Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

help me please....protien and calcium
Posted by: volcomchick8797 ()
Date: February 22, 2008 01:32AM

if i were to be a picky raw and only eat fruit for breakfast maybe a smoothie, veggie wraps for lunch with a serving of raw pumkin seeds, and fruit smoothie for dinner with fruit or veggies. if i were only to drink water, would i get enough protien and calcium for my daily needs. i would prob put some leaves of kale in my evening smoothie. besides that, just fruits and veggies with one serving of fruit. please help, i am dying to go 100% raw, but hear stories of people loosing hair and teeth due to not having enough calcium and protien. thanks, this is really worrying me

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: help me please....protien and calcium
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:04AM

Dark leafy greens have tons of calcium and romaine lettuce is a great source of protein. You can always go to a site like nutritiondata.com or fitday.com and enter the food that you have questions about and it will give you all kinds of great info.

The more you learn and experience raw, the less worried you will be.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:12AM

I juice collard greens (a few with orange juice and ginger). Sounds weird but I love it. Tons of calcium in them!

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:19AM

I've never had an issue with protein or calcium. Just zinc.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:24AM

I would wager (just my opinion) that calcium leeching comes more from the intake of denatured proteins....and subsequent absorption issues....rather than in some kind of fresh plant food diet 'deficiency'. smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:30AM

I agree David,

I think in the book "The China Study" he details examples of milk actually contributing to calcium deficiencies.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:52AM

While doing a mono-orange stint for a few days, out of curiosity, I logged into fitday.com just to see what kind of nonsense 20 oranges in one day did for my body.

Turns out, I had just shy of a day's worth of protein and well over a day's worth of calcium!

Fitday will answer any questions you have about precise content, for sure.

All fruits and veggies just about contain some traces of these things, and if they are the bulk of your diet, the numbers will add up by the time the day is done.

You only need 30 grams of protein/day. Nuts, seeds, sprouts, all have beaucoup amounts of protein. Kale is also lovely.

RDA requirements for calcium are also inflated to adjust for the higher amounts of calcium dairy-eaters pass through the urine, as opposed to non-dairy eaters (50% less!!). You don't need as much calcium if your body can hold on to it and use it properly. Figs, almonds, oranges, dark leafy greens... there are plenty of choices out there. =)

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 22, 2008 02:58AM

yeah, i had 71 g. of protein today, 18 of which came from kale.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 22, 2008 03:45AM

I was wondering--since sometimes I'm getting that much with sprouts--is too much raw vegetable protein still as dangerously acidic? Even if the protein you're getting comes from alkaline foods?

Date: February 22, 2008 05:12AM

thanks everyone, i had no idea. i did just order some raw power that has hemp powder, berries, wheat grass, and so much other stuff that easily mixes into drinks and has a tremendous amount of protien. just awesome to know that i now dont have to rely on "protien" powders and can just eat my day full of fruits and veggies.

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: February 22, 2008 09:44AM

volcomchick8797, strange as it sounds, only a plant food diet is going to give you sufficient calcium. Animal proteins are some of the culprits which lead to a negative calcium balance in the body, meaning that you EXCRETE more than you ingest, leading to weakening of the bones etc etc. Other factors can also lead to calcium loss in the urine, like salt (!), coffee, alcohol, dairy (!), and some more. With plant foods, you end up with a positive calcium balance, meaning that your intake is higher than your loss of calcium in the urine.

You still need calcium though, but not as much as recommended. If you don't loose it in the urine, then you need less! Fruits don't give you enough calcium. Green vegetables are the best source. Sesame seeds are also good.

Plant protein is superior over animal protein. one reason is the calcium issue as explained above.

Another reason is that animal protein has to be broken down to amino acids first before it can be used. The body builds its own proteins from amino acids, not from the complete proteins. So plant foods are a better source of amino acids.

Greenpower

Visit my website and my blog!

[www.natureshealingsecrets.com] (closed on Sundays)

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: February 22, 2008 06:41PM

Please read my blog which has an entry about the calcium issue.
You can find it on [www.natureshealingsecrets.com]

Greenpower

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 22, 2008 10:34PM

jamielor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I juice collard greens (a few with orange juice
> and ginger). Sounds weird but I love it. Tons of
> calcium in them!

I used to do this too, but I got tired of using my juicer (too lazy, really) and I am taking a break from it. These days most calcium comes from romaine and other greens in salads.

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 22, 2008 10:59PM

The answer:

Don't listen to anyone...ever....listen to yourself.

Now...if yourself says..."listen to this person because they are true and decent...."...

...then you might want to listen.

Otherwise, no.

IN either case....you're listening to #1 100%.

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Date: February 23, 2008 12:32AM

thank you so much everyone.. ive been wanting to go raw vegan, but was afraid of not getting enough nutrients. its great to know that by eating fruits, veggies, and nuts one gets a more concentrated amount of nutrients. im really excited to begin this 100% raw journey. im stoked. ive noticed that when i crave SAD foods and eat them, they dont satisfy me and i feel 'sick to my stomach' after eating them. im really glad this is happening, because my cravings are minimizing. i have few cravings now, im really glad i came up upon this raw lifestyle change.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables