Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Distilled water is acidic? Tap water is too? Let's test it.
Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: February 10, 2008 08:58AM

[www.mercola.com]

Hey all, I was reading this article that says that distilled water is acidic, in specific it said:

"Another point involves alkalinity and acidity. Natural health writers generally agree that the body maintains best health when it maintains a ph leaning to the alkaline side rather than the acidic side, and yet distilled water quickly turns highly acidic, about 5.8 in an open air container. "

Now I had to test this, so I got some of my distilled water that I make in a home distiller and then I got some of the tap water that I use to make distilled water and put glasses full of these waters side by side and got my ph test strips. I held a test strip in each hand and dipped them into the waters and held them up to the ph chart and watched for color changes. There was virtually no color change in either strip, they stayed at 5.5, the one dipped into the tap water might have changed ever so slightly but there was no real difference.

SO THAT MEANS THAT ALL WATER IS ACIDIC

Help me out here, if you have ph test strips and distill your water, can you do what I did and report back!! Thanks!

Could everyone who has ph test strips test their water, weather it is tap, filtered or anything!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2008 08:59AM by Lillianswan.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Distilled water is acidic? Tap water is too? Let's test it.
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 10, 2008 03:06PM

It will take up some CO2 and make bicarbonate and h30+, the second product being respondible for pH reduction. But this is really not a problem at all. It's how your blood buffers itself. This is not something worth worrying over. If you really wanted to get anal, you could add back minute quantities of baking soda until you got exactly 7.0. But it would be really hard to measure exactly 7.0 precisely because you'd need a very expensive pH meter to do it. In practice, measurements that are +/- 1 pH unit are sort of expected with strips. And also it depends on where you do the measuring: near the top of the surface or near the bottom. Etc. Etc.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 10, 2008 03:35PM

I've noticed that the more I consume fresh, juicy fruits and veggies, and less nuts/seeds, the less I require glasses of water. The same has been true for our puppy who is now on raw--she drinks WAY less on raw than she did on kibble.

Lots of people add lemon to their water...does that help the PH get to a healthier level?

Lots of love,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: February 10, 2008 03:50PM

Our tapwater is 7.30 pH.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 10, 2008 04:15PM

I do drink MUCH less water on a high fruit diet than before. Much, much less.

So which water is ultimately best?

Coconut water? <3

Posted by: oshinn ()
Date: February 11, 2008 05:41AM

i'm curious about lemon water, too. i love adding lemon to my water, but lately i've been worried about acids because i've noticed it giving me heartburn. this is not from lemons of course but i'm trying to keep my acid intake low.

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: February 11, 2008 03:29PM

Does anyone have a filter they can recommend? I think I will post a new thread about filters also. We definitely need to filter at least some of the crap out of our water.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: February 11, 2008 06:31PM

Thanks everyone for helping me out, that was interesting.

Now lemons are highly acidic when they are eaten but after digestion they are alkaline so maybe "acidic" distiled water has an alkaline affect the body's ph? Just a thought.

I always thought of distilled water as being comprable to rainwater, now if there were no polution would you rather, drink rainwater (collected from your roof, they used to do this alot in the olden days) or water from the ground? I'd rather drink rainwater I think the whole idea of getting minerals from your water is silly - you have no idea where that water has been and if it is even carrying any minerals. And if it has been around enough to collect some minerals won't it have collected some pollution as well?

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 11, 2008 11:11PM

Natural hygienists say the body can't use minerals in water, anyway--it just works harder to flush them out, hence the importance of distilled water. They say we get usable minerals from plants.

But that's just what they say. tongue sticking out smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables