Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Juicing-Danger?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 23, 2008 10:35PM

I have been juicing everymorning for almost a year. I combine carrots, beets,celerey and apples. I was just reading that one has to be careful juicing vegatables that grow underground because of the high sugar content. The author further stated that one should only juice carrots and beets every once in a while because of the high sugar content. Is this true? Should I be concerned?

Thank you for your comments,
Newtojuicing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 10:37PM by NewtoJuicing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Juicing-Danger?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 23, 2008 10:41PM

Your body needs essential fatty acids (about 15 g) and essential amino acids (35-70 g or more depending on weight and activity). But your body's requirements for these don't amount to *that* many calories. ALL the rest of your calories can come from sugar or starch, which is really just a long chain of attached sugars. Don't be afraid of sugar, we were designed to use it as our primary energy source.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 23, 2008 11:02PM

Concerned? I think it CAN be too sweet for some. You'll certainly have to be the judge of that.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 23, 2008 11:15PM

I'm not concerned about consuming fresh made juices. I continue to start my day everyday by drinking the juice made fresh from plants. I started juicing in 1987 and I'm still juicing and I continue to feel that juicing is a healthy practice. My opinion.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 24, 2008 10:44AM

I feel better then I ever have done by starting my morning on a juice - usually made from carrots, apples and pears with a little bit of lemon.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 24, 2008 02:10PM

People can get freaked out by the word "sugar."

Sugar from candy bars at the checkout counter in a grocery store is very different from the sugar in an apple or in carrots.

A fat and miserable (former) friend used to tell me I got too much sugar whenever she saw me eating fruit. Uh huh. She has type 2 diabetes now (didn't yet when we were friends, but was on her way) and is still doing the rounds of various commercial weight loss gimmickry... blood type diet, weight watchers, atkins, jenny craig, slimfast, nutrisystem, various commercial herbal pills...

Some people live on just fruit. Some people live on mostly fruit. Some people live on mostly fruit and tell people they are fruitarian because they think that makes them special. lol

Just eat what is best for you.

There are a couple people here who are not afraid of science and I always pay close attention to their posts. I also read Dr. Doug Graham's forum foodnsport.com but I usually skip right to his posts and don't read everything else.

The more I read AND listen to my body, the better I get at picking foods that are good for me. It was very tough at first. I was so out of touch with what I needed to eat.

Glad you are here! This is a great place to hang out. Lots of cool, supportive people.

Lee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2008 02:22PM by Lee_123.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 24, 2008 02:12PM

I've found the best Juices for me are Wheatgrass, Celery, and Carrot. I've never had a problem from drinking too much of any of them. In fact, I always feel better on 'only juices'.
Norman Walker drank a Quart (or more) of Carrot Juice everyday. He probably never heard of an Essential Fatty Acid.....WY

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 24, 2008 02:29PM

WY,

For some reason, when I read your post, I thought of all the poor people drinking a quart (or more) of Diet Coke a day who don't know what essential fatty acids are either. LOL!

You touched upon the issue of not knowing the scientific particulars of the science of all this but being in touch with what you body needs. I'm not one of the people around here who are trained scientifically or who have read all the science. But, I do really appreciate those people.

I need to get more in touch with what my body needs. What you wrote (above) echoes that.

Thanks to all for being here.

Lee

[www.buddhanet.net]

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 24, 2008 03:17PM

As a fruitarian I can go on lots of sugarcane juice. I feel great. I love sugar fruit sugar. It makes me feel better and I have been doing this a long time. I love sweet juices. I feel amazing.

Anybody can write anything about anything, and they do, people often repeat what doctors say without question or research and who knows who made it up in the first place. Truth is if they don't show you proof of their claims, do not take it as absolute truth unless you grasped the concept and proved it yourself.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 24, 2008 03:32PM

Thank you for all of your responses. They have been very helpful.

Newtojuicing

Posted by: claire ()
Date: February 24, 2008 06:27PM

I also love juices! But vegetable ones rather than fruit. I start off everyday with a pint or so of green juice, for example this morning I had cucumber, green bean, celery, lots of spinach and half a lime. IT tastes SO GOOD to me now. When I first started off juicing a couple of years ago I needed more fruit juices because I didn't like the taste of vegetable, but now it's definitely vegetable I prefer.

Happy juicing

Claire

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables