Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

another overeater! encouragement please
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: January 27, 2008 05:33PM

I have slowly been improving my diet from SAD vegetarian to effortlessly high-raw vegan (non-raw being steamed veggies, legumes, and grains only rarely) over the past seven years (I'm 24)--so I feel pretty good about the WHAT of my diet. Lots of greens and fresh fruit, limited daily fat for energy/satiety.

But I've always been somewhat of a recreational eater. Not emotional so much (if anything stress makes me lose my appetite), but for fun--if I ate SAD, I'd have been quickly obese, but overeating healthy foods can really limit your weight gain. The past six months I've worked a lot at refining my diet, stopping recreational eating, giving my digestive system time to rest. I've learned so much and have come down to 107/8 pounds, which is more of an ideal weight for me as I'm short with tiny bones.

But every so often (usually on the weekends, but not every weekend--there's more free time, often other people are drinking), I kind of go on a little binge, and eat fruit and nuts and sometimes dried fruit until I'm uncomfortably full. The fun of eating is greater at that moment than any other feeling. I HAVE experienced the "I'm satiated--food is not appealing" feeling, but it doesn't always kick in like it should. It needs to kick in!

I can't keep overeating--
-I can't digest and get BAD bloating and gas (I thought I had IBS until the last 6 months--til I stopped overeating regularly!)
-it makes you feel like physical crap (mucous, etc)
-waste of time--I need to be focused on other things, including other people I care about and projects to complete
-I either can't stop eating, or I wait until I'm hungry again, which might not be for another day and a half (I do recognize true hunger)! I don't feel like I'm sacrificing at ALL to not eat when I'm still full and digesting, but it seems unfair and unstable to my body to have it eat double in one day (I probably double my calories, which is easy to do with nuts and dried fruit--usually I focus on water-rich food for that reason)

I had an epiphany last night that I will not be struggling with this my whole life, and that I have more important things to do than waste my energy on food. But I overate last night, and feel physically uncomfortable today--sorry for the long post, but any encouragement would be appreciated. It's almost like the constant snacking I used to do got replaced by occasional big bursts.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: another overeater! encouragement please
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 27, 2008 06:06PM

I hear you. It must be frustrating, but it sounds like even the poorer things you are doing (or believe you are doing) are STILL very healthy, intelligent...and headed in the right direction! Good for you!

Opinion:

-With intelligent minds (like yours) the problem ceases to be 'having a problem' (which we all have on occasion).....and becomes 'having a problem WITH having a problem'...which is a much more powerful and prolonged pathology. The former is something we cannot necessarily change. The latter is a cumulative function of our output/attitude in any given moment - which we are free to change.

-Reduce the focus on what you 'can't' do...and 'shouldn't' - and brainstorm....write down...and focus on the VERY SMALL goals (the things you are PREPARED and MOTIVATED to do on a daily basis to reach your goals). This turns a negative agenda into a positive one. Keep full on what YOU have decided are healthier alternatives. Eat BEFORE you leave the house - so that you are always arriving someplace full - and bring a snack (like a few apples).

-Just some suggestions, which I hope are helpful. Power to you.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: January 27, 2008 06:38PM

David you are wise beyond your years. yet another wonder post from david. I want to encourage you rost, One thought is to assess what you are eating and perhaps eat mono for a while and see how that makes you feel. I am wondering if you are getting enough nutrients and craving foods to supply that lost nutrients. Perhaps a parasite cleanse? Sometimes overeating does not even have anything to do with food but a need that is not being filled??
best wishes to you
Pam

Date: January 27, 2008 10:49PM

Thank you for your thoughtful replies and encouragement, and yes, I love David's approach. It's for sure appetite and not hunger, I am not craving anything. I just like to eat sometimes, and I am trying to really develop the ability to hear my body saying, "I'm full, leave me alone for awhile!" Part of it is probably cabin fever--there is an emptiness, because when it's so cold and you're stuck inside, things get very boring! So I have to really work on developing things that I can do indoors for my development.

"-With intelligent minds (like yours) the problem ceases to be 'having a problem' (which we all have on occasion).....and becomes 'having a problem WITH having a problem'...which is a much more powerful and prolonged pathology. The former is something we cannot necessarily change. The latter is a cumulative function of our output/attitude in any given moment - which we are free to change."

The above is really great food for thought. I am working on self-study--working to see where I am and how I can realistically stretch myself should help. Thank you!

Date: January 28, 2008 03:05AM

After reading the responses and thinking about it, I had a revelation. I am going through a lot of self-study and development, and I believe that my overeating is a **way of grounding myself** while I go through this process (similar to slowing a detox with heavier foods). So it's not directly emotional, but indirectly related.

This is an incredible realization. This makes me realize:
-some overeating (and I am clearly on the path to overeating less and less) will happen as I go through this, because true permanent change tends to be gradual and there will be some slow-downs.
-I can choose to do other things that ground me, before I overeat, and then decide *after* if that did what I needed. And then I can overeat if I desire, and sometimes I will not want to
-I can allow myself to be grounded but need to stretch myself so I keep growing, and not allow myself to go backwards. Thus self-awareness is imperative.

Thanks again for all the warm thoughts.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: January 28, 2008 07:34PM

Kudos to all of you! Great thread!

Also recognizing that for me a recent important step was to recognize TENDENCIES of eating, rather than going by what/how much/when/weight/percentages. I am more on an exploratory journey learning to listen in rather than demanding immediate results. Powerful!

nibs

Date: January 28, 2008 08:55PM

That is a great reminder, looking at tendencies instead of numbers and "results". And I should be grateful, my diet and overeating have come so far, I'm healthy and at a healthy weight. I just need to keep refining and learning what works for me, and know I can make it through and past those times when I want to keep eating.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables