Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

check this out!!!
Posted by: claire ()
Date: February 14, 2008 09:32PM

Hi everyone

Thought that this would amuse you!

I have posted on a diabetes forum that I use that I am trying to get more into raw food to see what effect it has on my blood sugars and insulin use. Check out this reaction I got:

If you are a type 1 diabetic then no you can not get off of insulin.
Are you feeling suicidal by any chance?
I also hope you have a good funeral plan because you are going to need it.
Your stupidity beggars belief

I did have a good laugh at the thought of killer fruits and vegetables getting me in my sleep, but I felt very angry at the same time!

Bye

Claire

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: check this out!!!
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 14, 2008 09:51PM

amused and horrified at the same time. claire, are you feeling suicidal? eating too many fruits and vegetables is the road to ruin, you know! you could choke on all those antioxidants! just be careful, okay? promise me. step away from the celery.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 14, 2008 09:53PM

ha! this reminds me of my brother-in-law who would rather have a life-threatening procedure to remove his colon than change his diet....and then drank cow milk and ate cheese(cow)cake right afterwards! one can only hope that he's around to see his children grow up.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 14, 2008 11:33PM

In any case, there's lot of love and support here, and some other people dealing with the diabetes issue + raw foods as well. =)

In situations like that, I try not to let myself get hurt or angry. It's especially difficult when coming from loved ones. Just smile, nod, let them say their piece, and then engage in something totally joyfully, like opening a durian. Or celery, if that's your thing. >8)

Plus, if you continue to take fabulous care of yourself, you will definitely make some headway on what ails you--so who knows what great news you may have to post at that place in the future, hm?

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 15, 2008 06:17PM

I know how horrible it feels to have people so ruthlessly discredit your beliefs!!

Isn't it funny how far people will go to defend their eating?

People just fall for what the doctors say, hook-line-and-sinker, to the point of death! I just want so shake them awake sometimes!

Oh well. Claire, I am so glad YOU want to change. You are doing the right thing and you will be a living testimony. If you can change even one person's life as a result of this... well... that's a life well-lived IMHO. I know you are an inspiration to me, as I have struggled with diabetes.

Do watch out for durians though. I hear durian football can be painful.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Date: February 15, 2008 07:38PM

Wow Angie, thank you for the compliment...can't imagine being an inspiration to somebody (crawls under the table to hide!). What type diabetes are you? How is it going?

Thank you for your support everybody!

Am thinking I might copy my posts on the diabetes forum every night and put them on the blog section here too...yes, I will do that now.

I find this forum so helpful in trying to be raw, don't think I could do it without getting motivated every night.

Bye for now

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 15, 2008 10:06PM

Hi Claire - How are you doing with your blood sugars? I would love to hear about how you are doing with diabetes and eating raw food. My best friend is diabetic and has suffered a large number of side effects in a relatively short time(10 years..blind, on dialysis, missing toes, hospitalized hundred's of times, etc) and I would to hear more about a diabetics experience with this. I think I will go track down your blog now.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 16, 2008 02:20AM

unbelievable. i bet that person has read nothing about raw foods. You keep going hun and may you get off that insulin!

Posted by: stylestacey ()
Date: February 16, 2008 04:30AM

I was doing research for my sis (she has type one) n this is what I found...hope it helps smiling smiley

Stacey,
We have two specific cases so far of Type-1 who have been cured; one remains
cleared for one year now and the other remains cured for two years.
The issue is that we cannot tell who will be cured or not with Type-1
where as we have 90-95% cure rate with Type-2. His case sounds like
the one person who has remained healed for the past two years who
became a Type-1 at age 20 and was healed in the program at the age 25.
There are no guarantees, but it is worth the effort with little to
lose, but a lot to gain.

Blessings,
Gabriel Cousens, M.D.

--Sergei Boutenko was able to heal himself of juvenile diabetes, which is typically Type-1. However, one does not know the extent of his pancreas damage, perhaps it was not that damaged.

If it is possible to heal one's pancreas, a raw diet will provide the best nutrition and conditions for that healing. Again, this depends on how damaged the pancreas is. Also, after eating only raw foods for 7 years, the body has had a chance to rebuild every cell in the body. So theoretically, every cell in the pancreas ought to be rebuilt also. But whether or not the person trying to heal themselves provides the conditions for this kind of healing depends upon the health education and health practices of that person.

So yes, it is possible to heal Type-1, depending on the existing damage and whether the person provides the conditions for healing to occur. And most people with Type-1 discover that they need to use a lot less insulin on the low fat raw vegan diet than they do on the traditional diabetic diets.
[www.alternativesmagazine.com]
[www.rawfamily.com]

--Raw for 30 days--Reversing Diabetes

great video! it might be about type 2, cant remember. you should write the Tree of Life(clinic on the video) & ask them about type 1 healing. seems like i read that it's being healed very successfully.

[youtube.com]

--Hi,
Here is a wise book which could be helpful to your sister: There is a cure for Diabetes by Gabriel Cousens.
May this be helpful.
[books.google.com]
[www.treeoflife.nu]

Date: February 16, 2008 06:58AM

Thanks for that Stacey, have pasted it onto my thread on the diabetes forum.

Hope your sister has some success!

Claire

Date: February 20, 2008 08:41PM

Hi claire!

I would definitely read your blog if you copied what you write on the diabetes forum you participate in. I am starting a myspace page (mostly blog-oriented) called RAWSPOKANE. Not ready to unveil it yet, but it has a lot of stuff about my experience with diabetes. Here's my experience with blood sugar testing and a blog I wrote for the month of January............

Date: February 20, 2008 08:45PM

Blood Sugar/Green Smoothie Record
Current mood: thankful

*~*~* Blood Sugar/Green Smoothie Record *~*~*

Definition of Diabetes: Blood sugar of 200 or above any time of the day, regardless of when your last meal was eaten. Fasting glucose level of 126 or more ("fast" = 8 hrs. after you have eaten anything). GTT (glucose tolerance test) after fasting you are given 75g pure glucose to drink, then test after 2 hrs. If 200> you have diabetes.

Definition of Pre-Diabetes: Fasting glucose between 110-125. GTT between 140-199.

Putting my blood to the test!!!! Putting Green Smoothies to the Test!!!

A little bit of backround info first: I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes - this is the only traditional western healthcare I have had access to in the last 10 years and it was through my midwife. She wrote me a prescription for a glucometer and a year's worth of testing supplies. The doctors would not test me for regular diabetes after my son was born because they said that gestational diabetes does not turn into type 2 diabetes, and then my health insurance ended. Midwife had me test my FBS, before each meal, and 2 hours after each meal during my pregnancy. I have continued to do this off-and-on as resources and circumstances allowed me to eat healthy. (I didn't really want to know my blood sugar when I didn't have the $$ to eat right! Too depressing to know!!)

1/9/08

11:30 Drank 64 oz. green smoothie (kale, strawberry, banana)

1:30pm blood sugar is 78

Had 2 heaping servings of Hamburger Helper at 1:30.

3:30pm blood sugar is 85

6:30pm blood sugar is 82

Had two tortillas fried in butter, sprinkled in cinnamon at 6:30

8:30pm blood sugar is 106

Had insomnia all night - didn't do a morning FBS (fasting blood sugar) because I snacked all night, and didn't fast for 8 hrs.

6:00pm had Chilli and Cornbread

10:00pm Green smoothie (orange, apple, turnip greens, pasteurized OJ concentrate, cucumber, and a crushed-up vitamin pill) - also sipped a bit at 12am and 3am.

1/11/08

8:00am blood sugar is 102

9:30am quinoa w/butter and lemon pepper, 1c of the smoothie left over from last night

11:30 blood sugar is 96

Had a green smoothie with romaine, raspberries, pears, and banana at 11:30. Had 1c melon blended into a smoothie, and a salad made up of mostly cabbage and tomatoes and steak pieces.

I really wish I was better about checking my blood sugar, but we were busy with relatives and working so I often forgot about it at the critical times!! Or else snacked here and there, so there was never a 2 hr. time where I didn't eat after a meal so I could test!!

1/13/08

I woke up this morning shaky and took a blood sugar measurement, thinking it would be very low, but it was on the high side 103 at 7:30am. I often wake up feeling extremely hungry in the middle of the night. Especially when I am trying to "watch my diet" and eat low carb. It's unbearable to cut out carbs - I cannot sleep when I feel so HUNGRY! I have tried to beat it with willpower, and tried "toughing it out" I just end up miserable with this weird stomach growly feeling. I got up for a bit and used the computer and the feeling went away, as it often does... but it sure disrupts my sleep. If I EAT SOMETHING I can usually go RIGHT back to sleep, but if I don't eat it usually takes 2 hours and then sometimes I STILL have to eat to go back to sleep.

9:30 blood sugar is 83

Had a green smoothie (3 stalks celery, 3 kiwis, banana, water) at 9:30am. Then we had Subway for lunch at 11:30am (footlong ham, with lots of veggies and mayo - no oil, salt, pepper, or cheese).

1:30pm blood sugar is 139 - gaa!!

Had 5 hard tacos with beef, lots of lettuce and LOTS of tomatoes and salsa at 6:00pm. SLEPT THROUGH THE NIGHT WITHOUT HAVING TO GET UP AND SNACK!!

1/14/08

7:30am FBS is 98

Had green smoothie at 7:30am (kale, strawberry, banana)

9:30am blood sugar is 79

Ate 1 green apple and 1 banana dipped in Skippy peanut butter at 10:30am.

12:30pm blood sugar is 93

Had more green smoothie - made 64 oz. (celery, kiwi, banana) at 12:30, then some Top Ramen with loads of chopped celery, celery greens, and onion. Went out for some exercise - haven't had a lot of chance to do that lately due to deep snow and lack of childcare - walked up and down hills through 1 1/2 foot snow in the mountains. Fun!! Hiked between 3:00-4:30, then had rest of smoothie made earlier.

6:00pm blood sugar is 84

Ate taco salad w/corn chips, ground beef/turkey, lots of romaine, kale, and tomatoes.

9:00pm blood sugar is 98

1/15/08

6:30am FBS is 95

Things are looking good so far! I am so thankful to have discovered green smoothies. Without them my blood sugar used to gradually creep up throughout the day, and I felt miserable, unable to function without coffee or energy drinks. Green smoothies have completely eliminated my desire for sweets. I couldn't go more than 3 days without some form of sugar in the past.

Something about green smoothies satisfies a deep need in my body.

Pretty much all my other blood sugar tests, two hours after a meal and the FBS reading have been in the 80's. WOW! That beats the high 100's and low 200's I was experiencing during pregnancy and post-partum until I began smoothie-drinking. And that's REGARDLESS of a few non-raw meals. Will continue to post about green smoothies!

Date: February 20, 2008 08:48PM

claire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for that Stacey, have pasted it onto my
> thread on the diabetes forum.
>
> Hope your sister has some success!
>
> Claire

LOL - Claire, I bet the folks on the diabetes form went crazy with that one. Now you're going to be accused of attempted murder!!!!

Date: February 20, 2008 11:03PM

Hi Angie

Thanks for posting your experiences...always nice to talk to other diabetics!

It is proving to be an interesting experience posting about raw foods on the diabetes forum. There are two or three people who regularly respond to my posts and who are really good to discuss things with - they are quite open minded. Am not getting any response form other members...but then I notice that there have been over 430 views of the thread!!! So people are reading my stuff but obviously it's all too weird to be getting involved in. And the administrator has posted warning people against "cures" and "faddy diets"!!! If you're interested it's on www.diabetes.co.uk/newforum under the food forum section.

Looking forward to reading more of your experiences

Claire

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 20, 2008 11:47PM

There sure is a world of difference between being open minded and looking at all the options and possibilities as opposed to being closed minded and not looking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables