Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

nasty attack of diarroea - sorry!!!
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 25, 2008 03:26PM

so sorry to put this on you but you all seem so kind and helpful that I thought I'd risk asking this question.

Having had a nasty attack of the above I am wondering what has caused it. Mung bean sprouts make me blow up like mad and I had them 24 - 36 hours before but they haven't had such an extreme reacton before. some spinach in a juice might have been a bit past it - could that do it??

also peanut butter, eaten by the spoonful - alas not raw but me feeling desperately pre-menstruel and climbing the walls for chocolate and not having any and trying desperately to find something to satisfy - it didnt!!!!

Maybe it's a big bit of detox taking place but it seems a bit hard core. It's not a bug as the rest of my family are fine and I do not feel ill in any way.

I would very much like opinions from any of you that feelbrave enough to broach the topic!!!
thanks
Philippa

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: nasty attack of diarroea - sorry!!!
Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 25, 2008 07:21PM

I ate A LOT of bing cherries a while back and they gave me some diarreah. I'm not sure why because I eat a lot of fruit. I look at it as a cleansing reaction by my body when stuff comes out fast and liquid (sorry) :<

If I watch my fat intake there are less problems all around.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 25, 2008 08:23PM

This sounds like a classic case of a simple stomach "bug"--food poisoning in fact. It's bound to happen from time to time, hopefully less often as your immune system gets stronger. Maybe the sprouts grew extra bacteria, who knows? I wouldn't read too much into it.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 25, 2008 09:28PM

Yeah, this is probably a mild case of food poisoining. I had it not too long ago with some spinach I didn't rinse enough.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 25, 2008 10:00PM

Posted by: arugula (IP Logged)
Date: February 25, 2008 03:28PM

Yeah, this is probably a mild case of food poisoining. I had it not too long ago with some spinach I didn't rinse enough.

How is the best way to clean/wash fruits and vegetables? Just a good rinsing?

Date: February 25, 2008 10:16PM

Thank you all very much for your responses. I think maybe the spinach was the culprit.
My partner wants to know what bug you could get from spinach - he doesn't think it possible.

Date: February 25, 2008 10:24PM

There was quite a serious E Coli outbreak involving Spinach recently in the US.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: rawangel ()
Date: February 25, 2008 10:37PM

Thank God for diarrhea!

Diarrhea is nature's way of ridding the body of toxins. You're probably experiencing mild food poisoning and it's a good thing although it's not fun to experience. If the toxic waste didn't flush out of our systems like it does, can you imagine how much pain & discomfort we would feel? And the poor souls around us. ohh, I'm a bitch when I'm experiencing gastric distress. lol.

Soaked prunes, celery juice, cucumber juice, small amounts of really soft almost overripe bananas and ginger root are all foods that help me if I experience the runs. Also lots of pure water, even though this sounds counterproductive. It's because you get dehydrated pretty quickly.

And hey what about raw chocolate? Are you kidding? I just had some this morning. Banana ice cream with some raw cacao powder -- instant pudding. You can also make a ton of chocolate treats if you're still craving chocolate for PMS. After several months of being raw, I no longer crave chocolate before my cycle. Hey I no longer have PMS!

Hope you feel better.

Two words. Baby wipes.

Peace,
RawAngel

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 10:46PM by rawangel.

Date: February 26, 2008 09:52AM

thank you raw angel - am stocking up on raw chocolate. Hard to find all these things in South west England - most shop keepers, even in health food shops, look at me as though I have just dropped off Mars when I mention raw foods. Yesterday some helpful lady told me that everything was raw if I didn't cook it!!!!!!
oh well

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: February 26, 2008 11:09AM

Hi flipperjan!

The UK health food shop 'Food For Thought' stocks raw chocolate bars (and raw cacao too! woohoo!). Where about's are you in the UK?

Date: February 26, 2008 12:03PM

Cool - I don't think I know that shop.
I live about 20 miles from Exeter in Devon, just on the edge of Dartmoor.

Totnes is a good place for these things but it is a 60 mile round trip and you know the price of fuel in England!!!

thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can track a 'Food for Thought' down.

where are you?

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: February 26, 2008 01:51PM

I'm London based :-) There's a shop in St Ives (Cornwall) called Living Foods of St Ives. It's still quite far from you, but maybe mailorder would reach you pretty quick :-)

[www.livingfood.co.uk]

They do cacao and super foods, sprouting kits and things. I haven't personally shopped with them, but family members have and have had good experiences :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables