Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

wanted: advice for my husband
Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 20, 2008 02:12AM

my husband has just started on raw to 'give it a try' (i've been raw for 3 months). He has a very physical job and his tummy just feels 'watery'. He had some bread yesterday at work because he was so hungry and immediately felt better sad smiley So what can i feed him? Are rolled oats raw? I gave him those soaked overnight in oat milk with blueberries this morning for breakfast, as well as a green smoothie. I've been packing him nuts, seeds and dried fruit along with fresh fruit and a jar of biodynamic yoghurt for lunch (i know biodynamic yoghurt isn't raw, but we choose to eat it) and a salad for tea usually with some avocado or sprouted chickpeas or nuts / seeds and a little code additive free cheese (which we also choose to eat, although it's not raw). Oh and i've been giving him a second green smoothie when he gets home from work.
Any ideas on how I can help him stay on raw? please? For his health and also for my daughter's health as when she's not seeing the food dad eats, she happily eats raw.
I'm going to try out my mum's dehydrator on the weekend, so any ideas to put in that?
ta
Grayzie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wanted: advice for my husband
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 03:07AM

For transition/detox--
Sprouted grains (rolled oats are steamed) with nut mylk and berries, sprouted legumes, dried fruit with nut butter, flax crackers (make in dehydrator!), high-protein seeds like hemp/sunflower/pumpkin. Chia seeds are great for satiety, you can buy them online and add them soaked (they make a gel) to green smoothies/puddings.

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: February 20, 2008 06:57AM

have you considered transitioning to low fat fresh vegan and then to raw foods?

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: February 20, 2008 07:15AM

I know what your husband means about that watery feeling - when I was first transitioning, I really missed that cooked full feeling. A couple of things I found that helped were: a banana mono-meal - simply eat as many bananas as you can, until you are just stuffed - as far as raw goes, that is very filling in a non-watery kind of way. (and for me anyway, it seems to keep me full for a long time) Another thing that I liked (and still do sometimes) is raw flax crackers with seed cheeze or cheeze made from the pulp leftover when I make almond milk. It's not so watery. Not optimal for the 80/10/10 goal, but still, a good transition choice.

I totally agree with the above post about including some cooked vegan - maybe he is trying to make too big a change too fast.

That is so fantastic that your family is all on board with this - it will make it so much better for all. Best wishes and good luck!

Sapphire

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 20, 2008 07:49AM

thanks very much for your advice. He went a bit better today. yay for us!

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 20, 2008 09:34AM

hi grayzie

i'm also thinking that maybe he wants some green smoothies/ juices cuz the high content chlorophyll is very sating and... also stabilizing

i don't know
but i wish him well and hope u and him have a lot of fun in your delightful raw adventures

its coool that u two are doing it together

that way u can exchange notes and talk about stuff and try out cool recipes ( even if its a salad recipe LOL smiling smiley

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 20, 2008 04:33PM

Durian gives me the satisfaction of a Thanksgiving dinner, hands down every time. The richness is fabulous from both old (cooked) and new (raw) perspectives--it's fantastically complex and filling. It's ice cream, it's almonds, it's lovely sweet fruit, it's custard, and it's countless more things that beggar description. One durian contains a day's worth of fiber, so I think that has something to do with the fullness it provides. It's a little fatty, which means it takes longer to digest (fuller longer)--but lighter, sweeter, and just a touch more moist than avocado, and hits the spot more than a nut binge.

I could write pages... <3 <3 <3

It's helped me worlds with my transitioning, and has given me new worlds to explore. It might be something fun to try together if you're both feeling adventurous! >8)

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 20, 2008 04:36PM

I think what you are doing sounds great!

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 20, 2008 05:59PM

Firstly, there's no need for him to be totally raw, but...

..if you want him to be as raw as possible, I recommend having a lot of options..

...get him to taste them all at his own pace and in his own way/time....

...and then....

all you have to do is ask him what he wants. He will know.

Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: February 20, 2008 06:01PM

You could try to pick up a couple raw food recipe books from your local library and try some of the more substantial recipes in there for him.

Also, going to a raw food eatery will give you ideas and give him plenty of choices to try out. They are usually accommodating with their recipes if you love any of them in particular.

Nut and seed butters with raw flaxseed crackers are really great and very filling. You can make 'bars' out of your left over pulp from juicing and add in things like raisins, dates, coconut, nuts, seeds, etc. You can also make some raw nut butter balls, very easy to do and will give him something to chew on if you add nuts, seeds, raw oats, raisins, etc.

There are raw or dehydrated types of bread stuffs, and wraps made out of things like sun dried tomatoes, etc.

When he feels really hungry, you can try steaming or baking sweet potatoes or other veggies..giving him some transitioning type foods to eat plenty of.

Try to figure out a 'core' diet of daily raw foods he loves, then add other raw foods for bulk, chewing satisfaction, calories, health.

Fermented foods are good also if he loves those, pickled veggies, etc.

Different types of dips he loves to dip in anything from fruits, to veggies, to raw crackers.

Good luck!

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables