Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ice ice baby
Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 26, 2008 05:15PM

So i got a blender! i am so excited to start making smoothies!! But i was wondering.....when i make them do i use ice?
If so do i make fiji water ice trays or is the store ice ok?

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ice ice baby
Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 26, 2008 09:32PM

congratulations on your new blender! no need to use ice in your smoothies unless you want to. i generally don't.

cheers!

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 26, 2008 09:35PM

thanks maui!

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 26, 2008 11:13PM

I don't like things so cold, hurts my teeth. So I never use ice.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 26, 2008 11:23PM

I prefer things without ice, too. However, a frozen banana in my smoothie is usually quite nice. ;-)

Congrats on the blender!

Love,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:46AM

I've always wondered about that. Water while eating dilutes gastric juices and is less than optimal, and the ice would melt inside your body... so I don't know? Enough juicy fruit, anyway, and you won't need it. Feel free to chill things before blending... Mmm... Now I want a smoothie!

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: February 27, 2008 03:06AM

No you shouldn't!! Your body has to work extra hard - first to warm it up, and then to digest it. I would recommend room temp, or a tiny bit cold only if you have to. I still use about three pieces of crushed ice to a huge blender full, but it is never cold. I throw that in to offset the warmth from blending, but always try to keep it around room temp.

An old ayrvedic principle is that your stomach has a fire burning in it - that is the digestive fire. As soon as you put in something cold, you put the fire out. Then your body has to "restart the fire" in order to digest properly.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:03PM

veggiefreak Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> An old ayrvedic principle is that your stomach has
> a fire burning in it - that is the digestive fire.
> As soon as you put in something cold, you put the
> fire out. Then your body has to "restart the
> fire" in order to digest properly.

right, same principle holds for drinking liquids while eating meals, it dilutes digestive fire. drinking 30 minutes before or after meals is better.

when i make smoothies i rarely if ever add water. i usually add cucumbers because they have such a high water content. you can get away with this in a vitamix-type blender...

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: February 27, 2008 05:46PM

i use ice. especially with my green smoothies.
I don't like it to heat up too much and I find ice keeps the temp down. part ice and part water to dilute as needed.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 27, 2008 08:56PM

I also add a small amount of ice to the top of the blender before I put the lid on - just enough to keep the blender friction from making it warm.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 27, 2008 08:59PM

drinking liquids with liquidy or juicy foods doesn't really change things that much. steve meyeorwitz has interesting things to say about this if you care to look up any of his books. i like his writing, he's good.

i do believe that it's true that hot and cold foods require extra energy from the body to bring them to body temperature. i don't use ice.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables