Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do I overcome the roadblocks when transitioning to Raw Vegan?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 22, 2008 01:49PM

Hi all,

'Kay, so I've been vegetarian for about 7 years or so now, vegan for about 11 months, and over the last 2 or 3 months, I've been reading up on and experimenting with raw veganism, specifically Natural Hygiene.

I've run into a few roadblocks though, and I was hoping for some advice.

I'm bored. I had a similar problem with veganism until I started exploring exotic quisines such as Indian and Chinese, but with the Raw thing there's just not that much to draw on for inspiration, especially if you're trying to minimise processing. Any ideas?

Calories and binges. I find it nearly impossible to consume the same amount of calories I used to on a cooked diet due to the bulk and water content. I'm not hungry, but every now and again I get this overwhelming urge for something heavy like pasta or cous-cous or a pastie or something. That could have something to do with the lower salt intake as well though, because I always find I'm craving saltiness at the same time.

Potassium. The high potassium content of this diet is potentially a problem for me. I'm on Spironolactone, which is a Potassium-sparing diurhetic, and I know it's causing problems, because I'm a lot more prone to cramps than ever before.

So, any ideas?

Thanks again, and Blessed Be!

Simone

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do I overcome the roadblocks when transitioning to Raw Vegan?
Posted by: shaine ()
Date: January 22, 2008 02:44PM

when I have a little salt, I tend to overeat.
when I have zero salt (or only that in celery/tomatoes) I don't crave it.

I don't know what your diurhetic is for, but maybe without added salt, you won't need it anymore?

My inspiration is trying new fruits and vegetables that I never even noticed before I was raw. And all the complements about seeming to "glow"--especially my eyes. And really tasting truly--not just swallowing.

If you're transitioning, I think its well worth it to try the gourmet dishes...they're pretty amazing. And eventually you won't want them. But until them, there's no benefit to austerity and asceticism. This lifestyle should be about joy, otherwise what is life? It's a really spectacular place to be alive--don't shut out experiences for dogma's sake.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2008 02:45PM by shaine.

Date: January 22, 2008 02:49PM

Well, the diurhetic is pretty-much non-optional. Part of another transition I'm going through...

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 22, 2008 02:58PM

Simone:

-Hello & congratulations on making healthy choices! Some thoughts:

1) You WON'T be bored when what you are doing is an ABSOLUTLEY NECESSARY tool to reach YOUR goals. If you identify healthy eating as a absolutely necessary tool - then you'll find a way to do it. There are literally 1000's of varieties of fresh fruits, vegetables & nuts....along with juices, smoothies, sprouts, etc. Not to mention the many healthier 'transitional' foods that you may choose to utilize. Fresh fruit / cut fruit platters are always simple and fun.

2) Analyze the overall % level of raw you are eating NOW. Be HONEST about where you are VERY COMFORTABLE. Make VERY SMALL, incremental changes (with timetables) and give yourself a generous timeframe of perhaps 6-12 months to make the necessary changes. Celery and other sodium rich foods can help. If you must eat/add salt...and that helps you increase your intake of fresh, raw plant foods - I support you 100%

3) Just journal and research the foods you are eating. Do a Google for 'Nutrient Database' and look up the potassium content of foods...and avoid the potassium-rich ones...if you are so inclined.

-Have fun. Remember there are no raw food police. Only YOUR goals - that you have intelligently researched...and your daily coping mechanisms and attitudes that allow you to get there!

-Strength to you!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: January 22, 2008 03:23PM

davidzanemason Wrote:

> 3) Just journal and research the foods you are
> eating. Do a Google for 'Nutrient Database' and
> look up the potassium content of foods...and avoid
> the potassium-rich ones...if you are so inclined.

I use CRON-ometer to track my nutritional intake. It was built by and for the Calorie Restriction Longevity crowd, but it uses the standard USDA nutrient database, so it's useful for everyone. It's open source, free software, a java program, so have a look!

Problem is, the potassium rich foods also tend to be the highest in calories - staple foods like bananas and avocados and potatoes and stuff. How do you actually get enough energy in without those?

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: January 24, 2008 02:44PM

Be the roadblock for a second and ask, "Why am I here?" You are not the roadblock, or maybe not even the road.

For...I know not what you are and am infinitely grateful for that.

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables