Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

i don't known what planet these tangerines came from
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 30, 2008 03:06PM

I woke up at 5 AM and these tangerines that a friend just nonchalantly gave to me a few days before ( she picked them from the tree of her friend's) were calling out to me.

the skin came off like paper
and the fragrance alone was riotous
but the TASTE!!!

wowwwoowwowowoo!

it just blew me away

i have NEVER EVER
and i repeat
EVERRRR!!

tasted tangerines like THAT before

and i have had PLENTY of oranges, tangerines etc. in my life

all i can say was

WHAT was in that soil?

must of been highly mineralized

i had this wild urge

to find out where this person's backyard was

and just mob the ENTIRE tree LOL smiling smiley

but ( like the good person that i am)

i restrained myself from doing so

a gift is a gift

i will always treasure these tangerines that woke me up to a different realm

of being

i know that i may sound as if i am joking

but really i am not

i hadn't eaten much these last few days

mostly juices

so maybe that is what accentuated my senses

but nevertheless

these tangerines were VERY exceptional

it made me even more permanently in awe of the majesty of the lowly soil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i don't known what planet these tangerines came from
Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: January 30, 2008 03:15PM

Would you give
to lil' old me?
One tangerine...
When you'd have the whole tree?

Thanks for your beautiful post.

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: January 30, 2008 03:33PM

Those tangerines came from Mother Earth.

I had a 4 liter basket of peaches like that last summer. My boyfriend and I sat down and devoured the entire thing. I went back to the grocery store the next day, and they were all gone.

Can't wait for Ontario's local peach season to start this year... XD

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 30, 2008 03:38PM

phantom, where you be? we are here in essex county now, klassen gets our visits all summer long, mmm.

Date: January 30, 2008 03:38PM

enlightenment now

HA HA!
silly me, i actually ate ALL of them

which means i must resort to plan A
( which I was trying to avoid in order to not have to take down the " Moral and Upstanding Citizen" award from my wall LOL

must dress up in my ninja outfit ( which has little citrusleaves embroidered on the sleeves) and stealthily mobilize myself up tangerine tree

to pilfer one out of this world delectable fruit

for YOU!

then u will know that i speak the truth of this divine orange colored orb

i swear those tangerines DID something for me

though, i can hardly put it into words

it was like my entire being was singing a symphony

and it came at just the right time

after i had gone through a major (but quite exciting) ordeal which took a lot out of me but felt good about it afterwards and finally caught up on my sleep

so that helped... to be rested.. and in a calm place to notice in ENTIRETY

the beauty of this citrusy blessing that came my way

unforgettable

totally

Date: January 30, 2008 03:47PM

phantom

peaches have to be one of the most delicious things on earth ( second to those tangerines i ate, of course smiling smiley

good peaches are DEFINETELY worth scouting scavenging, searching out, and navigating all sorts of road maps lo and high

i had that experience once when this guy i met ( who had driven about 8 hours to sell at this farmer's market)

was presenting his "wares"

it was peaches and it was organic and it was a farm that his family had passed down from generation to generation

well, it was SO OBVIOUS that they took GREAT pride in growing their peaches

the fact that he had driven 8 hours said something

but proof was definetely in the puddin... (oops, i meant peaches)

as usual, a good fruit greets you with its aroma before it does with its taste
and this thing was perfume

u know when u have something REALLY good, it is hard to forget

i devoured those peaches as well.. so juicy... and i didn't care if it got all over me smiling smiley

Date: January 30, 2008 04:13PM

Coco,

I'm in Oakville, about 20-30 mins west of Toronto. And it is the perfect place for local cantaloupes and peaches when summer comes (I keep telling myself this while it's -20 degrees with 60km/hr winds blasting outside right now, brr). Essex is a little more southwestish?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 30, 2008 05:40PM

Sounds great! There are some wonderful varieties of tangerine around here in Central Florida. The Starburst kind...where the skin is paper thin and nearly fall off.....and the Honey Tangerines (or Murcotts) that are just wonderful. Live it up girl! (and guys!)

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: January 30, 2008 06:18PM

Wow! A peak fruit experience.

The cucumbers I got from the garden last summer for days on end were pretty special too probably because they were fresh picked. They had that certain sweet quality that you rarely get in store bought.

Phantom, coco

Maybe we'll see you at Sprouts for a potluck one of these days? Do you attend? I'm in TO but lived in Oakville for 19 years.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2008 06:24PM by Dulset.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: January 30, 2008 06:37PM

We are eating so much citrus right now. My oldest has been eating two or three grapefruit a day for over a month. We had Key Lime pie for dinner last night and It was really a hit with everyone but the two year old. Today we have been devouring oranges and tangerines. There is A yard on the highway with Satsumas going crazy on several bushes. I want to stop and ask if I can pick them but they are old and are always inside. I don't want to disturb them.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: January 30, 2008 07:24PM

pakd4fun- A lot of homebound retirees are happy to have visitors. If they are elderly you could offer to pick some for them too - especially if they're no longer up to it themselves.

Date: January 30, 2008 08:14PM

veronique, you are making it very hard to imagine enjoying the last little drying out honey tangerine in the fruit basket. good thing we are on our way to the grocery for some much needed juicy supplies! lovely lady, oranges of all kinds now dominate my hand written list...

phantom, we are at the southern most tip of canada here, truly southern ontario. only point pelee is more south than us. the fruit here is unflipping believable. klassen is a huge blueberry farm about 10 minutes from us and there are peaches everywhere, tons of road-side stands. leamington is close, it's the greenhouse capital of the world. of the WORLD. wow.

dulset, i am too far from the big gritty to come for dinner. i did have one of marie's sandwiches just after the new year while we were there visiting though. i still have a slice of that heavenly "bread" she makes in the fridge. i didn't want to eat it all up so that it would all be gone. i wonder if we already know eachother through the sprouty house. i wouldn't be surprised, i worked there for long enough!

Date: January 30, 2008 08:37PM

Coco, I have never been to Sprouts though I will be going soon for a potluck and now just to try the 'bread'. Was going to the potlucks in Kensington Market last summer. Leamington sounds lovely btw. Yes, Point Pelee is on the same latitude as northern California, a very warming thought.
Good for you for getting out of the gritty city.

Date: January 30, 2008 08:38PM

hey david

i know that florida is supposed to be THE citrus place
how do they taste?

do you grow your own murcots?

Posted by: ksandberg2002 ()
Date: January 30, 2008 09:12PM

la_veronique

I'm here in Jacksonville, FL and can tell you that the ones in the grocery store are just plain HORRIBLE! BUT...the other Saturday I was at the farmers market and these to women kept yelling "We have THEE best, sweetest tangerines around! You must try it for free!!" all the while stopping me in my tracks and almost shoving it down my throat, so I graciously tried one. It tasted as if you had read my mind and posted my thoughts on it! Not sure what "type" but WOW they were addicting! Going to go back this Saturday and stokcing up.

BTW, is it true that storing fruit in the frig. devoids them of their flavor?

Kim

Date: January 30, 2008 09:18PM

hey kim

that makes me smile ... so cool of them to give u some of those sweet tangerines

<<BTW, is it true that storing fruit in the frig. devoids them of their flavor?>>

probably but NOT the ones that I HAD!! LOL smiling smiley they seemed to be perfectly immune to such de-flavorization abuse though i do notice that putting fruit out in the sun makes them more flavorful ( but that is just a tactic that i employ on shamefully below par (flavor wise) fruit smiling smiley it brings out their sugars...

Date: January 31, 2008 12:35AM

dulcet, where did you go in kensington? that's the only place in the whole city i really miss. i have such a history there, i love that stinky place!

i got a box of clementines, the skins come off like paper and they are juicy sweet and deelish! yummy!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 31, 2008 01:15AM

Hey LaV! There are so many varieties that show up. So many people grow oranges....you can just collect them. The trucks run up and down the state road....and EVERY exit from the road has PILES of oranges just laying on the side of the road....that spill out of the trucks when they turn! LOL.

-No...not growing much of anything at the moment. I should be doing all my planting in the spring though.

-David Z.

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: January 31, 2008 02:27PM

Sprouts?! What is that?! I would be SO PSYCHED to attend a potluck. And meet raw fooders in person, wow, it sounds like something I've only read about on the internet. XD Does anyone have a link?

There is a farm I know of in Burlington... I forget what it's called... but they have fresh fruit-picking that you can do, which I will probably research when the weather starts to get warmer.

Date: January 31, 2008 03:56PM

David,

Oranges lying in the road, a wonderful scene for this Canadian to imagine right now thanks for that!

Coco - The potlucks last summer were on Nassau in the party room of the Kennsington Market Lofts.

Phantom - You are not alone! There's a raw potluck every month now - go here to get info, (I am Gunda btw).

[rawfood.meetup.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2008 03:59PM by Dulset.

Date: January 31, 2008 04:08PM

get out, that's so cool. i've never gone into the lofts, i guess i still resent the fact that my first year at george brown college had to be at castlegar instead of the k.mrkt campus, boo hoo! super sad for me as my bf lived right on the corner of nassau and augusta! next time i'm in town in march break, i'll see if there's a potluck happening then.

that box of clementines is more than half gone already! every time the baby sees me go for one she MmMMmMMmMMMmmMmMmM's until i give her a wedge. she gummed about ten to death last night! wedges, not clementines, heh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables