Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how to crack a coconut
Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 20, 2008 12:44PM

without putting it in the oven? anyone?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how to crack a coconut
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 20, 2008 01:44PM

the hammer method: [www.howtoopenacoconut.com]

this guy recommends hitting it with a big knife while you're holding it in your other hand. i don't know about that, but he makes it look easy... [www.youtube.com]

this seems pretty safe. i think that's a fake coconut though, i almost don't believe her [www.5min.com]

this is my personal method, just to hack away at it with a big machete. [www.youtube.com]

i aspire to be this guy: [video.google.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 20, 2008 01:51PM

If you take a hard coconut (a brown one).......and just hold it in your hand.......just take a hammer in the other hand......use the claw end.....and just start striking it......going at a line around the equator WITH THE CLAW END........you will develop a crack.....that you can easily use to extend the crack all around the coconut. Do this over a sink...or INSIDE a garbage can. Put a pot underneath if you want to catch the water. Keep striking until the thing cracks open....then drain the water. Extend the cracks around the coconut until the pieces come apart. Take the individual pieces.......which should be about 2-4 inches square at largest........and use the blunt tip of a butter knife to work under the edges of the meat on all sides...and then TWIST. This will cause the meat to pop out of each piece. Rinse. Strain the coconut water and drink...if it's good. Throw away all shell debris.

-Just a technique that works rather well....lo-tech...in my experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 21, 2008 11:25PM

thankyou

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 21, 2008 11:47PM

I eat a case of 9 young coconuts in just over a week (one a day) and I have a different way to open them. First I put it in a vise and then drill a small hole in it the diameter of a straw. I put the straw in and give it the taste test - if its bad why waste any more time and effort on it ? Then I drain the juice into my VM container. Next I hacksaw the coconut in half. Last I Blend the juice and the pulp in my VM until smooth. Works for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables