Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

excalibur 9 tray is really loud
Posted by: Flora ()
Date: February 22, 2008 07:40PM

hello

i just bought an excalibur 9 tray dehydrator and when iturned it on the fan was really loud. Is that normal?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: excalibur 9 tray is really loud
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 22, 2008 07:51PM

unfortunately yes. I found the same thing. I have mine in a closet now, which helps a little if I also close my bedroom door and crank up some techno....I can barely hear it.

For all the rave reviews, I'm unimpressed with my Excalibur. It didn't work right out of the box... even though it was under warranty, it would have cost $50 to ship it each way (to and from Maui) to be fixed. I was able to fix it myself (the fan was to far down the shaft and got stuck on the motor). Then I got one good month out of it and the thermostat fried. After several months of waiting they shipped me a new thermostat... the wrong one. then they shipped the wrong one again... finally on the third try they got it right. I fixed it myself again and now it works fine (fingers crossed). Made my first batch of flax crackers last week. They were pretty darn good. I'm on a liquid only cleanse this week or so, but I'm saving all of the non-wheatgrass pulp from my juicer to mix with the cracker batter. I think I'll call them "compost crackers"

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: February 22, 2008 09:10PM

lol I love that you put your dehydrator in a closet Greg! Too funny!

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 22, 2008 11:13PM

I bought the smallest (4 tray)...and I hardly even use it anymore. I realized that everything tastes better the closer it is to the tree/vine/stalk/etc.

But, I must say, I made some Nama mushrooms and Nama sunflower seeds in there and my place smelled so good for a day, I wanted to eat the friekin' walls!

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: February 22, 2008 11:41PM

Yeah, the main drawback of the Excalibur dehydrators is the noise pollution that they produce..And, I don't find it that easy to clean the inside of my 9-tray model..

Back in the late 1970's I saw a wooden dehydrator assembled from a kit at a Mormon friend's home that was constructed from various thicknesses of cabinet-grade plywood..It was significantly quieter than the Excalibur..

The outgassing from the plywood was probably worse then the outgassing from the plastic in the Excalibur..

A good cabinetmaker could probably construct a dehydrator out of hardwoods that was environmentally safe as well as easier to clean..But, at a fairly high cost compared to the price of an Excalibur..Perhaps, 3-4 times the price of the 9-tray model..

Bruce

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: February 22, 2008 11:42PM

Although not as popular as the excalibur in raw foods circles, the Lequip dehydrator is fairly quiet.

Wishing you vibrant health

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: February 22, 2008 11:44PM

You could build one yourself, probably. It doesn't have to win any art prizes - just have some good wood (mequite?) to make a shelf to blow some air over. I but you could do it.

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 23, 2008 12:02AM

I bought an excalibur 9 tray a year and a half ago and haven't had any problems with it. It isn't loud either, unless the teflex sheets blow up. It sounds like a smooth running fan on low. I am used to fans though, we use them about half the year here.

Posted by: Flora ()
Date: February 23, 2008 12:36AM

hey thanks for all the info.

should i take the trays out that im not using when im running it?

I guess I could have made my own dehydrator but there have been so many good recipees that I´ve wanted to try for so long (3 years) that I just went for it on the spur of the moment.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: February 23, 2008 03:18PM

I take my trays out when I'm not using it. Is it loud when it's empty?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables