Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Some clarification
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: February 12, 2008 02:26AM

I am sure there must be other questions similar to this that have been answered a million times on this site, so I hate to be a bother....but I have no choice!! If there is a thread that you can direct me to, please do, otherwise, I would REALLY appreciate any additional info you can offer. Thank you!!

1. What are superfoods?
2. What is nutritional clay?
3. How are nuts added to smoothies (soaked first? any nuts/seeds avoided? order of blending or just throw them all in with the smoothie? and, lastly, are cashews ever really raw?)
4. Should a smoothie consist of only fruits or only greens? I know that WY was saying that he adds lots of tomotoes (technically a fruit), but haven't I read that mixing fruits and veggies causes digestion problems?
5. Does anyone use supplements in their smoothies - lecithin, liquid cal/mag, etc. Is it the belief that the fruits and veggies contain all necessary vitamins?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some clarification
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 12, 2008 03:19AM

1) term made popular by dr. steven pratt in his book of the same name, where he identified a short list of common foods that are super-loaded with nutrients, antioxidants, etc to prevent disease, improve physical and mental functioning, and delay the impairments of old age. blueberries and broccolli made the list, so did citrus fruits, spinach, and raw walnuts. (so did turkey, wild salmon, and soy, so there you go...) seems to have evolved into a great marketing ploy for not-so-common "foods" that are super-expensive -- cacao, gojiberries, mangosteen, noni, camu, maca, lucuma, etc. preferrably grown by himalayan monks harvested by virgins and flown in on the wings of pure white doves. (nobody calls the lowly blueberry a "superfood" anymore... *sigh*)
2) oh my gosh, i have no idea! help google!
3) smoothies with nuts mixed with fruits give me a gut ache. even coconuts. although coconut water works fine. but if you want to add nuts, i would soak them first. i don't think cashews are ever really raw in that they are steamed to open, but there is some controversy over whether the temperature of the nut itself inside the shell reaches the tipping point (118*? 115*? 105*?)
4) greens somehow get around the whole fruit/veggie combo thing, at least for many people. try it yourself and see.
5) i used to add supplements, part of that more! faster! harder! cultural lesson i am trying to unlearn, but i found that i threw my system out of balance doing so. i stopped. i think whole foods provide balance, and when you start messing around with one nutrient (unless you are treating a known imbalance) you can easily hose it all up. know what i mean?

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: February 12, 2008 05:58AM

maui_butterfly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ... seems to have
> evolved into a great marketing ploy for
> not-so-common "foods"... preferrably grown by himalayan monks
> harvested by virgins and flown in on the wings of
> pure white doves. (nobody calls the lowly
> blueberry a "superfood" anymore... *sigh*)

LOL!!

Strange, isn't it that the extraordinary beneficial nutrients are never found locally, instead always in some 'remote' spot, up in the mountains in a pristine environment and on another continent.

At the rate that the space shuttles keep going to outer space, we may start hearing marketeers rave about 500-year old microscopic life that lived that long due to special tiny plant forms that provide potent concentrations of life-sustaining energy...and 'for the first time, now available in capsule form'.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 12, 2008 07:11AM

pistachio says:

<<At the rate that the space shuttles keep going to outer space, we may start hearing marketeers rave about 500-year old microscopic life that lived that long due to special tiny plant forms that provide potent concentrations of life-sustaining energy...and 'for the first time, now available in capsule form'.>>

yeah? for how much$$

i'm willing to be the first to try out martian superfood !

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 12, 2008 01:49PM

super food = super expensive

There is no nutritional basis to the misnomer "super food" or "superfood."

"super food" is a marketing term

If you are going to pay extra for something to eat, make sure it is locally grown and organic. Otherwise, you are probably wasting your money. You can buy a helluva lotta really good real food for the price of a small dose of supposedly "super food." Go for the real food.

Anything pictured at the bottom of Pistachio's post (above) looks good to me! YUM! That stuff is truly super food.

Lee

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: February 14, 2008 02:58AM

Thanks Maui butterfly for that response - and I am totally with you Lee about the organic and hopefully local produce. I just got my vita mix today and am going full force tomorrow! more on that in the juicing section!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables