Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

agave
Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: January 30, 2008 08:32AM

i was trying to research agave since most of the recipes that i am interested in call for agave. is agave similar to honey or no? i was looking on this website and the agave which i saw looked like a consistancy of honey, but i could be wrong. is there more than one form of this...powder, liquid.? thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: agave
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 30, 2008 11:16AM

I'd say it is more similar to maple syrup, but it is also like some kinds of runny honey. It's a liquid, it comes from the Agave cactus like plant. Unless it's labelled raw, it will have been cooked during processing. Raw agave is processed, but at low temperatures to concentrate it.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 30, 2008 02:17PM

I'd say the main difference that people would choose agave as a liquid sweetener is because it does not exploit/take from non-human animals and also does not cause (or so they say) spikes in blood sugar. I do love agave - it's very sweet, and yes, liquidy, and easy to find raw in my area.

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: January 31, 2008 07:34AM

I got some nice info about raw sweeteners on www.welikeitraw.com by Daniel Vitalis: an interview with the alchemist:

[www.welikeitraw.com]

He says to look out for agave on the market which have artificial sweeteners added, make sure you get a reliable brand. There seems to be a limited supply of real agave compared to the demand on the market.
The other thing I learned is something about glucose and fructose. Honey has more glucose and will be better if you need a quick fix to get your bloodsugar up. Agave has more fructose which works differently.

Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: January 31, 2008 09:26AM

thanks everyone. i appreciate it. i did purchase some raw foods over the internet. i forget what they were called, but the cookies i recieved with agave included: coconut, raw cashews, lemon zest, lemon juice and agave. i made my own from raw items at my house minus the agave since i didnt know what it was or where to get it. the one's which i purchased were extremely sweet. i have to say that i do like mine better since they were more on the tart side. but agave would be useful in other recipes i found. like raw cake or raw brownies. do you guys think it would be better to purchase online or is agave available in stores.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 31, 2008 02:16PM

Depends on where you live. Health food stores usually have it and Trader Joe's now carries it, though not sure if theirs is raw; it doesn't say.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables