Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Good Cholesterol
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 15, 2008 10:52PM

What raw foods are best to eat to raise your good cholesterol - my husband just got his blood work back and his total cholesterol is 160 but his "good" cholesterol was a little low - what should he be focusing on when he eats?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Good Cholesterol
Posted by: selenes512 ()
Date: February 16, 2008 12:40AM

Maybe good fats? I'm not sure about this, so see if anybody agrees with me, but I think a moderate (not too much) amount of healthy fats a day would help with this. Meaning nuts, seeds, avocado and coconut to name a few.

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: February 16, 2008 03:51AM

Your liver makes the good cholesterol so that's where you would want to concentrate your efforts.

Date: February 16, 2008 04:18AM

Thanks for the comments - I will have him eat more nuts, seeds, avocadoes and coconuts. I don't know how to help the liver out - does anyone - maybe a liver cleanse?

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 16, 2008 05:30PM

i found this:

[www.annieappleseedproject.org]

"A number of foods stimulate the body to produce more of the enzymes used for detoxicating the body from cancer-causing chemicals. These foods have been shown to improve liver detoxification and to decrease the risk of developing cancer. They include members of the cabbage family (crucifers), which includes not only cabbage but broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy and brussel sprouts, and also green onions and kale. These vegetables contain compounds called aryl isothiocyanates which directly stimulate the activity of an enzyme, glutathione S-transferase, an important component of the Phase Two system. Activation of liver detoxification probably explains the highly publicized effects of broccoli, brussel sprouts and cabbage in preventing cancer in humans and experimental animals."

[www.nutricoach.net]

"The ancients considered artichokes to have many benefits. Artichokes, including leaves, were thought to be an aphrodisiac, a diuretic, a breath freshener and even a deodorant. Decoctions of artichoke leaves have been used as blood cleansers, cholerics, to improve bile production and secretion and to detox the liver and the skin... Current research is showing benefits to the liver from cynarin, a compound found in the artichoke's leaves. Silymarin is another compound found in artichokes that has powerful anitoxidant properties and may help the liver regenerate healthy tissue."

[ezinearticles.com]

"A recent discovery by those working with HIV / AIDS has found that combining the simple lemon with extra virgin olive oil and blending these together (with the lemon rind and seeds) and a glass and half of spring water, can and does produce amazing results, when drunk on a daily basis.

The lemon and the extra virgin olive oil, when taken together, act as a potent liver and gallbladder flush, detoxifying the liver, lowering biliruben levels, removing heavy metals, increasing the production of bile from the liver, stimulating lymphatic flow, and restoring the pH of your saliva, which in turn helps you to absorb the nutrients from the food you eat.

The liver is truly the master organ of the immune system, producing chemicals to combat viruses (including the HIV virus) and bacteria, supporting phagocytic [immune function], and producing antihistamines to neutralize substances that promote the growth of cancer. When the liver is not functioning properly – and is over-blocked by toxins – the body’s immune system is severely weakened leading to chronic illness. The lemon & extra virgin olive oil drink not only prevents chronic illness, but works to reverse it.

According to Mark Konlee from his paper How to Reverse Immune Dysfunction - “The immune system has two 'arms' - the TH1 and TH2 systems. They tend to be connected: when the one is strong, the other is weak, and visa versa. The Lemon / Extra Virgin Olive Oil drink has been reported to balance the two arms of the immune system."

[www.healingyou.com]

"My favorite two herbs that help to de-clog the liver and spleen are dandelion root or yellow dock root. I know that most people use Milk Thistle, but for the general cleaning in the beginning, dandelion root and yellow dock seem to work more effectively. Yellow dock root seems to be more potent and should be considered when skin problems have erupted, as this is a clear indication that the clogging is considerable, or for people who have abused their liver over long periods of time. Dandelion root and yellow dock root are available in tea, capsule or tincture form. Milk thistle can be introduced after cleansing to help strengthen the liver/spleen area."

also check out "Beneficial Effects of Coconut Water Feeding on Lipid Metabolism in Cholesterol-Fed Rats" [www.liebertonline.com]

Date: February 16, 2008 06:36PM

WOW, thanks for the feedback, receiving all the comments are awesome - this is great!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables