Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Grains & Milk
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 19, 2008 02:19AM

I want to get the nutrients from raw grains, so I'm going to do raw grains mixed with nuts for milk. What are good grains for this?

I have oats but they are toasted. I guess I can use them up and then buy raw.

I have barley, spelt, wheatberries, buckwheat groats (raw), millet, quinoa, polenta, brown rice, teff, and probably a few others I can't think of right now.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Grains & Milk
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 19, 2008 03:45AM

I bought a wicked bag of mixed grains from Sproutpeople called "Amber Waves of Grain." You might want to check that out. =)

Date: February 19, 2008 04:20AM

will do. thank you.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2008 04:52AM

personally i think mixing grains and nuts is pretty bad food combining. it would give me trouble anyhow. starches and proteins don't like eachother in the belly.

sprouting them is a good idea, you can sprinkle them into salad that way and they are a bit more palatable than eating them on their own.
a little goes a long way too.

Date: February 19, 2008 04:54AM

i don't like sprouts very much.
i will soak them and make milks, see about separating grains and nuts. thank you!

Date: February 19, 2008 08:05PM

You could also try making a sauce--something I've wanted to do but just have too many other fresh things to eat to get around to it, haha--try blending an apple with some lemon juice, add dates and cinnamon, and then maybe warm the grains on the stove with the sauce just a tiny bit, so it's like an oatmeal something? I use that sauce with other things, and it's delicious...

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 03:11AM

gliving.tv had a video from the lady from Kookie Karma, and she made raw oatmeal cookies. I don't remember the exact recipe, but I processed together soaked oat groats with dates and sunflower seeds and it was great. You could add raisins, or omit the seeds and form little balls. I didn't dehydrate and they were sooo good. Can add cinnamon too of course.

Date: February 21, 2008 02:29PM

Okay, I might be laughed at! but I made barley, teff, millet milk with 1/4 of a vanilla bean and, uhm, NO! Don't do it. I do'nt know if it was one, two, or all of the grains, but it was like dirt. I could barely drink my smoothie with kale, banana, kiwi, and blueberries.

Posted by: Dada ()
Date: February 21, 2008 02:41PM

In one of the recepies from my raw cookbook said to soak the barley for 3 days without rinsing or changing the water. Then add them to your soup. In this case it was tomatoes, corn etc. My husband loved it. Maybe you can try to do same thing with other grains.

Date: February 21, 2008 02:48PM

Oh, that sounds excellent. I love raw corn. smiling smiley I'm sure I have a recipe for soup in the 8 or so raw uncookbooks I have.

Date: February 22, 2008 06:51PM

My "Amber Waves of Grain" were ready to eat for lunch today.

For a sauce, I blended:

2 bosc pears
1 banana
1 young coconut - meat and water
pinch of cinnamon

I just drizzled this over a bowl of the sprouts, and YUM! It was nice and light and refreshing, reminded me of cereal.

So, you can affirmatively try something like this and it will be delicious. I just wanted to share that I taste-tested today. >8)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables