Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Compromise: Organic or Cooked?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 22, 2008 01:51PM

So, I switched to organic at more or less the same time as I started testing the Raw waters, and I'm finding that my budget simply can't cope at the moment. So the question is, what's the better compromise to make: Buy conventional produce, or supplement your organic produce with cheaper cooked foods?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Compromise: Organic or Cooked?
Date: January 22, 2008 02:04PM

i would say conventional raw over organic. what's the use of all that nice organic food if you go and cook it? what a waste.

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: January 22, 2008 02:34PM

I'm too poor to do any organic--save for the occasional sale on carrots or something. But on conventional raw, I'm still much happier/energetic/glowing than on my previous organic vegan COOKED ways.

Otherwise, organic bananas are still pretty cheap. And there are lists of which produce are most important to get organic, and which don't make much difference. (google...)
If I wasn't 100%, I might try to stay organic throughout, including cooked.

ps--Sprouting!!!

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Date: January 22, 2008 02:43PM

That was my feeling as well - just wanted to get some expert, and for that matter enthusiastic non-expert winking smiley opinions on it.

Date: January 22, 2008 02:44PM

Thanks! BTW...

Posted by: shaine ()
Date: January 22, 2008 02:49PM

enthusiastic: yes.
expert: at nothing.

measure twice, cut once.

"In Watermelon Sugar the deeds were done and done again as my life is done in watermelon sugar." ~r.brautigan

I make paintings

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 22, 2008 03:59PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i would say conventional raw over organic. what's
> the use of all that nice organic food if you go
> and cook it? what a waste.

I'd completely agree. I'm sure this has been asked before with most people saying the same.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 22, 2008 04:25PM

Yes. Make small steps and make the changes that are right for YOU. Buying expensive organic produce is not a 'rite of entry' for eating healthy. You can/will make tremendous gains....far and above 99.99% of the population....with an intelligent program of conventional produce. Just my experience / opinion.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 22, 2008 05:37PM

Raw conventional is more than fine. Organic bananas are DEFINITELY affordable, but I'm not going to pay $6 for one little carton of organic raspberries when I can go to the Chinese market and get three of the same sized cartons for $1-2 total. I'd rather eat raspberries everyday, than organic raspberries once every paycheck. ^.^

I am finding that organic is more flavorful, sometimes more filling, and perhaps this will be the case as I am on the raw longer; but people also say once you're done transitioning, your desire to eat will be much less. Perhaps when I reach that point I can afford to buy more organic.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: January 22, 2008 06:19PM

I also switched to almost all organic when I first went raw. In many cases I do find that the produce is more flavorful and colorful, but sometimes it is way too expensive. Now, after reading "The China Study" I'm not as concerned about only eating organic. Yes, it is better for our bodies and definitely better for the planet, but from what I've read, a diet of whole plant based foods...especially raw, has enough health promoting benefits to enable our bodies to deal with the toxins that may be present in conventionally grown produce. There were several studies cited in the book that showed no negative effect from common agricultural chemicals when the subjects were eating a whole food, plant based diet. I can not recommend this book enough. In my opinion, cheaper cooked foods will make you less able to process toxins... whole raw conventionally grown produce would be far superior.

Good luck and aloha, Greg

Date: January 22, 2008 06:42PM

MauiGreg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also switched to almost all organic when I first
> went raw. In many cases I do find that the
> produce is more flavorful and colorful, but
> sometimes it is way too expensive. Now, after
> reading "The China Study" I'm not as concerned
> about only eating organic. Yes, it is better for
> our bodies and definitely better for the planet,
> but from what I've read, a diet of whole plant
> based foods...especially raw, has enough health
> promoting benefits to enable our bodies to deal
> with the toxins that may be present in
> conventionally grown produce. There were several
> studies cited in the book that showed no negative
> effect from common agricultural chemicals when the
> subjects were eating a whole food, plant based
> diet. I can not recommend this book enough. In
> my opinion, cheaper cooked foods will make you
> less able to process toxins... whole raw
> conventionally grown produce would be far
> superior.
>
> Good luck and aloha, Greg

Thanks Greg - that sounds very interesting. I'll have a look if I can track the book down.

Blessed Be,

Simone

Posted by: corizza ()
Date: January 22, 2008 10:40PM

I just switched to buying all organic produce because I found a place where i can get it just as cheap, and sometimes cheaper than regular produce. I've found my skin has cleared up dramatically since I made the organic switch. BUT I have started eating some cooked brown rice and sometimes lentils, but I still feel just as amazing as I did before.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 23, 2008 05:28PM

There are a lot of AMAZINGLY cheap door-to-door organic produce deals in Toronto. I, unfortunately, live 20-30 minutes OUTSIDE of Toronto, and do not get to cash in on the delights. .\/. (mad face!) Strangely, sometimes the cities have advantages.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 24, 2008 07:10AM

I'd say, stay raw, and buy organic when you can afford it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables