Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Burning Pineapple
Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 21, 2008 08:29PM

Last night i decided to try out the Pineapple i bought...(never had a fresh one before.)
I opened it and did not know which part was ok to eat.
Them after adding it to may salad and eating a couple of bites i noticed that a couple pieces tasted horiable. I could not even swallow it. Them i cut off a piece and ate it right off the pineapple and my tounge started to hurt.
All night long it felt like i had drank a cup of hot water and burnt my tongue.
Anyone know why?

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burning Pineapple
Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 21, 2008 08:40PM

Pineapple can be pretty acidic if it's picked un-ripe, which it usually is when it's going to be shipped some distance. That may be what you experienced. They're usually not that bad, though. My mouth doesn't usually start hurting from an acidic pineapple until I've been chopping away for a while.

Date: February 21, 2008 08:44PM

frances is right... I avoid the burning by making sure that my pineapple is sufficiently ripe before I eat it smiling smiley

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 21, 2008 08:47PM

Don't even think about eating a pineapple unless it's dark yellow. If it's pale yellow look out. I know how you feel :<

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:00PM

Correct. Make sure to cut it up and sample it before chowing down. If rather unripe, leave in a container overnight to mellow in the refrigerator before using it. Rinsing it in cold water can also help.

-Smell the pineapple before you buy it. If it has SOME fruity smell...then that is a better sign.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:04PM

Yes, Ideally the flesh should be a deep translucent gold color and it should have a pronounced pineapple smell. I picked a few ripe ones in the field yesterday and my truck still smells like pineapple today... best air freshener ever!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:35PM

I read once that naturally pineapple should be eaten by tearing through the skin to the meat with the fingers. After reading that I decided to wait until my pineapple was so soft that I could tear through it if I wanted to (I still cut it up with a knife though). I am so glad I read that because it is so much better that way.

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:35PM

Thanks Friends!
I will give the pineapple another try. One more thing. How do you cut it open? I nearly hurt its feelings calling it all those horiable names last night when i couldnt open it.

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: February 21, 2008 09:58PM

I've heard that a way to tell when a pineapple is ripe is to pull at the leaves, if it is then the leaves should come out reasonably easily. I haven't eaten many pineapples so I don't know how effective this test is.

Date: February 21, 2008 11:05PM

I cut the top off then the bottom. After that I set it up and cut the skin off and then cut the four sides around the core. Sometimes there is a little tag with instructions attatched to the leaves. I like my way better than the way on the tag.

Date: February 21, 2008 11:08PM

Lightform thats actually an old wives tale. As long as the base of the pineapple is orangey (or red depending on the variety), the exterior is firm and free of bruising and it smells fragrant then its a good pick.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 22, 2008 12:33AM

MauiGreg Wrote:
> I picked a few ripe
> ones in the field yesterday and my truck still
> smells like pineapple today... best air freshener
> ever!

show off! (MGreg works for the Pineapple Cartel!) lol.

Date: February 22, 2008 12:43AM

nah, if I was showing off, I would post some of the pictures I took during my lunch break of the rolling pineapple fields with Molokai in the background.

Besides, If you could have joined us for the King Corn film last night, you'd be eating some of those pineapples right now! BTW, great film if anyone has a chance to see it.

Don't worry, there's more where those came from.... literally, thousands of acres more.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 22, 2008 12:51AM

BTW: I LOVE the Camus quote Greg. Sounds like you are having tons of pineapple fun! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 22, 2008 01:08AM

MauiGreg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Besides, If you could have joined us for the King
> Corn film last night, you'd be eating some of
> those pineapples right now! BTW, great film if
> anyone has a chance to see it.

i have to work late, and you mock me. some friend. smiling smiley

Date: February 22, 2008 01:15AM

Thanks David-Z,

I'm glad you like that quote, it's always been a favorite of mine. I have to admit, that although I don't have any of your quotes in my sig, I probably quote you several times every day to people who are looking for guidance and inspiration to lead healthier lives. You should write a book my friend!

...and indeed, on days that I get out of my office and into the field, I always have tons of pineapple fun. There are always what they refer to as "precocious fruit" on the edges of the rows and we can take as many of those as we want because they ripen before the rest of the row due to getting more sun. Yesterday I picked over a dozen... gave them all away ... a couple to the guys at the car wash, a few more to the folks at my favorite raw food cafe... some to friends, a few to strangers, and a couple to my land-lady. An unexpected pineapple always makes people smile. I wonder if one could get me out of a parking ticket...hmmmm

Edited to add;

aw Butterfly, you know i'd never mock you..... at least not on a public board! would you accept a few ripe pineapples as a peace offering?

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2008 01:23AM by MauiGreg.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:14PM

I have heard that it is good to wait for the sugar to turn into a brown sugar before eating a pineapple because it is the sweetest then. Does anyone wait until the insides start to turn brown ?

Date: February 22, 2008 02:53PM

As I wrote before, we wait till the pineapple is soft enough to push through with a finger and more often than not the inside is brown. It is so good this way. Juicy and very sweet.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2008 12:29AM

Besides making sure it is ripe, start eating from the bottom (the part opposite end from the leaves). It is much sweeter than the part near the leaves.

Posted by: veganathlete ()
Date: February 26, 2008 02:31AM

this is interesting. When I went to Hawaii several years ago, i was told by a worker at the Dole plantation something completely different. They told my family that the eyeballs should be the same size all the way around the pineapple and the color did not matter. Also they said if it had a strong pineapple smell then it is overripe. I am going to have to try your all suggestions ;-)

Date: February 26, 2008 05:36AM

Hi veganathlete,

The smell will tell and the color is a good indicator too. If it smells fermented it's on the way out, but even then you could probably salvage much of the fruit because they are so large.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables