Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I am pregnant.
Posted by: oshinn ()
Date: February 19, 2008 03:16PM

Dear everyone: I just found out today that I am pregnant.
After thinking it couldn't happen (ovarian cysts), it has. It's not in the most perfect of situations, but then I've never been a good one for the typical life of marriage, mortgage, hair highlights and superbowl parties. This is the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me, and I want to do it right.

I've gone raw a couple times before, both only for a few weeks. I'm not planning on going fully raw right away, but I'm already a vegetarian, don't smoke or drink, and really enjoy my fruits and veggies. Does anyone have any experiences with going raw AFTER they found out they were pregnant? I know most doctors would advise not to make sudden diet changes but I also know most doctors thing raw foodism is weird. For myself, I know that the caloric intake necessary is much higher during pregnancy, and that there are concerns with vitamins, fiber and protein. I've seen Jinjee's site and her raw pregnancies (which are beautiful) but she has more experience than I do. So, my raw friends, advise me. What's the best diet for this new miracle?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I am pregnant.
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 19, 2008 03:23PM

you know, this is being discussed a lot lately and there is more than one thread happening already with terrific information. take a peak around the forum and check it out.
there is also another site called rawfoodtalk.com that has a raising raw kids section with the similar info.

i liked gabriel cousin's conscious eating and prescription for nutritional healing when i was pregnant. and you can always use a nutrition tracker like fitday.com to make sure you are getting all that you need.

good luck!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 19, 2008 05:28PM

I think VERY slowly increasing your lifetime intake of fresh fruits and vegetables....over the course of your pregnancy...would be just fine. Just my opinion. What do YOU think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 19, 2008 06:08PM

oshinn I am right there with you. I just found out I am pregnant as well. I've been in the process of slowly transitioning to 100% raw over the past few months and just found out I was pregnant this weekend.
I think I can handle the detox since I've already been mostly doing it, but I'm worried about getting enough of the right nutrients, mainly because I'm a very picky eater and don't like a lot of the stuff(avocados, nuts, sprouts) that will give me the neccessary fats and some other things. Any advice from anyone about that would be greatly appreciated. I'm also concerned because part of my motivation for going raw was the large amount of weight I have to lose. I can always up my calorie intake but with as much excess weight as I'm carrying around I'm bound to lose a bit of it. I'm wondering if that is healthy during pregnancy. Anyone with experience in this?
oshinn I hope you don't mind if I semi hijack your thread, haha. I will keep you posted with how things work for me if you'll do the same.

Date: February 19, 2008 08:47PM

Congrats to you both oshinn and brenna!!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 19, 2008 11:46PM

oshinn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> but then I've never been a good one
> for the typical life of marriage, mortgage, hair
> highlights and superbowl parties.

ROFL!

congrats oshinn AND brenna. big love to you both, mommas! i'm sure you will birth healthy, beautiful, well-nourished babies -- raw, mostly raw, somewhat raw, whatever! (i can't advise you, except to say trust your body and your instincts).

(sorry, i can't resist plugging hypnobirthing: www.hypnobirthing.com i had such an amazing birth experience, no pain, just rolling waves of intensity during which i was exceedingly relaxed -- and aware, not out of it or hip-no-tyzed, lol. i guess i just wish every baby could come into the world the way my daughter did, in total peace and joy.)

good luck!

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 12:11AM

My mom made huge changes during her pregnancy, which made her actually lose weight--she had been an emotional overeater and switched to eating healthier foods only when she was hungry.

When she got pregnant, she wanted what was best for her body. She read "Fat is a Feminist Issue" and stopped bingeing, and started eating better overall. I am so grateful, because I didn't grow up with the food issues she did. I never had issues about weight or "bad foods" (like so many women) and was exposed to a lot better foods than most Americans.

Granted, I now eat a lot better than how I was raised. But I am so grateful for those changes my mom made, it saved me a lot of potential grief surrounding food. Totally worth it to do what you can comfortably do before the baby is born.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 20, 2008 09:43AM

i knew a guy who was a runner (marathons)

and that is when he got into eating lots of dark green salads, smoothies, juices etc. though he won't call himself a raw foodist cuz he also drinks and eats BBQ

but at any rate, when he was training for the marathons, he was making so much salads, smoothies juices etc. and his wife became pregnant

the light went off in his head that if he fed his wife all the high density nutrients that he was feeding himself ( to be lighter and have better fuel for the marathon) then it would also be good for the baby

well, he did that for TWO of his kids

kept nourishing his wife with smoothies, salads, juices that he made himself

well, i met his two kids ... and one time i was making a parsley salad and the one kid ( who must have been about 5 or 6 at the time) kept watching me cut the parsley...

i wasn't sure if she wanted any but as soon as i gave her some parsley she just devoured it... said "thank you" and "can i have some more??"

i gave her some more parsley.. and she did the same thing..

she ate it.. then said " thank you" and " can i have some more"?

after doling out a few more parsley pieces, i decided to make her a salad and she devoured every bit of it

it was then that i found out that the reason why she craves greens and fruits is because that is what she was fed HIGH amounts of ( by the husband) when she was in the womb

both the kids seem very happy and LOVE fruits and veggies

i don't know what my mother ate when she was pregnant with me

i wished i hadn't been vaccinated when i was a baby

but... oh well... my brain still functions LOL smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables