Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lots of Tooth and Bone Questions
Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 01, 2008 04:17PM

Hello all! Well, here I am to bug everyone with more questions!! :.)

I was going to put this in as two questions, but now I'm wondering if they're related. For one, I have a spot on my lower right leg that every once in a while feels like I have horrible shin splints, and I haven't been exercising or stretching any different at all! I did have a soccer injury there - someone kicked me REALLY hard with no shin guards in place. Ever since then it hurts occassionally, and when I think about it it's about a week after I have had no sources of calcium foods in my diet. This happens every time I really make a committment to get dairy out of my life. This time the committment's for good though, and although I have been eating a bunch of kale every day the pain is not going away, so I have added vitamin supplements back into my diet, and it's gone away. Has anyone else experienced this, at the site of an old bone injury? It's kind of like a calcium radar?

Also, my teeth have been feeling VERY on-edge for the last two weeks, and I think (as of yesterday) I know why - I have a wisdom tooth coming in! I was wondering, what can I do about tooth pain? My diet has been a green smoothie each morning, and a raw (or at least an alkaline cooked) meal for lunch, and a dairy/wheat free dinner. I started taking vitamin supplements again, thinking perhaps I was not eating ENOUGH greens (or enough minearls, like calcium). Victoria Boutenko recommends two bunches of leafy greens per day. I can get down one, but maybe that one is not enough. Is tooth pain normal? Are there any natural pain remedies that actually WORK?

Another question - I know there's a lot of things to talk about in this post! - Of course the dentist always wants to yank my wisdom teeth out - this is my third one - but I don't see the point in yanking out a perfectly good tooth. Has anyone else gone against what the dentist has said and let their wisdom teeth grow in? There was certainly some discomfort as my first two grew in, but I'm glad I kept them!! Now I don't gouge the empty spots in the back of my gums!! My son's teething ring does seem to help. LOL.

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2008 04:18PM by angie1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lots of Tooth and Bone Questions
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 01, 2008 05:10PM

Angie,

A dentist I had a long time ago told me that unless it was causing trouble you should try to keep your wisdom teeth because they can come in useful when we're old and need an extra tooth for a bridge or something. But wisdom teeth can be a real pain - I know I've been there.

Accupuncture and cupping can help with pain from an old injury.

Here's some info about calcium if you're interested

[www.drmcdougall.com]

Joseph looks very happy btw.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: February 01, 2008 05:39PM

I wish I had my wisdom teeth now. In fact I wish all my molars were nont rotten. Some where I was reading about someones chold having crooked teeth and a natural doctor perscribed eating raw carrots because they have to be chewed and you have to use your teeth for that. The teeth straightened out. When you get your wisdom teeth the other teeth are being pushed into another position. Gees I really don't know what to do about that kind of pain. Grin and bear it??? just joking. best of fortune to ya
Pam

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: February 01, 2008 07:00PM

isn't cherries a natural pain killer? I thought somebody told me that

Yeah I have to get two of my wisdom teeth out but two of them I get to keep because there was enough room for them to come in...wooohooo smiling smiley

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 02, 2008 12:19AM

Sharks, babies, jellyfish......some have teetch, none have bones, but so what. All are divine and you are too.

Be as divine as you are and love your fear. You are so much more than it.

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 02, 2008 02:13AM

clove oil on your teeth, numbs the area.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: February 02, 2008 03:23AM

EnlightenmentNow Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sharks, babies, jellyfish......some have teetch,
> none have bones, but so what. All are divine and
> you are too.
>
> Be as divine as you are and love your fear. You
> are so much more than it.
>
> Love,
> Paul
Are you kidding me?!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 02, 2008 03:41AM

After experiencing a living nightmare with my first two wisdom teeth being pulled (three hours of extraction, infection, cocktails of antibiotics and sickness for months to follow), right as everything started healing up, a hideously impacted tooth on the other side of my mouth started getting extremely irritated. I was so sick, I literally lost two months of my life from the first surgery, I wasn't about to do it again. NO WAY. .\/.

No conventional doctor or homeopath made the situation better. Sleuthing on the internet, I decided to try a short water fast, and immediately go 100% raw.

The pain subsided immediately, all irritation was gone within a week. I've since then stuck to 100% raw (with a few slipups, nothing major ^.~), and neither the pain, nor the inflammation or irritation came back--all the signs which suggested I originally get the remaining teeth pulled. My mouth in general has become a lot cleaner, some tartar buildup that I've had for a while has almost completely disappeared.

I only wish I had known about the benefits of going 100% raw and some basic rules of food combination when the first two teeth started bothering me. I was previously 50% raw/50% cooked vegan, doing green smoothies and the whole lot when I got the first infection--my advice would be to try increasing your raw (maybe to 100%?!), even if only for a week or two, and see what improves. I also cut all natural sweeteners--and, again, food combining helped a LOT. After trying so many things, the speed of healing caused by a simple dietary change was almost supernatural.

As for the pain in your leg--dairy is pretty toxic, so it's possible something in your leg is trying to heal when you stop eating dairy? If you consume a lot of greens, you should be getting plenty of calcium in a bioavailable source from those, no need to worry. =)

Date: February 02, 2008 12:55PM

Thanks, everyone!

That's funny that you guys mention carrots and cherries. I have been craving those (and eating them!!)

Dulset - what is "cupping?"

Phantom - wow - what an awful experience.

Thank God the fourth (Monday) is PAYDAY!! I'll be off to aquire more raw food!! [smile!] Currently I'm outta everything but green smoothie ingredients.

Angie

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: February 02, 2008 04:55PM

LOL!!!

i've never been a dairy lover, except for occasional raw cheese, but i've also NEVER broken a bone or had any bone problems. i think because dairy is so hard and bad for my body (personally) that i actually store more calcium from fresh greens and foods and seeds than from the 'usual' sources.

as for the teeth thing- i grew in one wisdom tooth- i called my mom b/c she had them all dug out as roots when i was younger (i remember the horrible surgery) and go figure, I went and grew back two top wisdom teeth in spite of the dental surgeons skill with the knife. i had this problem as a kid- i'd have missing teeth or other problems according to x-rays, but the real issue was my body was doing it on it's own timetable- meaning very delayed. so now i've been slowly growing in my other wisdom tooth for YEARS now. i have plenty of room, and if my teeth move a little, i'll actually close up a small gap in front. so i'm happy to have the extra tooth. as for the pain, it was bad for a while, but now i forget the thing is there. and i consider it sympathy pains for my little ones while they grow in their teeth.

clove oil does help a lot.

i remember some tooth sensitivity when first going raw, but i also changed my habits for brushing and stuff. now i consider oil-pulling and flossing more useful than brushing. i've lost a lot of tooth sensitivity i once had, and have had no new cavities since going raw (i did get two filled that i had had for years, but i can't say that i would go that route again).

doncha love food shopping! i'm going this afternoon, and i'm so excited.

peace-

Date: February 02, 2008 07:21PM

teehee - yes I love food shopping.

What is oil-pulling, Mama Cass?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables