Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Ironman+ Training
Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 22, 2008 05:04PM

Hola mi amigos. I used to train for and do LONG triathlons. I'm just getting back into the hardcore training again (not sure which races I will do) and this time I'm thinking Rrraaaawwww power will be the fuel in the tanks.

Anyone on here doing/done VERY long distance training with raw food? Any particular challenges you've encountered? I'd be honored to learn from the true pros

PRO

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Ironman+ Training
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 22, 2008 05:53PM

umm me too - as I want to up my distance from half marathon to marathon this year. there is a guy called Kev who gave me some advice a while ago maybe he will read this and help out.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 22, 2008 07:46PM

check out Tim VanOrden on YouTube [www.youtube.com]

and his website [www.runningraw.com]

he's a middle distance guy, tho

Date: February 22, 2008 08:59PM

Read Brendan Brazier's book- The Thrive Diet. It's completely vegan, does have a few cooked recipes, however I have been able to adjust them all to raw very easily.
Mr. Brazier is an ironman tri-athlete and the book gives tons of good advice and recipes for pre- marathon food, during and recovery food (smoothies and raw bars etc.)
I highly recommend this book.

Date: February 22, 2008 09:13PM

Strawberry Shortcake I was at Borders today and flipped through Braziers book. It looked really comprehensive and interesting...

Date: February 22, 2008 10:41PM

You Guys are friekin' awesome! Thanks for the scoop(s).

I am, by muscle type, actually a drop dead sprinter. The 50 freestyle (the shortest recognized event at that time) was actually too long of an event for me to optimize my genetic capabilities when I was a competitive swimmer through high school (Germantown Academy) and college (Princeton University).

But, when I trained for Ironman Lake Placid in the winter/spring of 2001 while living in downtown Philly, I learned A LOT about electrolyte balance, my body, and, of course, my/the spirit, while training with my buddy Justin Angle (badass mofo)

My memories (and recent workouts) tell me that....

....there is nothing, and I mean NOTHING, more enjoyable than meeting up with a good friend for a 50 mile bike ride in the sun (with a stop at the local coffee shop mid-ride, of course) followed by a 15 mile fast run...and good tunes and conversation all along the way....

....with the go forever juice (2 Lava Salt tablet contents mixed into a quart of Gatorade) in the Lava Belt flasks (www.squeezy.com). Oh, Sweet Jesus!

But,....now that I'm appreciating the beauty, power and eco-consciousness of raw foods, the equation is shifting a bit.

I will DEFINITELY take a close look at all the recommended sites, books, personal anecdotes, et alia.

I deeply appreciate the input.

Love,
Paul

Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: February 23, 2008 05:57AM

I was training for my first marathon when I was plagued by a knee problem because of tight hamstrings problem that is still affecting me.

Hope to see improvements with the raw diet and be able to put my shoes on again for a run ;-)

Date: February 23, 2008 07:49AM

Omega-3's, especially DHA (I think) are good for joints. Maybe give it a shot.

Date: February 23, 2008 08:52AM

My Bad - I think it is EPA that is hyper-crucial. I take Omega-brite. I know, I know....not vegan....but it has a long history of helping A LOT of people and is VERY high ratio of EPA to DHA

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 23, 2008 01:54PM

sebzzz - keep stretching those hamstrings!!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables