Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Groumet/nut allergy!
Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: February 25, 2008 10:05PM

Hi Guys, we are having friends over next weekend and want to treat them to a raw feast. One of our guests has a horrible nut allergy. I am looking for recipes - SIMPLE ones, cuz I am new to this, for a full meal. I have a dehydrator and a food processor.

Know of any good recipes that circumvent the nuts? Anything that can be substituted for nuts?

Thanks much for any recipes, pointers or ressources!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Groumet/nut allergy!
Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 25, 2008 11:47PM

Is your guest alergic to seeds too? ...like pumpkin, sunflower and flax?

If not, those can be good subs. i've made some pretty delish sauces with sunny seeds.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: February 26, 2008 01:55AM

Well, Preparing meal for a not very healthy=allergic person is ALWAYS a challenge,

1. It would be serious challenge to anyone especially/even on a SAD diet to "satisfy"/ make a "safe", and delicious meal for one.
So go easy on yourself about "having to" impress your friends.. so you know, that you haven't failed if not everyone will be pleased.

After all: It IS SAFE or sorry.. :-)

2. I don't know how long have you done raw/ how efficient are you at preparing dishes/ what style do you prefer. Is it more like D.Wolfe advocates: excessive fats in overall diet,
or more Natural approach, with low fat content.

Depending on your preference/ preference of your guests something could be created.

My advice/ to at least 1/3 or 2/3 of dishes: KEEP IT SIMPLE. :-)

Go Into more, but simpler dishes, so everyone will find something they like, to go with some variety of different dressings to choose from.

*You can never please someone as well as they can do themselves, by choosing food/ to their taste, which WILL Depend on what they have drank that day/ eat for past several days.. ;-)

Experiment..

As for nut allergy.. or any allergy. High fat foods usually(if not always) increase allergic symptoms, so be careful/ let that person know if it isn't obvious to them by now, before the go "Over board" with the tasty dishes you will prepare.. :-)

It is so much easier, when not careful to have to much fat in dressings.. sometimes even up to 2, 3, 4x more in a raw dressing(oily seeds like flax), than purchased/ standard ones.

..sure it will taste great to Your friends(especially if they are not raw/vegetarian)

For "nut flavored" dressing you could experiment with avocado blended with some water(experiment, and taste when and if it needs to have more water) to create very simple dressing for salad/ lettuce leafs/ green leafy vegetables/ broccoli/ cauliflower/...

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 26, 2008 02:13AM

what about coconut (its a fruit, not a nut!). you can make coconut noodles and toss them with a spicy thai-style sauce. (coconut, lemongrass, cilantro, lime, thai chiles are all things that come to mind...)

or zucchini noodles (just use your vegetable peeler if you don't have a fancy spiralizer) tossed with a pesto-esque sauce of basil, olive oil, diced tomatoes, ground pepper, garlic, etc...

you can do pesto-esque stuffed portabello mushrooms in your dehydrator.

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: February 28, 2008 09:22AM

THESE ARE SOME GOOD IDEAS.

AS TO COCONUT.. HEY, IF YOU LIKE IT EAT IT WITHOUT CALLING IT FRUIT, OR NOT(nut) ;-)

, I BELIEVE WHAT MAKES FRUIT, OR FRUITARIAN IS NOT "JUST" ONE CHARACTERISTIC.. OTHER SIMILARITIES SHOULD BE TAKEN UNDER CONSIDERATION WHEN CATEGORIZATION OR COMPARISON TAKES PLACE

how about water, fat, protein content,
and isn't fruit suppose to have "a new life form" inside of it in form of nut/seed?

:-)

Sorry for caps there..

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: February 28, 2008 12:06PM

How about make burritos, the beans, rice and tortillas will be cooked of course but most of the rest of the ingredients are just salad ingredients. It's warm and satisfying and if you set the fillings out buffet style, on a separate table, and have everyone make their own, everyone will get what they want.

I would buy a jar of mild salsa too just because your guests are probably used to saltyness. And for my guests who are not into health food at all I would also make quesadillas, with "fake" cheese too. I've put together a meal like this in 15 min (the rice was already cooked and the beans came from a can).

It's not the most ideal meal but it works for me when I have guest who are fast food junkies and the cool thing about it is that everyone makes their own burrito and puts what they want on it, you just provide the ingredients.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables