Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Taking lots of turmeric powder, any cautions?
Posted by: vegcase ()
Date: February 13, 2008 02:31AM

Hello, all.
I am still here, on this raw journey. I stumbled upon a website that explains using turmeric powder daily as a cure for boils and cysts.
I have started taking it for my cysts (along with my clean raw diet of course). However, I wonder if there are any negative health effects to taking this much of an herb at once? The remedy calls for 1 tsp. of powder 2-3 times a day, or at least once a day. It seems like a lot to gulp down.
I know it's good for you...but does anyone have cautions?
I would also like suggestions about how to take it. One tsp, even in juice instead of water, is grooosss! ick, I have to hold my nose.
Also, is there a difference between turmeric powder and turmeric root powder? I bought the latter.
Here is the link I got the info. from- I find earth clinic to be a good and trustworthy source:
[www.earthclinic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2008 02:33AM by vegcase.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Taking lots of turmeric powder, any cautions?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 13, 2008 03:21AM

Mmm, I just read the Wikipedia page on turmeric, [en.wikipedia.org] , it says to make the powder the roots are boiled for several hours! I've recently been buying whole roots and grating them into salads, I guess there is more chance of it being raw that way.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 13, 2008 04:27AM

Too much hurts my tummy. Just figure out what dose works for you. The raw root can be powerful.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 13, 2008 08:17AM

Aloha,

I'm a fresh turmeric freak! I found a small patch a few months ago and it really called to me. I started researching it for my fathers Alzheimer's and decided to do it myself for the blood/liver cleansing properties. Currently I blend 4-8 oz every day. Nothing I've read so far has indicated any adverse effects from large ammounts and I personally feel great!

I saw an iridologist at a health fair this past weekend and when she looked into my eyes she immediately asked if I was cleansing. She said she saw past evidence of liver congestion and toxic build up, but to her it appeared that the toxins were "fleeing my body rapidly". ...on a humorous note, I also saw a woman who did tongue diagnosis, but I forgot to tell her that I had just drank my turmeric smoothie...she was a little freaked out about the bright yellow color of my tongue.

I would try very hard to get the fresh root because like most plants that are processed for spices, the healing properties are diminished. I ended up buying a standardized extract in capsule form for my father because he is 80 and not likely to drink it in a smoothie like his crazy son.

good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

Greg

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 13, 2008 01:29PM

I have a friend that swearsby it, says it kills parasites or something. he is a raw foodist obsessed with parasites, I am irritated by those people, such a downer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables