Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Seaweeds
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 12, 2008 06:25PM

I read on my package of arame that it's sundried then cooked for 5 hours, then sliced. OKay, so that's not raw. Is it available raw?

I think the dulse I have is raw and then obviously if you buy untoasted/raw nori, it should be raw.

What other seaweeds are good? (talking whole foods not supplements)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Seaweeds
Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 12, 2008 06:45PM

Larch Hanson's Maine Seaweed LLC [www.alcasoft.com] doesn't sell arame, but his seawee dis truly raw according to how he described his harvesting and drying process in one of his newsletters (see below). They only accept orders by mail and phone.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Larch Hanson ( [www.alcasoft.com] ):
1. My bay is free of boat traffic from October through May when I start the kelp harvest. In the summertime, lobstermen pursue the migration of lobsters into the bay, but then I'm working away from them on the islands.
2. There are no cities, factories, harbors, or nuclear power plants on my bay. Smithsonian Institute studies my bay and they said that there's a wide diversity of life forms, indicating low levels of pollution. On a quiet day, I can see down to bottom at a depth of 30 feet.
3. I build my own boats from wood, and I coat them with vegetable oil. They turn dark with age, like old salad bowls. The tow boat has several bulkheads and is powered by a four cycle outboard that doesn't mix oil with gas. The separate container boats are rowed away from the tow boat to the harvest sites, then rowed back to the tow boat.
4. My hand-selected harvest is brought to bone-dry perfection within 48 hours of harvest at temperatures below 100 degrees F. I use solar and wind drying methods the first day, and a solar/fanned drying room with wood back-up heat on the second day. Long plants are hung up on lines like laundry, small plants are dried on untreated white nylon netting stretched on frames at waist level.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: February 12, 2008 07:06PM

Thanks, that sounds like an awesome company!

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: February 12, 2008 08:14PM

any decent seaweed comapny located in Canada?

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:04AM

Have you tried the Sea Tangle Kelp Noodles? I soak the noodles in water for 10 minutes or so to draw out the preservative they use, make a sauce, and then soak the noodles in a sauce for 30 minutes. The noodles absorb the sauce and get soft during this time.

The kelp noodles are a raw food according to their website FAQ:

------------------
Are your kelp noodles raw?
Yes. Our kelp noodles are a raw food. They do not undergo any heating over 100 degrees Fahrenheit

Date: February 15, 2008 01:09AM

Awesome. What kind of sauce do you make? I don't know if I like kelp, only have used powdered and it smells funky.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 15, 2008 01:30AM

I enjoy those kelp noodles although i don't have them as often as i used to. My favorite sauce for them is tahini-ginger with a bit of miso and agave (i know...questionably raw, but hey, I'm in transition right?) They are yummy, but have absolutely no flavor by themselves.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: February 15, 2008 01:42AM

I make an herb sauce, or a marinara, or a chinese sauce. I think having some acidic substance, like orange juice or lime juice in the sauce helps get the noodles soft.

Here is an herb sauce I like:

Juice 4 small valencia oranges. Blend with 1/4 cup ground hemp seeds, 1/8 cup ground sundried tomatoes, a handful of cilantro, and perhaps 1/2 red bell pepper.

Date: February 15, 2008 01:57AM

Yum, I'm down with an orange hempseed sun-dried tomato sauce!

And Greg, I think eating miso and ginger is a good thing, even if paired with a 118-F substance. :p

Where's my sig? I added one but it's not showing up.

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: February 15, 2008 02:27AM

I am glad you started this thread. Hopefully, I am not stealing the thread with my off-beat question, but I do have a different question - about seaweed as well.

My husband LOVES sushi and is no way in any shape or form converting to raw food. He is on the SAD diet and thinks I am crazy. So, that being said, we typically go out to eat once a week together with no kids. The more I transitition to raw, the more difficult it becomes. When we go out for sushi, I am not sure what to eat. One of my all time faves is Japanese seaweed salad. Is this a raw food? I have no idea how they make it actually, but think that it has to be better than eating raw fish, cooked rice, and hot soup. Any ideas? Any other suggesstions about what I could order when eating at a sushi restaraunt?

Date: February 15, 2008 02:39AM

veggiefreak,

If I go out to a restaurant with friends, I will just bring my own food (a bag of fruit), or eat beforehand and just buy a green salad with no dressing and drink water. Nowadays, when I eat with friends, I bring a bag of fruit to their place, or I serve them fruit at mine, or they serve me fruit.

Date: February 15, 2008 02:55AM

A good thing to check for in seaweed salads is to make sure there's no bonito flakes (fish) or fish sauce. Otherwise, not sure if it's raw....or if the seaweed is cooked. I think they use sesame oil which is toasted, so the dressing wouldn't be raw. But if the seaweed usually is, that's excellent. Honestly, I'd get it regardless; it's healthy to eat seaweed.

You can probably do a nori roll with avocado, red peppers, cucumber, any other veggies they have, with no rice. Or ask them to do a salad with the same - they have fresh veggies on hand for the rolls.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 15, 2008 03:01AM

Sea Tangle doesn't ship to Canada @#)%(*!)!@($*#)@(%*)@!)(*&$(%*&

Sushi restaurants... Seaweed salads rock my world, the wakame are particularly delicious. They may have trace amounts of soy/vinegar/MSG, so make sure to ask so you know what you're getting, and if you're at a point in your travels where you still consume those things, etc. I of course won't do the MSG, but I used to work at a sushi restaurant for a long time, so a little bit of vinegar on special occasions still gives me an option when we do go out. I think when I'm also craving iron/calcium/whatever it is in the seaweeds I crave, the vinegar bothers me less.

I should learn to make my own raw sushi, but I had some awful experiences trying to make the real stuff, even with advice and free lessons from very talented Japanese men. :O

Date: February 15, 2008 03:06AM

I always liked to make my own nori rolls at home with avocado because I figured the knives at restaurants were contaminated with raw fish and such....?

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Date: February 15, 2008 02:05PM

I forgot about bonito flakes, bonito makes its way into a lot of Japanese food.

You could ask for cucumber or avocado sashimi?! ^.^;;

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: February 15, 2008 05:16PM

flex4life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> any decent seaweed comapny located in Canada?

Hi Flex4life:

One seaweed I buy at the health food store is from a company on Vancouver Island. I don't know if they sell anything besides kelp though.

Canadian Kelp Resources Ltd
Bamfield BC
V0R 1B0

www.canadiankelp.com

I don't know if they do mail order, but if my health food store carries it, I am sure yours can too. Hope that helps.

I also get dulse from the health store - it comes from Atlantic Canada - pretty readily available I think.

Sapphire

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 15, 2008 05:35PM

i explain to the waiter that i am on a special diet and i ask for a hand roll (shaped like a cone) with avo, shredded carrot, cucumber, and beansprouts, (and anything else i see on the menu that sounds like a vegetable they might have raw back in the kitchen). no rice. i bring my own little stealth bottle of nama shoyu and mix it up with wasabi, and i'm having fun!

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: February 15, 2008 05:38PM

thanks Sapphire!

I will read up on Kelp and hopefully I can make it a steady part of my diet!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2008 06:18AM

I am wondering where to buy some kelp noodles in the NJ/NY area. Sea Tangle doesn't sell them in this area. Sea Tangle also doesn't seem to care much about customer service either. Every time I have contacted them, they either don't call back or respond many days later. I don't want to order them by mail because they are way too expensive including shipping. One 12 oz package is nearly $4. Does anyone know of kelp noodles on the web or in stores in the NJ/NY area?

I found Kombu noodles at Whole Foods for some ridiculously high price. I know that kelp is cheap in general when I buy them from the Korean grocery stores (Han Ah Reum in NJ). So I don't think I'm looking for something unrealistic.

Date: February 18, 2008 09:02PM

You can find Maple Smell brand Tangle Kelp Noodles in Oriental grocery stores in Toronto Canada area. They are salty but okay if well rinsed.

Michele

Re: Seaweeds--kelp noodles
Posted by: carolg ()
Date: March 07, 2008 05:30AM

I called their CA offices, answered phone as if in a house, and gave me shipping prices for a pound bag: $13 to CO which I thought was super high. I didn't notice any salty taste to them when I tasted my friend's dish. I love the fact low in calories. Can't find here sadly so my choices are order, buy locally $4.50 per bag plus tax or skip the thought.

carolg

Date: March 07, 2008 05:48AM

This is where I have been buying mine for quite a while.

[www.seaveg.com]

Date: March 07, 2008 03:39PM

I misread one of the types of seaweed on that site and thought it said "bladderwack." I was going to have to immediately order 15 pounds. tongue sticking out smiley

That is an awesome site, thanks. =)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables