Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Has anyone read....
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 25, 2008 11:03PM

God's Way to Ultimate Health : A Common Sense Guide for Elimination of Sickness Through Nutrition by George H. Malkmus, Michael Dye?

I'm still trying to find great books to read but this is very difficult when you aren't familiar with the authors or the subject matter. I appreciate other people's recommendations.

Being a Christian, the above book intrigues me. The books that lay heavily on new age or metaphysics don't really interest me much. I guess I just wonder why all the books I've been finding are so spiritual in nature anyway. I have nothing against spirituality, especially being a Christian, and I can understand a page or two on the spiritual connection with eating raw, but several chapters?

I'm just trying to improve my diet/lifestyle and grow old healthily. I really don't need someone else's spiritual philosophies to go along with it. I'm not trying to be offensive, just honest. I don't even care about the Christian philosophy behind it.

To me, it's simple. Eat more natural food and less man-made food. Ta-dah! This isn't rocket science. Why do the books try to make it out to be?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Has anyone read....
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 25, 2008 11:14PM

because

The Ta-Dah Guide to Raw Foods by Simple Living
> ...it's simple. Eat more natural food and
> less man-made food. Ta-dah! This isn't rocket
> science.

won't sell many copies i suppose... smiling smiley

but in all seriousness, once you've sort of mastered the basics (ta-dah!) and you're a few miles down the path, i'm sure that the spiritual avenues that open up once the body has energy to devote to more than keeping you alive and functioning at a very basic level become the most interesting thing. while most people who begin a raw foods lifestyle probably do so to grow old healthily or lose weight, i bet a greater percentage of experienced raw foodists who are passionate enough to write a book about their experiences are motivated by the less visceral aspects. just guessing.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: February 26, 2008 01:21AM

Read Dr Arnold Ehret's "The Mucusless Diet Healing System" & Dr Hulda Clark's "The Cure for All Diseases". They are raw but describe diet, cleansing, and environmental factors to disease.

Malkmus's book would be faith-based as he is a Reverend. You can go to Hallelujah Acres and his diet is there.

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 07:03PM

LOL - like Maui Butterfly says - people write books to make $$! People buy books to feel emotions. Whether it be happiness, sadness, intrest piqued, someone to relate to. People desire to feel spiritual, so they buy books that make them feel like they are doing something spritual. But yeah - it's really not rocket science, like you said, I don't think the two relate all that much, except for freeing up energy to do spiritual things instead of feeling sick all the time.

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Date: February 27, 2008 07:13PM

while most people who begin a raw foods lifestyle probably do so to grow old healthily or lose weight, i bet a greater percentage of experienced raw foodists who are passionate enough to write a book about their experiences are motivated by the less visceral aspects.

That makes sense. Growing old healthily, losing some weight and feeling better are my motives. I'm a writer, but I doubt I'd ever write a book about it.

I start Saturday and I'm seriously considering creating a blog just for this purpose. It would provide some accountability. I can't imagine anyone being interested in following my progress, so it would be more for me. (People have enough to do with their lives, I'm sure!)

I have the spirituality area covered, so I'm just reading these books for their applicable dietary information. That actually cuts out about half the reading in some of these books!

Date: February 28, 2008 04:30AM

Just a note: I had a friend with a digital camera come over tonight and take some "before" pictures of me. I have never allowed pictures of me to be taken before. I only have one of me and my best friend a few days after his wedding and that's strictly for the memory of it.

I couldn't believe my eyes when the pictures were downloaded into my computer. I'm not a crybaby but I about started to cry. They're horrible. As a matter of fact, I've never seen worse pictures. I mean, I love who I am and I respect myself. I wouldn't trade my life for anyone else's for any reason. But I had no idea this was how I looked.

I'm having second thoughts about starting a blog about my progress. I'm more convinced than ever that going 100% raw is the right choice for me. I just don't think I could share those photos. At least not until I see some improvement. If going 100% raw works for me, changing what I saw in those photos, I'll publish them around the world screaming the miracle of raw foods to everyone I meet.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 28, 2008 05:02AM

Simple Living Wrote:
> I'm having second thoughts about starting a blog
> about my progress. I'm more convinced than ever
> that going 100% raw is the right choice for me. I
> just don't think I could share those photos. At
> least not until I see some improvement. If going
> 100% raw works for me, changing what I saw in
> those photos, I'll publish them around the world
> screaming the miracle of raw foods to everyone I
> meet.

right here to hold your hand SL...

i can hear how committed you are, and i know in my heart of hearts that raw foods is going to revolutionize your life and appearance. don't do the blog if you don't want to, but i can tell you that the visual impact of the major changes that people make is so inspiring. i also check out the forum at rawfoodtalk.com, it has a real different vibe, mostly newbies, mostly women, lots of "recipes". but there are a number of people over there who have posted their before/afters, and you wouldn't believe (1) the transformation and (2) how inspiring it is to others on that board -- they lose their minds over those photos. many people post how it keeps them going, or inspired them to go raw in the first place. its powerful. i think on Feb 30th 2009 you are going to look at those same photos that are tweaking you out right now and be sooooo happy and impressed with yourself. you will be proud to show the "befores" to the world... right next to the "afters".

check out:
[www.rawfoodtalk.com]
[www.rawfoodtalk.com]
[www.rawfoodtalk.com]
[s107.photobucket.com]
[www.rawschool.com]
[www.rawfoodinfo.com]
[www.welikeitraw.com]
[www.rawhealing.com]
[www.rawfoodinfo.com]
[www.rawfoodtalk.com]
[www.rawfoodtalk.com]
[www.dixiestorylovinghands.com]

and of course our own GypsyArdor -- who looks absolutely sparklingly fantabulous!!!

i can't wait to publish my own pics on JULY 27th 2008 (one year).

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 28, 2008 05:28AM

Simple Living, I TOTALLY agree with you regarding the spiritual stuff in raw energy books. I also am ONLY looking for health not spiritual awakening.
Hugs to you regarding your photos. I know exactly how you feel and now I love the way I look! such a huge difference after a lifetime of struggling with weight. Go go go and get control of your health. smiling smiley Grayzie

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:03AM

Malkmus never actually had cancer but he claims that he did. So I'd take what he says with a grain of salt, a big one.

On the other hand, his nutritionist Michael Donaldson has written some nice authentic papers, they are indexed in pubmed and some are free online.

Date: February 28, 2008 10:18PM

Okay. I've decided to go ahead with the blog. Face the fear. I am who I am right now because of the decisions I've made in the past. Who I am a year from now will be the result of the decisions I make today. It freaks me out to do this, but, it won't physically kill me, so what could happen? Part of me will shrink, but the best part of me will grow.

Thank you all for your inspiration.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:00PM

Simple Living - Congratulations on conquering your fear. Instead of coming up on the blog decision and letting fear win you turned your possible stumbling block into a stepping stone to move you up and over your challenge. Anytime you do that you win and you get stronger. smiling smiley This blog will give you a starting place to measure from as your journey commences. I think you are going to be surprised at how easily the pounds melt away as your body works tirelessly to make you naturally healthy. Achieving your ideal weight is a part of that process and your body will do it as part of making you the healthiest version of you that is possible.. The key is persistence. If you slip learn from the experience and get back on the path and move on looking forward and not back. Best wishes on a successful journey.
Here's a link to my favorite raw food lifestyle journey blog whose in progress story has been an inspiration to many including me. Her name is Morn:

[home.comcast.net]

Date: February 29, 2008 11:51AM

Here's an interesting blog about Steve Pavlina's January 2008 raw food experiment. I found the February 4th conclusions interesting.

[www.stevepavlina.com]

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 29, 2008 01:09PM

Simple Living,

I never read that book.

*Hugs* I kept a blog while transitioning and then during my first year 100% raw. I posted the pictures, but marked them as private at the time. I was horrified to have them where others could see, but I knew one day I'd unlock them for others to be inspired by raw foods (because I knew in my heart that my body could heal itself with raw foods as a fuel). I'm down 90 pounds, so far, and the images became unlocked not that long ago. It's still hard to look at those photos, because they aren't just about size--they are memories of the depression I was hiding and so much more.

I hope you'll share everything in your journal, even if you have to mark some of your posts as private. It's such a healing process to empty things out when writing (for me it is, anyway).

Tomorrow is your fresh start! Best wishes to you and lots of love!!

Wendi Dee
XOXOXO

[www.purejeevan.com] if you want to see some before/after pics for inspiration

Date: February 29, 2008 01:35PM

Wendi -- those are very inspiring before and after pictures and an interesting story. The raw food lifestyle has been very good for you.
Congratulations

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables