Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

New and Finding it Difficult
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2008 03:26PM

I have recently, upon the birth of my first child, decided to quit the SAD lifestlye and try to make sure that both his and my lives are as long, healthy, and happy as possible. Only one problem: I have had to temporarily move into my parents home and my income has stalled. I have all of my equipment (juicer, dehydrater etc) but I never realized eating raw would be so expensive...worse, my parents and brothers cling desperately to their SAD lives. Surrounded by tasty cheap...plastic, poisonous...foods I'm finding it hard to keep on the right track. Any advice?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New and Finding it Difficult
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 06, 2008 03:31PM

Look into ethical reasons to avoid such foods, maybe? Then you won't just view them as a mere "unhealthiness" problem....

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 06, 2008 03:33PM

I feel your pain!

I'd say, instead of trying to go 100% raw, just do what you can to include the most fruits and vegetables. People who struggle to stay 100% raw, even though they can't afford it, seem to work themselves into such a frustration that they end up on huge junk food binges.

I have been saving recipts for the month of January, and just eating one-and-a-half raw meals a day, I spent over $250. In my opinion the best you can do is use your blender or juicer to get the leafy greens into your diet... I think that's the most critical part of the raw food diet. Also, your little one should enjoy green smoothies when he gets a little older - that's something the two of you can share, that will keep well, and that won't go to waste.

Eat the foods that make YOU feel good, and focus on those that bring the greatest change to your health. For example, keeping leafy greens in my diet helps me stave off cravings for junk, because I am getting the alkalizing affect of the greens and the vitamins and minerals I need.

Congradulations on your baby! How old is yours now? Mine is 10 months - see below.

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 06, 2008 03:52PM

I hear you. It must be frustrating, but you don't HAVE to eat expensive. There are many fruits and vegetables that can be had for far less than .99 per pound. Apples, Oranges & Bananas come to mind. Greens, cabbage, and other vegetables cost far less than .99 per pound. You can hit many markets...and many stores have scratch & dent sections. You can grow many of your own greens & sprouts inexpensively. I'LL send you seeds if you can't afford them. Dirt from your back-yard....an old 2-liter coke bottle...some sun....water and care is all that is needed! NOT a lot of money.

-Remember not to hold yourself to some 'guru's' ideal....or even your own brain. Be HONEST about what level of raw foods you ARE comfortable with...and CAN afford right now. Simply make VERY SMALL goals...with timetables....to put one foot in front of the other to reach those goals. Even the masters must do the same thing. Don't you think?

-You WILL succeed!

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 06, 2008 04:06PM

Oh my goodness! Such great advice and so soon! Thank you so much. And, yes, I do try to take advantage of cheap fruits and veggies...My son and I share an apple-collard-celery-lemon juice every morning before breakfast. It's a great bonding time for us sharing our meals. : )
Jack, my son, is 8 months old now and, though it's hard, I'll try not to feel too guilty if I have to let his diet slip into non-organic non-raw...he's the one I'm really worried about in the first place, of course.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 06, 2008 04:17PM

well, i'm sure he wants his mommy around, so worry about you, too! smiling smiley

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 06, 2008 08:42PM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are many fruits and
> vegetables that can be had for far less than .99
> per pound. Apples, Oranges & Bananas come to mind.
> Greens, cabbage, and other vegetables cost far
> less than .99 per pound.

LMAO at you mainlanders and your cheap produce... smiling smiley
not complaining mind you, i just forget how steep the price differences are between the continental US and Hawaii until I read something like that and my eyes bug out of my head, and i'm in danger of falling out of my chair! (i've GOT to start sprouting...)

Good luck KB! like you said, where you are at right now is temporary, so don't be too hard on yourself until your situation changes a bit. and it will!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables