Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Allowable Foods
Posted by: cpak ()
Date: February 08, 2008 03:41PM

Hi - I have increased the intake of raw foods in my diet (it's about 50%) and am considering going raw 100%. My thoughts are clearer, I have lots of more energy and am reaping the benefits of what has been described as benefits of raw foodism. I have read wikipedia on the topic of raw foodism, visited this Website and read through the articles but am still unsure how I would treat these foods (are they considered OK for raw foodists?)

-Soy milk
-Organic tofu
-Cottage cheese
-Yogurt
-Sashimi (Raw fish)

Claudia

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Allowable Foods
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 08, 2008 03:47PM

dairy and fish are not vegan, all but the fish are cooked. there is a lot of documentation about soy being quite detrimental to your health as well.
raw fish is rife with parasites, i would not eat it.

as david mason says though there are no food police. you should eat what makes you feel good and what you think is right for you.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 08, 2008 03:50PM

Soy milk and organic tofu are not raw. Cottage cheese and yogurt are not raw, as the milk is pasteurized. Sashimi is raw, but there are problems with it(parasites, pollution, etc). The cottage cheese, yogurt, and sashimi would not be part of a raw vegan diet though.

These foods, if you need them, feel free to eat them as you transitions. But there are raw vegan food that can replace these foods easily. The foods you mentioned are all protein foods. As you transition, you can replace these with raw organic nuts and seeds and vegetables. Over time, you might find your desire for protein diminishing.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 08, 2008 03:51PM

Well, those foods are "okay" for raw foodists if the cooked ones are 25% or less of your diet. A raw foodist by definition is 75% or more raw.

As coco said, the dairy products and fish are not vegan, either. You might want to look into making mock tuna pates and things from plant-based sources; I think they taste better than animal products and they are also healthy. You can make your own nut milks or buy them from the store (from store wouldn't be raw and your own only would be if using raw nuts and unheated).

If you need help with certain recipes, let us know!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 08, 2008 04:42PM

The above posts are great. Remember to not get hung up on the word 'raw', and you can instead think 'fresh, raw plant foods'....if this is part of YOUR goals. The items you mention are fine (although they are processed)....if they move you toward YOUR goals....you know?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: February 08, 2008 08:56PM

Eat living raw vibrant colourful fresh produce.. that should suffice smiling smiley

Those items are cooked or Non vegan

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 09, 2008 03:25PM

Sashimi is not even raw, it is frozen

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 09, 2008 04:05PM

food can be frozen and still raw. freezing, while perhaps not optimum, does not equal cooked.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables