Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

First real effort. shopping list
Posted by: Seren ()
Date: February 25, 2008 05:55PM

So starting today I'm giving my first big effort to go raw. So far I have just planned for one week to see how it goes and how I feel. The last thing I want to do is set my expectations too high while starting out.
I get very practical in stressful situations so i figured this would be easier if I went through a book, picked some meals, and wrote out a food plan and a list of exactly what I would need to make my meals for the week.
Today I went to a small local fresh fruit and veg stand and bought:

2 Lemons
4 Oranges
6 Bananas
2 Bags Frozen Berries (from grocery store)
1 Bag Dried apricots(from grocery store)
1 Bag sunflower seeds (unsalted, unroasted etc)
2 Bags spinach (from grocery store)
3 Fl Avocados
1 Cucumber
1 Bag organic carrots
2 Localy grown grapefruit
2 Apples
1 Bag pecans
1 Bag dried cranberries (bad, i know)
2 Mangoe
2 Tomato
1 Bunch parsley
1 Onion
1 Zucchini
1 Red pepper

Total Cost: $31.43

Is this expensive or cheap?
I am expecting myself to need much more food than this for a whole week but that's what my one week meal plan requires, and it includes snacks. Also I realise that I might crack and eat some cookies (I make cookies for a living - at Great American Cookies, it's hell when on a diet) but hopefully I can be strong enough.
That said, how do you guys manage to eat at work? I have access to a fridge but I would have to haul alot of food with me to keep me from starving. Do you have any suggestions of what I should add to my diet for better nutrition that isn't too expensive? I appreciate any help. Thanks! oh and have a good day smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First real effort. shopping list
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 25, 2008 05:59PM

You MAY end up buying smaller things that you crave on an as-needed basis. But your list sounds good. Better to get a little too much in the beginning...while you are experimenting. If you 'crack' then you are going too fast! LOL. If you ARE going to eat something that YOU think is bad...just make sure YOU pick the time and the place. Don't do it because you happen to feel like it.

-I eat at work by bringing a big bag of fresh fruit....and eating from the bag at my desk whenever I feel like it. I have never had a problem at any of my positions - other than them wanting a bite. smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: February 25, 2008 06:05PM

I agree with David.. I think your list is great smiling smiley

For work: When I have to go into the office (I usually work from home) I keep nuts and dried fruit in my desk just in case I am extra hungry. I usually bring two containers for lunch; one with a large fruit salad (cut up) and the other with a large green salad. I also make sure I keep hydrated throughout the day.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 25, 2008 06:07PM

Price-wise, it sounds great, Seren! If it's organic then the price is phenomenal! I'm in Minneapolis and... just... ouch.

Great job! Best wishes on your success!

Posted by: Seren ()
Date: February 25, 2008 06:09PM

oooh excitment. I have wanted to go to your raw food farm thinger (excuse the immaturity) for over a year now but im too young sad smiley but only till may 1st - yay 21 grinning smiley
I live in Naples fl and honestly don't have the money to be excessive with my food so the idea of growing it down here despite all the bugs is great. Anyways, thanks.

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: February 25, 2008 11:53PM

i think this is a great list and great price. my cart usually consists of 30-40 different items at a cost of 189.00 or at the most we spent (during winter) was gasp...309.00!!!! i know this seems excessive but we love our organics. they make us feel better and taste better IMO!!
i'm glad that our lives afford us the opportunity to indulge in healthy eating.
it may be costly now but in the long run we are saving mucho on medical...
brooke

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 26, 2008 12:08AM

i know this seems excessive but we love our organics. they make us feel better and taste better IMO!!

Golly! I hope I taste better, too! LOL (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

it may be costly now but in the long run we are saving mucho on medical...

This really is the way to look at it. Not only do you save money on health issues, but eating organically isn't really that expensive when you consider all the "food" items you're not buying. Everything in a boxes, cans, jars, meats, dairy, over the counter drugs, etc., I live in the city of Minneapolis and it can be pretty expensive here. With all the stuff I no longer buy, the grocery bill has gone way down. And don't forget all the money you save on eating out so much. And all the trips to the coffee shops.

Here's a tip: Go to a Food Co Op and join them. I have one down the road from me and it was $80 to join. Nothing else ever. On top of that, every other month, you get $2.50 off a $25 order. ($5 off $50 and $7.50 off $75.) In one year only, you get $45 of it back in discounts! Not to mention the other member discounts, and that you don't have to pay tax on your order, you can let ANYONE use your card, and you get a percentage of all of your purchases back at the end of the year because you're a member/owner of the Co Op. In one year, I made all of my money back. Now, the rest is just gravy. (I mean, homemade cacao syrup.)

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: February 26, 2008 12:09AM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> -I eat at work by bringing a big bag of fresh
> fruit....and eating from the bag at my desk
> whenever I feel like it. I have never had a
> problem at any of my positions - other than them
> wanting a bite. smiling smiley

I used to keep my fruit in a basket on my desk at work because I loved the way it looked. Then people started eating my food. I had to start locking in my desk.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 26, 2008 12:53AM

My idea of a perfect shopping excursion is when I am able to completely avoid buying anything that has a label or a package.

I saw a documentary this weekend called "The Future of Food" and there was quite a bit about how the US doesn't require the labeling of products that have GMO ingredients. I thought, simple solution... don't buy anything but organic fresh whole foods. Now I'll never have to worry if there's GMO corn in my Cheetos!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 26, 2008 01:36AM

I agree that those are AWESOME prices.

According to the statistics of how many bananas each person on this site eats per day, you will want more. smiling smiley

I'd grab some kale if I were you. Yum!

And don't feel bad if you eat cooked food. Cookies made at a store are less than ideal, but if you want a cookie, make some healthy ones at home with whole grains and wholesome sweeteners. You might find that raw food desserts are better, too. And also don't get caught up on being 100% raw. Raw foodists eat 75% or more raw food.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 26, 2008 01:50AM

amazing price imo.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 26, 2008 02:09AM

I could eat all of that in about 2 days.

A bunch of us concentrate on cheaper things for this reason.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables