Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How long does the detox lasts?
Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: February 24, 2008 08:55PM

Hi,

I went from SAD to raw 100% almost 2 months ago. I have no difficulty sticking to it and I like the food. However, I often feel tired even after long nights of sleep and I'm have little energy compared to before going raw. I wonder if this is normal after almost 2 months and would like to know how long it took for you to gain noticeable energy.

I eat lots of greens and fruits and some nuts and seeds and eat each time I'm hungry (I eat a lot!)

Last thing, I often feel some gentle tingling in my fingers since going raw and wonder if it's normal.

Thanks a lot

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How long does the detox lasts?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 24, 2008 09:57PM

Hi Sebzzz. Make sure you are regulating your own detox...at a pace that is right for you. YOU energy level depends on how much healing you have to do....and what YOUR goals are. Switching the frequency and/or size of your meals.....or simplifying your meals....can ALSO have a big impact on your energy level. I would give yourself at least 6-12 months to make the basic fundamental changes you your lifestyle that YOUR determine to be optimal...and then give a deep review.

Oh: Tingling normal. Eating often and staying full good.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: February 24, 2008 10:58PM

Seb, I agree w/Dave. I'm still detoxing and it's been over 3.5 years. I believe it is a continuous process. (Whatever bad stuff you put into your body, that's the stuff that has to come out. My friend was on/off raw vegan for over 20 years along with doing many fasts/cleanses and when he went on a 41 day fast, he spit up tobacco from his lungs that he had smoked over 20 years prior.)

You may be tired b/c you aren't getting enough nutrients and detoxing too fast. Check out your levels at fitday.com or similar website. Supplement where you are missing. There were often times, that I would wake up and felt like a Mack truck hit me. I was so exhausted. It was my body detoxing too fast. I had to slow it down and re-introduce some cooked and phase into raw slower. I first gave up all meat, then sugar & caffeine, then dairy, then flour, etc. Also, I found that I had low thyroid and that was making me tired, too. Good luck. Therese

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 25, 2008 03:39AM

I read it takes one month of raw to heal one year of eating SAD. So, it takes some time--but, hey, at least you're getting through it!

Again, checking fitday.com is a great idea, just to make sure your diet is well-rounded. =)

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 25, 2008 04:44AM

A month for every year? Great fluffy muffins, that's a long time! Isn't there a way to speed it up? I was considering going to The Tree of Life Rejuvenation Center (Gabriel Cousens) and going through their detox program. I didn't expect to leave there squeaky clean or pure as the driven snow, but I hoped I would get through the worst of it!

(What is "driven snow" anyway?!)

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 25, 2008 05:03AM

driven snow... its shakespearean: in The Winters Tale, autolycus describes a "lawn as white as driven snow."

but i personally like the quote "great fluffy muffins" better!

Date: February 25, 2008 11:41AM

Ha! I hear you. If one is VERY comfortable after 6-12 months...then yes....I think it would be good to speed it up a bit at that time. But hey, if one is making good changes for a LIFETIME (which...in my opinion...is the way to go) then what's the rush? a 1% change per week will bring 100% change in only 2 years. I think it is kind and realistic to expect to take at least 6 months....and more likely 1-2 years to change 20 or 30 years of poor physical, emotional, dietary, social, and spiritual habits...you know?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2008 02:42PM

Hi, you have not prepared your cells permeability sufficiently.Raw foods give high energy to push cells to release toxins. If your liver or other elimination organs are not able to clear these toxins you will absorb your own toxins back creating extra stress on the liver and of course you will be tired. Castor oil packs are always the first step.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 25, 2008 03:35PM

this is such a useful thread. I think I have been trying to run before I can walk. I always want to get everything 'right' straight away. I think I need to take things a bit slower and realise that there aren't any food police just around the corner. I tend to make myself feel guilty if I put the wrong thing in my mouth and that's not particularly helpful is it?

I identify with your posting Therese - as I have underactive thyroid and often feel like I've been hit by a truck and then feel soooo dissappointed that I'm not feeling all sparkly like every one else seems to!! I gues I have to learn to take it easy and be a bit more forgiving of myself - my body is no doubt doing it's best.

So useful to hear what all you people have to say

Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: February 25, 2008 04:52PM

What will likely happen if I just stick to raw food like I do right now? I have no psychological or will problem with doing that, but I want my body to be able to do the change.

What about those stories I read about other people who made the change overnight without any problem? I thought going gradually was for helping us psychologically and socially.

Date: February 25, 2008 05:35PM

we're all wired differently psychologically... for me (i'm attracted to extremes) going whole hog was easiest -- it was fun and exciting for me to do it that way, like jumping off a cliff. for others, slow if not very slow gradual progression seems to work best. i think the important part is not to struggle with it, or if you are struggling, not to get frustrated. so whatever method serves to cause less frustration and make you feel more "in the flow", thats the best way for YOU.

if you determine that you're okay with allowing your body devote its energetic resources to detox and not to your personal "energy", continue the course and be super nice and nurturing to yourself. take baths, get a massage, take naps, do things that make you feel supported. but if what you are experiencing is uncomfortable, you may want to do like DZM says and "regulate your detox" by slowing it down a bit.

Date: February 25, 2008 05:56PM

Right. Often, the people who indicate the changed 'overnight' (and I have no idea if this is similar to you Maui) that they often were preparing mentally and physicall for years...before making their 'sudden' change. smiling smiley In any event, those that go slow....can ALWAYS speed up if they find things too easy. For those that go at it too hard....and are very uncomfortable...it leaves a sour taste in their mouth....and a series of failures that can be very discouraging in the long run. Just my experiences.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 25, 2008 06:11PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> this is such a useful thread. I think I have been
> trying to run before I can walk. I always want to
> get everything 'right' straight away. I think I
> need to take things a bit slower and realise that
> there aren't any food police just around the
> corner. I tend to make myself feel guilty if I
> put the wrong thing in my mouth and that's not
> particularly helpful is it?
>
> I identify with your posting Therese - as I have
> underactive thyroid and often feel like I've been
> hit by a truck and then feel soooo dissappointed
> that I'm not feeling all sparkly like every one
> else seems to!! I gues I have to learn to take
> it easy and be a bit more forgiving of myself - my
> body is no doubt doing it's best.
>
> So useful to hear what all you people have to say

Your post is very encouraging, flipperjan and shows that you're really learning and growing in this lifestyle. I tend to be the same type as you. I can be pretty hard on myself and tend to hold very, very high standards for myself. Sometimes, you just have to relax and be patient. If we lose the joy and the excitement of living this way, then it's going to become tedious and we'll never stick to it.

Congratulations!

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: February 26, 2008 02:44AM

heathernicholson - can you tell me more about the castor oil packs? really interested, thanks
veggie

Date: February 26, 2008 03:29AM

i'm not heather, but my grandmother used to swear by castor oil packs for headaches and constipation, so i have a bit of experience. here's a great link...

[www.earthclinic.com]

i still use castor oil drops in my eyes when they get tired or red/itchy from allergies, etc. as recommended by my ayurvedic practitioner. they are very soothing.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 26, 2008 05:18AM

I DO NOT THINK IT EVER ENDS.
I MEAN, UNLESS YOU FAST ON WATER UNTIL YOUR BREATH SMELLS NICE AGAIN.

THINGS IS THERE IS ALWAYS STUFF TO DETOX. IF I AM INSIDE TOO LONG WITH AIR CONDITIONER, I MAY GET COLD SYMPTOMS, LIKE SNIFFLES OR SNEEZES, SAME IF I RIDE A PLANE. IF I EAT SOMETHING BAD, MY GLANDS SWELL A BIT.ITS ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THIS SINCE RAW IN 2003. IF I AM DEHYDRATED I MIGHT GET ITHCY SKIN OR SMALL HIVES.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables