Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

21 and RAW what to drink
Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 04, 2008 06:12PM

i just turned 21 and i am all RAW
I know that all alcohol is refined but whta would be the safest thing to drink when goingout with my friends?
Vodka tonic?
bloody mary?
im not sure.......
i read the back of the cranberry juice they use and it had high frutose corn syrup which i know is horiable for you so not cape cod!
any one>?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 21 and RAW what to drink
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 04, 2008 06:22PM

Opinion:

-If you find that alcohol is a healthy substance for you - then the OTHER things that are in it....are probably not going to be a concern for you. ANY of the stuff that is in packaged alcohol drinks is going to be enzymatically in-active...and thus not healthy....in my opinion...from a raw-foods perspective. Of course, if YOU find these to be healthy items...and in line with your goals...then I support you 100%.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 04, 2008 06:25PM

of course no alcohol is going to be healthy, but occasionally I will have a local organic micro-brew or a glass of organic wine. I think the distilled liquors are probably the worst. just my opinion.

Aloha, Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Stormyone66 ()
Date: February 04, 2008 06:34PM

You're probably safest with wine...however, if your body reacts like mine does, you'll find yourself possibly overeating and binging on anything to balance out the buzz. Plus, if you've been raw long enough, likely a hangover the next morning.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 04, 2008 07:08PM

well, all alcohol behaves the same in the system no matter what kind it is so i would say to drink whatever you want. organic is probably slightly better than not and certainly what you mix it with makes a difference. but you know, you could offer to be the designated driver and stick to bottled water. it's a job no one else usually wants, your friends might just thank you for it.

Date: February 04, 2008 07:27PM

Organic red wine, good for protecting against heart disease.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 04, 2008 07:40PM

I think they say that red wine is good for heart disease because of the resveratrol (sp?) that is in the skin of grapes, but I think the alcohol content would make that a wash. It seems certain industries focus on the health benefits of a singular ingredient so that they can tout their product as "good for you".

Regardless, I'll drink a glass of wine or beer because i enjoy it, but i do know full well that it's just for the simple enjoyment and not the physical health benefit. I have noticed that as i progress on this journey, my desire for beer and wine has all but disappeared... especially compared to my pre-raw life.

Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 04, 2008 08:23PM

I'd get a glass of wine, if anything, and stay away from the sugary mixed drinks (no juices there will be raw/fresh, unless it's a very unique bar!).

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 04, 2008 09:50PM

Offer to be the DD. That's usually what I do. =)

But if you would like a drink, organic wines are the lesser of all evils. If I'm ever in an at-home drinking situation where I decide to partake, I plan to test a fresh orange juice/organic red wine sangria.

Also, if you are newer to the raw and experimenting with alcohol, take it easy, because there is a good chance your drinks will sneak up on you much faster than before. My tolerance expires after about three ounces of wine, now, and I never feel good the next day. My desire to drink has faded tremendously, as well, which has been for the better (for me and my situation).

Date: February 04, 2008 09:56PM

omg that is a fantastic party idea phantom! to make a huge fresh fruit punch and just mix in some wine for sangria for the drinking crowd but keep some aside for the non-drinkers. it would be such a gorgeous festive drink too, yum!

greg i can't get over that picture, it's hysterical!
the quote is very good too.

Posted by: ksmanthey ()
Date: February 04, 2008 10:15PM

My alcoholic grandfather swears by high-quality vodka. He's no health nut, believe me, but he's doing something right to even be alive.

Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: February 04, 2008 11:44PM

I drink occasionally although I do find thatsince becoming 100 percent raw my body reacts badly to alcohol. Yet when out with my friends, I always seem to forget that =) I only drink wine and taquila myself, with no mixer. Taquila is made from the agave plant, and is less of a depressant on your system than other alcohols, in fact some people say that it is more of a mild pschedelic drug (which I consider to be at least a bit healthier) Still, I cant stomach much of any kind of alcohol at this point, but if you can and you want to drink I recommend sticking to organic wine and taquila(sp?)

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: February 05, 2008 05:32PM

maybe carbonated water with a twist of fresh lemon?

Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: February 07, 2008 04:50AM

Hi,

I'm 21 too and havan't had any alcohol for 3 years now and I still go out in bars. I enjoy my bottle of water, I never get hangouts, never lose control and embarrass myself and feel way better in lots of aspects.

If your personality is strong enough, it wont be a struggle not to drink. You will just be regarded as different, and this is good. It gives a reason for girls to talk to you.

I even entered a bar eating a banana one time. I didn't do a big deal about it and acted as if it was usual. Girls noticed me big time!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 07, 2008 06:23AM

have a raw drinking party

give everyone a raw drink recipe

have them participate in making it ( like cutting up the veggies or fruit)

you can be the DRB Designated Raw Bartender

u can also have everyone participate in making the raw hoer d oeuvres too

that way everyone has something to do

then u can have music and dancing and heck... throw in the volleyball and frisbee and you're set

no need to stroll in a bar that is just flooded with ethanol

make your own raw bar

and be the MC

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 07, 2008 08:10AM

rawies know how to have a good time
and they are always high on the raw food/drinks and life

so... i'm sure you'll have a good time, rawstoner

and if they weren't raw before your party
they'll probably become raw afterwards

what a way to turn 21

hah!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables