Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Puffy?
Posted by: claire ()
Date: January 25, 2008 01:11PM

Hi all

I often wake up with a really puffy face...goes away during the morning, but was just wondering what that is about...

Does anyone know?

Day 3 of all raw! smiling smiley

Claire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Puffy?
Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: January 25, 2008 02:39PM

Personally, I find puffy faces sexy, provided it is a female puffy face ;~V

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: January 26, 2008 12:27AM

yes it might have to do with hydration levels.

i used to suffer from the puffiness hardcore.

i upped my fruit intake and exercise regimen and water consumption, and i rarely ever get puffy now in the mornings.

do you eat a lot of tomatos or celery?

i noticed a big improvement when i started eating bananas. i have no idea why, but i started eating lots of bananas, and the puffies went away.

oranges seem to be antiinflamitory also.

cardio exercise especially rebounding helps tons, too.

i think it could also have to do with enough blood flow getting into your eyes or something. when you exercise it's supposed to move the bloods around. i am no scientist, this is just my experience.

do you eat before you go to sleep? that could be another factor.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 26, 2008 01:34AM

Sounds like a fairly common detox-type symptom. So no worries. Try making slower changes...and as suggested....don't eat a couple of hours before bedtime. Get additional sleep, and drink plenty of pure water. Just some suggestions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 26, 2008 01:52AM

It could be salt or products with salt in them, including braggs aminos, nama shoyu, miso, dulse, sea salt, himalayan salt, sauerkraut, etc.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: January 26, 2008 02:22AM

I get puffy in the morning when I eat too many nuts in the evening. The fattier my meals the day before, the more puffy I am the next day. However, what Bryan says makes sense, too--since I eat the nuts in different dishes that usually include a lot of sodium. :-P

Lots of love and nonpuffy morning face to you,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Date: January 26, 2008 08:00AM

Thanks for all your interesting comments!

I do eat a lot of tomatoes and celery and I also often eat fairly close to bedtime to make sure my blood sugar is high enough to guarantee I wake up again (diabetic)! Also I am not exercising as much at the moment because I have an injury. So all these things would make sense!

Thanks again

Claire

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: January 26, 2008 09:12AM

yes fat is a huge contributor to puffiness.

before you cut back on the tomato and celery, if you are eating any form of extracted salts or large ammounts of overt fats, i'd cut those out first. they seem to be way bigger contributors to the puffidoofies.

maybe incorperate a yoga practice into your routine if you can't incorperate a cardio regimen.

good luck!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 26, 2008 02:59PM

would you be interested in a little dry brush massage first thing in the morning? to get the lymph moving along.
always brush towards the heart. you can google lots of info on how-to.

Date: January 26, 2008 09:41PM

I love this forum...so many interesting comments.

Thanks guys!

Claire

Posted by: Seabucktho ()
Date: January 26, 2008 11:19PM

The puffiness is interstitial fluid, and it can have many causes, including impaired organ function, particularly heart, liver or kidney; electrolyte (particularly salt and potassium) imbalance; sluggish lymph; weak vascular function; etc.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 27, 2008 04:08AM

Young coconut water is supposed to be great for electrolytes/potassium/a bunch of other fun things as well. Maybe that could help? =)

Posted by: Arkay ()
Date: January 28, 2008 07:24AM

Seabucktho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The puffiness is interstitial fluid, and it can
> have many causes, including impaired organ
> function, particularly heart, liver or kidney;
> electrolyte (particularly salt and potassium)
> imbalance; sluggish lymph; weak vascular function;
> etc.

That is exactly right. I have made myself all puffed up and really "drained" or "taut" (opposite of puffiness) in the past while doing experiments drinking various solutions of various potassium and sodium salts (chlorides, bicarabonates, iodides, etc...) in my bad old "mad scientist" days. The balance between these substances "drives the osmotic pump" that carries fluids and substances into and out of your cells.

Food like bananas and celery mentioned here will help; they contain potassium and are diuretics. You can also try two tablespoonfuls of apple cider vinegar with about a 1/3 teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate (Baking Soda) thrown in, to neutralize the acidity of the vinegar. When it all stops fizzing, add water to dilute it (half-full or full drinking glass) and drink it down. Try that before sleep, and you should wake up without the puffiness.

Exercise also definitely helps a lot, through several mechanisms. Exercise is especially effective against puffiness under the eyes (eye bags). IF the puffiness persists no matter what you try, then see a doctor (of the type that you trust/believe in), as there might be something serious behind it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables