Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Papaya: An Interesting fruit
Posted by: Jose ()
Date: February 12, 2008 05:19PM

Papaya Enzyme is Old Fashioned Biotech for your First Aid Kit

By Aaron Rowe EmailFebruary 12, 2008 | 3:40:17 AMCategories: Biotechnology, Chem Lab, Chemistry, Medicine & Medical Procedures, Plants Protein

The most scientifically sophisticated product in your first aid kit may come from a humble green papaya. An enzyme from the tropical fruit can chop venom to bits -- reducing the pain from bites and stings.

Papain belongs to a category of molecules called proteases -- proteins that slice and dice other proteins. For decades, the plant-derived chemical has been the key ingredient in meat tenderizer. It works by breaking lots of chemical bonds in tough animal flesh.

The kitchen supply is also a well-known home remedy for bug bites.

Many types of venom are peptides -- small proteins. Papain can tear them apart. It may do some quite welcome collateral damage too. By obliterating antibodies, proteins produced by our immune systems, the molecular machine could also reduce inflammation.

From [blog.wired.com]

Ethnomedical uses

* The mature (ripe) fruit treats ringworm, green fruits treat high blood pressure, and are used as an aphrodisiac.
* The fruit can be directly applied topically to skin sores [1].
* The seeds are anti-inflammatory, anthelmintic, and analgesic, and they are used to treat stomachache and fungal infections[1].
* The leaves are used as a heart tonic, analgesic, and to treat stomachache[1].
* The roots are used as an analgesic[2].

And something to keep in mind

Allergies and side-effects

Caution should be taken when harvesting, as papaya is known to release a latex fluid when not quite ripe, which can cause irritation and provoke allergic reaction in some people. The papaya fruit, seeds, latex, and leaves also contains carpaine, an anthelmintic alkaloid which could be dangerous in high doses.

Excessive consumption of papaya, as of carrots, can cause carotenemia, the yellowing of soles and palms which is otherwise harmless.

From [en.wikipedia.org]

Cheers,
J

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Papaya: An Interesting fruit
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 12, 2008 07:35PM

thanks for this! i always hear different things about consuming the seeds of the papaya. i've heard very healthy and also very toxic, not sure which way to go on this one. i always throw a few seeds in my smoothies...

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 12, 2008 09:07PM

I can't get enough of raw green papaya salads from a local Thai restaurant. >8)

Strangely, I've never seen green ones in the Asian market. Do they look any different than mature pink ones? I've also seen papayas called "big papayas," but never tried them. >.>

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 12, 2008 09:20PM

green papayas are harvested before they show any signs of yellow/orange, and once picked that way they will not ripen. they are pretty hard, kind of the texture of a squash.

i love green papaya salad too, and i just bought 4 monster greens at the farmers market this weekend and have been shredding them up with lime juice, cilantro, jalapenos... yummy!

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: February 12, 2008 11:14PM

I couple of questions... how similar is pawpaw to papaya in its nutritive properties ?

Also is green papaya simply unripe papaya or is it another variety ?

Does anyone know these things ?

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 01:44AM

My local ethnic market has green papayas. I have been meaning to get one to make a raw/vegan papaya salad. I love those! I always ask for a vegan version when I go to Thai restaurants. YUM!!!

I don't know if green and unripe are the same. Someone please answer Lightform's question about that! smiling smiley

Date: February 13, 2008 02:36AM

Green Papaya is unripe papaya smiling smiley

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: February 13, 2008 11:37AM

Nutrient content of papaya [www.nutritiondata.com]

Outside the US, the word paw paw is sometimes used to describe papaya. The US paw paw is different from papaya [en.wikipedia.org] , the nutrient content is here [www.pawpaw.kysu.edu]

Cheers,
J

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 13, 2008 01:26PM

I was just reading about papaya, some hygeinist wrote that when he ate just papaya for a few weeks/month I can't remember, his gums started bleeding. Same thing when he ate only grapefruits.

Date: February 13, 2008 10:35PM

Cool as !!
Thanks everyone for your answers smiling smiley

For C'Chronicles or anyone else who may know, does this mean that there are nutritive factors available when the fruit is green which are changed when it is ripe ?? This seems counter intuitive so I'm very curious.

Date: February 13, 2008 11:26PM

Lightform Papain and Chymonpapain (enzymes that break down protein) are said to be more concentrated in unripe papaya as opposed to ripe which is why green papaya is so prized as a digestive aid. Women might want to be careful with eating it in large quantities (green payaya I mean) though as I have read that certain Asian countries use it and the seeds as a form of contraceptive and even as an abortive.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 11:27PM by TheCoconutChronicles.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: February 14, 2008 12:55AM

Suvine,

I have been eating papayas for many years mainly during the winter never had a problem with bleeding gums ect.
Just picked a nice one off the tree and will be eating and a few more for lunch.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Date: February 15, 2008 06:00AM

Yeah, perhaps those symptoms were an effect of chemical treatments on the Papaya between growth, harvest, transportation and finaly consumption ?

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 20, 2008 04:27PM

wHO KNOWS BUT IT SCARED ME

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables