Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dehydrator Usage
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 07, 2008 04:43PM

How many people here use a dehydrator or eat dehydrated food? How often?

I have had a dehydrator before and found it was a huge waste of time and energy (not my own, I mean). Besides, for someone in a book to suggest drinking freshly-squeezed juice within 20 min., it seems strange that you'd cut up veggies or fruit only to eat them 24 hours later for a dehydrated product, no? At least not if you're looking for maximum nutritional benefits!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dehydrator Usage
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 07, 2008 04:53PM

I could do without a dehydrator but sometimes it's fun to make crackers or sweet stuff. I often use mine for dog crackers too, then I know they're "fresh" and nutritious. i.e. zucchini carrot blueberries and pumkin seeds.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 07, 2008 06:07PM

ON AND OFF FOR YEARS, I DONT USE IT ALOT, BUT i GO THROUGH MY CRACKRES AND PATE TO FILL UP. WHEN i AM BUDGETING,i MAKE THEM.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 07, 2008 06:28PM

i have an old cheepie dehydrator that someone gave me, and i use it very seldomly. making crackers and the like would be more effort than i am interested in putting forth. i make crunchy onion rings out of yummy sweet maui onions that i like to throw on my salads for a fun texture. i rarely buy prepackaged dehydrated foods -- crazy expensive!

but i hear you, UL, it can't compare in any way energetically/nutritionally to the freshies. and it is funny how the same book might recommend that you drink your juice RIGHT AWAY and then also promote dehydration! but like DZM says, if it helps you eat MORE fresh fruits and vegetables, then go for it.

(heck, i could just give up posting altogether and just quote david. would probably be more worthwhile for everyone involved. smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 07, 2008 07:55PM

I loved to dehydrate during my transitional period, when I was still eating processed food. After eating all raw, that stuff just didn't agree with me.....or I didn't agree with it...I'm not sure which. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: uma ()
Date: February 08, 2008 01:49AM

used to use it a lot at first but that was when i was doing high fat complex recipes all the time which totally didn't work out for me.

now i use it maybe once every 2 or 3 weeks to make crackers or burgers or tortillas. it's fun to create a little variety or something a little heavier in the winter.

love,
uma

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: February 08, 2008 03:21PM

I think it is very good for dehydrating food that would otherwise spoil (or food that is in a rare bent of being sold really cheaply, say, organic tomatoes for 99 cents a pound or better yet a bushel given as a gift from a friend, etc.) and being able to slice and dehydrate for eating as snacks (such as dehydrated fruits) or using as gourmet ingredients in raw dishes (such as dried tomatoes).

I also love the way things that are only PARTIALLY dehydrated can make a meal very "gourmet," such as pesto-filled mushrooms, raw pizza, etc.

I miss my dehydrator and will be so glad when I can FINALLY afford to get another one!

Posted by: cynthia ()
Date: February 08, 2008 03:41PM

When I want to dehydrate something, i use the fan near my woodstove, it's pretty efficient, with the food produces slice thin in the warm air,only a few hours are needed.
Few weeks ago, I really craved dry snacks so I used that system alot. Now, I dont't feel like eating so many dry things anymore, so I'm glad I didn't buy a dehydrator.

Sometimes, we feel we NEED a particular thing to keep going. But then, after a moment, it's all changed, we realize we can do without it and all is well.

love

Cynthia

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables