Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Avocados
Posted by: SandraDee ()
Date: February 20, 2008 06:51PM

Just wondering if this is a taste that can be aquired? Anyone out there who didn't like the taste in the beginning and then came around to them??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Avocados
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 20, 2008 07:03PM

just eat them real slooooo0000oooowwwww. Avocados are the most magical food! i love avocados! they are so sensitive too Sandra, you really have to get 'good' avocados. The ones you will find in your everyday grocery store are bland and gross...but a good avocado is utterly divine!

Posted by: mindy_r ()
Date: February 20, 2008 07:08PM

hi,

i definately did NOT like avacados when i first ate them. since i have made guacamole on my own i could eat nothing but for days i am sure! i put lots of onions in it (i hope that onions are good for me!) and that made it taste better for me. now i like avacados on their own.

have a great day,

take care,

mindy

Date: February 20, 2008 07:12PM

Thanks very much guys... I was really hoping that I could come around on them. Where does one find a "good" avo??

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 20, 2008 07:13PM

It helps to get ones that are properly ripe. If they are too hard, they're really yucky. When I started eating them, I had no idea how to tell which ones were ripe. If you squeeze them, they should yield with some pressure, but not SMOOSH in your hand.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 20, 2008 07:21PM

That would be me. LOL. I only acquired a taste for them in the past 4 or 5 years.

Definitely try the two main varieties: Floridian (smooth, big and green) or Mexican Haas (pear shaped and rough)....to see what you like. The Florida ones tend to be more watery and fruit tasting....which the Mexican are more flavorful and rich-tasting....in my own opinion. Either way, batches differ. Try getting specimens from several different vendors. The WILL ripen on a hanging rack or shelf.....but don't buy specimens that are hard as a rock. Look for ones that are softening....but have no dents or blemishes....or are getting mushy at the stem or base. Avoid ones that are getting chalky, wrinkled, or blackish in color.....or feel dried out. Costco is a good place to find a good quality bag of conventional Mexican Haas Avocados. Just my experiences.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 20, 2008 08:18PM

Sandra I still don't like avocados. I'm hoping I'll come around to liking them because I need some sources of fat in my diet and right now don't have much at all. We get the Haas Avacados and my husband swears they are delicious, but I can't stand them so far. Maybe once I'm raw for longer I will.

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 20, 2008 08:47PM

My mom used to make salads with avacado when i was younger and she always had to make a special one for me with no avacado...i hated them..i thought they smelt bad and tasted funny..
When i started eating raw i discovered that guacamole is raw and make with avacado. I started eating guacamole and tomato. Now i love to eat avacado.

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Date: February 20, 2008 08:57PM

Thanks everyone!!! I'll keep giving it a try from time to time.

Stoner... Is that you is your siggy pic?? How awesome that you found raw soo young!!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:11AM

I adore avocados but never tasted them till I was grown up. I discovered them when or just before I was pregnant with my first son. I ate a standard diet then but ate an avocado every day when I was pregnant - just craved them.

I prefer the Hass variety as they have a more pronounced flavour and creaminess. they are great with oil and vinegar. I used to mash them and put them on marmite toast but of course I dont eat toast any more! but maybe on flax crackers would be good.

Putting them with bananas helps them to ripen. how I would love to eat one ripe off the tree!!

hope you soon love this wonderful fruit.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 21, 2008 02:28PM

I love ripe avocado. Whether mashed and mixed in with my kale salad, plain with lime juice, whatever - I don't care. I'll eat it. smiling smiley

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Date: February 21, 2008 03:27PM

Whats a Siggy pic?

That was me after only 1 month raw
I went 99.9% raw on my 21st birthday. (After i ate a delicious piece of organic carrot cake of course)

Date: February 21, 2008 04:51PM

"Siggy pic" = the photo in your signature at the end of every post.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 21, 2008 04:52PM

I always loved them,. people dont understand how I used to eat them, they see it as guacamole. I used to make it sweet with
blended dates, and I would add another fruit for a thick sweet shake

I just eat them like this now. and I can only take a little

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 04:53PM by suvine.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 21, 2008 06:25PM

I adore avos and have been blessed with a great friend down the street who has about 8 trees of various varieties. I use them in sauces and oil-free dressings sometimes (and occasionally a raw cacao mousse), but usually I just eat them right out of the skin with a spoon and maybe a bit of fresh lime juice.

My parents had never tried them outside of guacamole, until after my first visit as their "raw" son. My mom is now adding it to their salads for dinner most nights, although because of my fathers Alzheimer's he always says, "Mary!, what is this green stuff? It's so delicious!" It's kind of sad in a way, but my mom says that he gets so overjoyed each time he tries it, that she can't bring herself to remind him that he actually had it several times already that week. I guess that can be the bright side... he gets to rediscover delicious new tastes every day.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: February 21, 2008 06:35PM

wow Greg... I'm so sorry your family is dealing with Alzheimers... it must be very difficult to watch. Sounds like you are trying to see the positive tho. (((HUGS)))

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 21, 2008 06:58PM

Thanks so much Sandra,
It has been very difficult, but there have also been some positives... my family is much more openly loving and close, and my parents have actually started to eat several raw meals per week. This just amazed me because they used to have the attitude that it was too late for them to be healthy. It's also been a wonderful window into all that I have to be grateful for...up to and including a simple avocado.

Much love,

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 21, 2008 07:53PM

That is a great "bright side" Greg. When my grandma got old and became so senile that she thought she was 19 again she was never happier. She had been cranky for years before.

I love avocados and always have. I remember the first time I had one on a sandwich. I couldn't believe what I had been missing and I was young, like eight. My daughter didn't like them at all and now she loves them.

The avo's in that pic are perfect Suvine. I wish they all looked that good.

Date: February 21, 2008 08:16PM

Hey Greg,
I wear these magnetic Finger rings every night to balance out the flow of chios.
Its a kind of magnetic therapy.
I read a story about a man with Alzheimers who also wore them and as a result, lived much longer then expected and showed unexplainable results.
[www.naturalcuresstore.com]
look under magnetic therapy
If your intrested.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables