Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Looking for Balanced Reading Material and Information
Date: February 27, 2008 06:21PM

Ugh I know just what you mean Simple Living... I usually go to Borders or Barnes and Nobles to preview or read books. They seem to have a much larger raw section than any of the libraries in my area.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 07:35PM

You're in Minneapolis?

I live in Minneapolis and there are many books on raw foods at the library-Green for Life, Juliano's Raw, Raw Food Real World, Ani Phyo's book, Ann Wigmore, lots of older ones, etc. You can request books that have been checked out or are at other libraries, and even request that they buy a certain book (I did this for a DVD once. It took time but they did get it and I was first to check it out). They will also be joining up with the county library system, and then be bound to have even more.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 27, 2008 08:18PM

Posted by: rost0037 (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 01:35PM

You're in Minneapolis?

I live in Minneapolis and there are many books on raw foods at the library-Green for Life, Juliano's Raw, Raw Food Real World, Ani Phyo's book, Ann Wigmore, lots of older ones, etc. You can request books that have been checked out or are at other libraries, and even request that they buy a certain book (I did this for a DVD once. It took time but they did get it and I was first to check it out). They will also be joining up with the county library system, and then be bound to have even more.

Yup, I live downtown. Sad, but true. Scary for a country guy, actually. Minneapolis only has three stars and one of them keeps winking at me. (I'm getting concerned.) I haven't seen the stars in seven years. Can't wait to go to the OHI retreat later this year!

Which library are you going to? I had a librarian at the Central Library (the new downtown one) help do a search and she didn't find but four of them. Three were checked out.

I appreciate the suggestions. I'll have to head back when I'm done with Conscious Eating and scrounge around for myself. Would love to see something on DVD.

Date: February 27, 2008 09:12PM

Oh, no, that librarian is wrong! What a shame! I regularly go to the Walker, Central, East Lake, and Franklin, and request books from others as well. Here, do this:

--Go to [www.mpls.lib.mn.us]
--For your search, type in "raw foods" under "Subject" and you will get 20 results. If you do "raw food diet" you will get only 14. I don't know if it all overlaps or not. There are no DVDs, but you could request Alissa Cohen's DVD or any others you'd be interested in.
--Request everything you want (remember you can only read so many at a time) and request that it be sent to the Central library. Do this even if it's at Central, or it might get checked out before you get there. I checked out "RAWvolution" and "Eat smart, eat raw" from there last weekend (I just went randomly) so it'll be a few weeks before those are in winking smiley

Ta da! Hope that helps. The more variety, the more perspectives, the more you'll learn.

I really liked :Living cuisine : the art and spirit of raw foods / Renée Loux Underkoffler because it went through and described all the different kinds of produce there are. I'm not much of a recipe person, myself. I also loved Juliano's book because of the pictures. I would never make them as he has them though (1 cup oil, another cup of oil, and 2 cups of nuts), but the pictures are inspiring!

Date: February 27, 2008 09:23PM

Oh, no, that librarian is wrong! What a shame! I regularly go to the Walker, Central, East Lake, and Franklin, and request books from others as well. Here, do this:

--Go to [www.mpls.lib.mn.us]
--For your search, type in "raw foods" under "Subject" and you will get 20 results. If you do "raw food diet" you will get only 14. I don't know if it all overlaps or not. There are no DVDs, but you could request Alissa Cohen's DVD or any others you'd be interested in.
--Request everything you want (remember you can only read so many at a time) and request that it be sent to the Central library. Do this even if it's at Central, or it might get checked out before you get there. I checked out "RAWvolution" and "Eat smart, eat raw" from there last weekend (I just went randomly) so it'll be a few weeks before those are in winking smiley

Ta da! Hope that helps. The more variety, the more perspectives, the more you'll learn.

I really liked :Living cuisine : the art and spirit of raw foods / Renée Loux Underkoffler because it went through and described all the different kinds of produce there are. I'm not much of a recipe person, myself. I also loved Juliano's book because of the pictures. I would never make them as he has them though (1 cup oil, another cup of oil, and 2 cups of nuts), but the pictures are inspiring!

Wow, jackpot for ME! Thanks loads for the help!

I love Juliano's enthusiasm, but I agree about his food. He's a fat-maven! Have you seen the videos of him on YouTube? His restaurant isn't 100% raw.

Date: February 27, 2008 09:32PM

Yeah, his book has some things he doesn't use anymore, like maple syrup. In the interview on rawguru.com, he talks about some of those things. He must have a super fast metabolism, to be able to eat all that. But I love the enthusiasm and art inherent in his cooking.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:54AM

I love public libraries and I love the people who use them!

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 28, 2008 03:33AM

I like private owned bookstores,

libraries all have the same books, it seems. When things are free they are not always high quality. Like public education for example or socialized medicine in other commie countries.

Minneapolis is great I love it!! Ecopolitan! Dr. T! Yay!!

Date: February 28, 2008 04:04AM

I have to live near a library. I couldn't do without them. I don't have television or a stereo. I'm an avid reader and writer. Without books, I'd feel pretty lost.

Date: February 28, 2008 03:11PM

Suvine,

That's cool you know Dr. T. How did you find out about him? I am a little jealous of all that fruit you have fresh down in Miami.

That's actually how I heard about raw foods. His restaurant was new and had a stand at this green living fair. I wanted to visit the restaurant but I was a poor student. Finally I went and loved it. Now I go more often that I used to, but mostly to buy things like raw grains or nuts. The food is good but too salty and fatty for regular use. He has tons of great information and is a real asset, someone really working to promote health instead of himself.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables