Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

getting started
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 28, 2008 03:35PM

Hi everyone!

I am preparing to embark on a raw foods lifestyle, and I'm so glad I found this forum! It will be wonderful to have encouragement and a place to go for advice and answers to the many questions I have.

For me, it's not even about losing weight anymore. Well, I could stand to lose about 30-40 pounds and certainly I'll be happy if that happens. But at this point, I just want to feel better. Most days, especially in the afternoons, I have such an intense feeling of fatigue and fogginess that I can barely function. I'm prone to feeling depressed if I don't have productive days, and I'm easily overwhelmed by the responsibilities of being a single mother and homeowner.

Needless to say, I think I'm living a vicious cycle of being too tired to get anything done, then feeling depressed because I can't keep up with all my responsibilities, then I try to make myself feel better with food.

The thing that worries me is giving up the things I love, even though I know my health and well being depend on it. I love to cook, and baking is an especially enjoyable and relaxing pastime for me. I make a wickedly good steak pizza, I'm addicted to cheese, and I love pasta.

I already have a decent blender that I believe will suffice for now, and I'm ordering Boutenko's Green for Life book and probably the 12 Steps to Raw Foods book also.

I hope to get a juicer within the next few days.

I tend to be an "all or nothing" type person. I don't seem to be disciplined enough to allow myself one little cheat and just leave it at that. For this reason, I had planned to start this new lifestyle "cold turkey." Now I'm wondering if that is the best way or not. I have read so many things about the detox process and what a shock to the system it can be if done too suddenly and quickly.

So, all that just to give you some background on myself, and now just a few basic questions:

1) Should I begin cold turkey as I had originally planned, or would a more gradual approach be better? If you advocate a gradual approach, can you refer me to any books that outline a plan?

2) When can I expect to feel better physically?

3) Will I eventually get to the point that I really don't care if I ever eat another steak, pizza, cheese, warm bread, etc?

4) How do you handle the skepticism and pressures from friends and family members who are eating SAD?

Thanks everyone! I'm excited to get started on this new lifestyle and maybe even make some friends of like mind here!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: getting started
Posted by: joanna2007 ()
Date: January 28, 2008 04:08PM

Hi Rawked, welcome!

Well, I've been transitioning raw since the beginning of Dec. and at first, I went to fast... I have kids as well, and let me tell you, I had a hard time with detoxing to quickly! Now, of course everyone is different-- alot of people, on this forum, have transitioned from say, vegan, or from just eating cooked/raw veggies... they seem to have an easier detox from what I have read. My case is quite the opposite... I smoke (trying to quit), don't drink, eat lots of cooked foods, including the icky ones-- meat, dairy, etc. I also am trying to quit caffeine and sugar... so needless to say, my detox came on immediately--- I just had to sleeps... headaches, irritability, feeling exhausted... not exactly how I was hoping to feel, ya know! I am transitioning to raw for many reasons but the main is like yours.... tired of being tired! Keeping up with two kids with zero energy is awful!!! So, enough about me!

You can try cold turkey, I pray you don't feel as crappy as I did- or you can take your time so you can function! Just my opinion, of course, but I just couldn't do it cold turkey-- I was just tooooo exhausted!!

If you can, post your journal- so we all can see how you are doing! I started mine but I haven't been doing it daily like I'd like to. Anyway- here are some answers to some of your questions... hope I helped a little. You will have lots of people helping and they are alot more knowledgable than I - considering most of them are %100 raw... (me one day hopefully!) and have been for a long time.

Good luck and hope to read about your journey!!!

1. As above, I would recommend gradual- just because of what I experienced.
Doug Graham's book 80/10/10 is a great book!
2. After your detoxing subsides!
3. Can't answer that one, as I'm not there yet!
4. Just be a good example, and they may follow your lead... once they see your
results they will be eating their words!!

I love my juicer- breville- under $100- loooove my yummy juices!!

good luck again, and keep us posted!!
sincerely,
joanna

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 28, 2008 04:13PM

I can try to answer your questions from my own experience. >.>

I tried to go cold turkey 100% raw, and it had its difficult moments. I was also previously cooked vegan/50% raw beforehand. If you have the drive and willpower to stick to your decision, I think you can do it, as long as you don't punish yourself whenever you slip up; if you're worried about detox, and/or symptoms you experience are really rough, you can always slow down with a healthier cooked diet and gradually increase your raw. Fresh fruit for breakfast (and nothing but!) is an awesome way to kickstart your transition.

When will you start to feel better? It is impossible to say. The first few weeks of eating raw, that question was all I could think about. Then it felt like I was "digging" for something... and then, finally, I started noticing moments of intense clarity and happiness that happen more frequently now. I read it takes one month of eating raw to heal one year of eating SAD... so expect lots of gradual improvements over time. Some improvements will also take you to a level of life previously unknown to you, they transcend the physical. About a month in, I had a week where I broke out everywhere on my body I used to wear perfume oils. You'll start to have an open dialogue with your body.

Getting rid of cravings is the WORST, especially in the beginning. When I went vegetarian, I did it cold turkey. When I went vegan, I did it cold turkey. Nothing bothered me either of those times. When I went 100% raw, I had animal cravings for french fries smothered in cream cheese. The good news is, it doesn't last forever, and if you have to have something cooked, try a baked potato! When your palate adjusts, you'll be shocked to discover a new complexity to many flavors you thought you knew before.

A lot of people say "my doctor said" works magic, for people such as coworkers, or family you don't have to live with. Resistance from intimate relationships is the toughest. For a while, my boyfriend was very upset with me and said I was taking my veganism to "a creepy extreme." I think he felt like our previous lifestyle together was under fire--everyone loves going out for a date, sharing a meal, there's a lot about life that revolves around food. Ultimately, if you keep doing what's best for you, people WILL notice positive changes taking place. Sometimes you can also find a middle ground--have a fantastic salad when you do go out! (It took me about a week of eating salads with no dressing until I learned/healed to appreciate the taste, but it will come, and you will love it). My boyfriend never complains if I feed him oranges in bed for breakfast...

My last advice is to start trying new foods and making new things, so you think less about "giving up" the old ones. There are a million awesome books about raw gourmet, as well as sites for free like goneraw.com with tons of recipes. If you live near an Asian market, CHECK IT OUT! Try some durian, cherimoyas, sapotes, hollies, jackfruit. Learn to sprout (I live and die for hummus, so now I sprout my chickpeas). People still ask me how I deal with a lack of variety, and with fifteen different types of juicy, exotic, aromatically ripe varieties of fruit in my fridge, I just smile.

I can promise this will be one of the most rewarding journeys of your life. Best wishes!

Posted by: gonenuts ()
Date: January 30, 2008 12:09AM

I'm 4 weeks in and still figuring it all out. THis message board helps alot with questions and answers. The best advice of all has been to set your personal goals. Which I now have. The food is amazing with some good books you get great ideas. Though I made a mistake today and ate black bean salad (I guess not raw) and my stomach is a mess, I'm bloated ugh. but it goes to show you that our bodies speak to us and let us know what we should and shouldn't eat.
Enjoy! Everyday is a new and exciting journey, I'm a mother of 3 teens and hoping that they will pick up on the good it does eventually, but for now I'm still making them Sauce and Turkey meatballs.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 30, 2008 12:20AM

The above posts are great. Here's my take: If you start out slow...and your detox is easy...and you are setting small goals....with timetables....and keeping them for a lifetime....then you can ALWAYS increase the pace. If you fail at things though....you deflate of all psychic steam...so to speak. Regulate your own detox...so that you are only stretching from where you are comfortable right now. Don't make ANY goal...or do anything good...unless you are prepared to do it for a lifetime. This means setting goals VERY SMALL - and being HONEST about what you are MOTIVATED and PREPARED to do on a daily basis.

-Be passionate and do what you love. This is the only true defense/solution to just about ANYTHING negative.

-You should start feeling well...if you are consistent...with just a few weeks. But give yourself a generous 6-12 month time frame to hit your initial raw goals. It didn't take you 30 days to arrive where you are now....and it might take some weeks, months, or even years to make all the small emotional, physical, spiritual and lifestyle changes that will allow to live most happily.

-Remember....being healthy...and eating healthy can never truly be satisfying as an END. You HAVE to have goals that NECESSITATE eating well....in your mind....on a fundamental level. If you totally accept that at the root of your soul....then eating well becomes as logical as using a hammer to drive a nail. It's still work...but its the only real tool for the job! LOL.

-I handle skepticism from family and friends (although this never happens) by not making my diet an issue. I tell them what my dietary goals are. But when I go out to eat with them - I eat before I go...or maybe snack on an apple or two. I tell them I am there to support THEM. Always respond to criticism with the same type of response: "Thank you - I've heard your concerns and appreciate them." If your loved ones can't support YOUR dreams and YOUR happiness....then you need to let them know (without necessarily saying so)....that they are missing out on a great joy.....and that you will miss spending time with them.

-You'll get great support from the folks on this board - including myself. Power to you!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: February 01, 2008 02:33PM

Hey Joanna- Thanks for the encouragement! You guys have all been great. I have not gotten my juicer yet, hopefully I'll be able to soon. I've been looking at the Lequip Mini. It's about $100 (which is my price range for now), and it seemed to get pretty good reviews on the living-foods.com website. I mainly just want to juice carrots, apples and other hard stuff like that.

I have made smoothies with my blender the last couple of days and that has been fun. I hope to get the Boutenko books I ordered today, then I'll actually have some recipes to follow. My experiments haven't been bad, I just would like a bit more guidance in the beginning.

I'm still not sure how to start. For now I have made a committment to have a green smoothie every morning. That "all or nothing" tendency I have is still pretty strongly pushing me to go raw all at once, and yet part of me is afraid of failure and the frustration that would bring. I'm trying to come up with some sort of compromise that would satisfy my personality and yet ease the transition. For example, 100% raw for two days, then a day of 50% raw and 50% cooked vegetables, grains, maybe a small piece of meat. Gradually I could increase the 100% raw days before doing the partial raw day, until I no longer felt I needed it. Just an idea...

I do know I would like to be in a fairly good routine and beginning to feel some of the physical benefits of it before trying to explain or at least announce my new lifestyle to friends/family.

I am so glad I found this forum.

Date: February 01, 2008 03:03PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -Remember....being healthy...and eating healthy
> can never truly be satisfying as an END. You HAVE
> to have goals that NECESSITATE eating well....in
> your mind....on a fundamental level. If you
> totally accept that at the root of your
> soul....then eating well becomes as logical as
> using a hammer to drive a nail. It's still
> work...but its the only real tool for the job!

> -David Z. Mason

This is an awesome piece of advice that is truly inspirational. I have written it down on paper, and have been considering and clarifying my goals. I've worried about my motivation for choosing this lifestyle, but I have come to the place where I truly believe that the majority of our health problems are directly related to the foods we eat. I know that we are mortal and that no matter what we do our bodies will eventually give out, but it's not about living forever, or necessarily even longer. It's about living, period.

It angers me when I hear people say, "Hey, we're all gonna die so I'm at least going to enjoy myself while I'm alive." First of all, this implies that anyone who strives to be healthy through their food and activity choices is apparently not having fun in the process. Secondly, and more importantly, I have of late let myself make such unhealthy choices (for enjoyment's sake?!) that I no longer feel like I can truly enjoy life.

So, I am choosing this lifestyle precisely BECAUSE I want to enjoy life while I still have it, and I believe the choices I make every day will either support or weaken my endeavor.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 01, 2008 03:46PM

"So, I am choosing this lifestyle precisely BECAUSE I want to enjoy life while I still have it, and I believe the choices I make every day will either support or weaken my endeavor."

You got it Rawked! You've got a great attitude and it will serve you well on your journey. It sounds like you will thrive in this lifestyle! Congrats.

Aloha, Greg

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 01, 2008 03:54PM

Good advice everyone! Rawked, you sound like you are right on track.

I have struggled with trying to be 100% raw for about 10 years - the hardest is our multiple relatives and social events that revolve around food. Instead of beating myself up over the occasional meals "out," I choose the healthiest food on the menu (steamed veggies, brown rice, etc.) and eat a raw breakfast and sometimes a raw (or at least an alkaline) lunch.

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate with being a single mom and a homeowner - that's a ton of responsibility. I wouldn't suggest going 100% raw until you have learned how to prepare a plethora of raw dishes - that way if you want something "different" from your usual fare, you will have some things in mind to choose from... and not go nuts trying to fulfill your cravings with something really unhealthy.

Also - your focus on green smoothies is good. From a raging addict to sweets - I can tell you that COMPLETELY took away my cravings for cheese, chocolate, candy and sweets (which I used to not be able to function without - but had to learn, because I became diabetic!!!) They say a big reason people crave chocolate and sweets is due to lack of minerals - calcium being one of them - the greens are going to cover that, and hence take away the craving. I'd assume that since cheese has calcium, greens might help you deal with that too.

Good luck on your raw journey!!

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 01, 2008 06:11PM

rawked, I started last June by just diveing in head first and flopping around. I had headachs from not drinking coffee I was able to quit smoking to boot.
I think the wheatgrass juice helped with quiting smoking. I use to eat snickers bars for breakfast lunch and dinner. I lived chips and everything else junkey. Especially bread. I ate meat as well.
From June till Thanks-giving I was raw. I lost 90 pounds and I felt so good. My family was proud of me and starting to rethink their eating habits. My youngest call me an old hippy lol. When I stoped eating raw during the holidays I slowly lost the great feeling My body hurt again and I started to get that brain fog back I wanted to get back to raw again however I kept eating the cooked foods. Kinda like a junkey for its drugs. So I fasted, drinking only water for 10 days. That cleaned me out real well Now one step at a time I am re introducing myself to raw foods. Kinda like you feed a baby.
What I want to say is what ever steps you take towards your goal will aid you in reaching the bulls eye. But you have to make that goal and work towards it every minute of the day. If you fail that it more healthy to see a failed step as a learning experiance rather than beat yourself up over it. Make experiments with the many different remidiea there are and read, read read. The internet has much to offer on this subject and you can find many books in the library.
I will turn 50 this year and my goal was to be raw I made that goal last june. I think I will make it. Set your goal and along the way give it some adjustments.
Theres no better way to live than the raw way
smiles to you you will achieve your goal
Pam

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables