Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

disturbing news about cacao
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 26, 2008 07:50PM

Kris5194 posted on the sunshine heart story and directed folk to a link about the dangers of cacao and I thought it was worth having a discussion about in it's own right.

Go to www.rawlife.com, health articles on the right hand side of page and click on raw chocolate article. I'm very new to raw food issues so I would love to hear other peoples opinions about this article.

I'm sure lots of people will be very upset about the contents of this article not least Shazzie who has written a book all about the joys and wonders of raw chocolate!! (I haven't read that book - maybe she does sound a note of caution)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: disturbing news about cacao
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2008 08:04PM

there is a ton of discussion on this forum about the pros and cons of cacao. you can find those threads if you do a search, lots of great info there. many people agree that it's not so terrific for you.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 26, 2008 08:54PM

I'm new to the raw foods lifestyle, too. My thoughts on cacao are that it will be more of a condiment, to enhance the flavor of certain meals or snacks. I don't want to get in the habit of replacing the junk food in my SAD life with cacao in my raw life.

It's like vegetarians who eat tofurkey instead of turkey. I'll never understand that. If you don't want to eat meat, why find a natural food and disguise it as meat?

In the same sense, I don't want to replace junk food with healthier options. I'm looking for a whole new attitude about eating altogether. Does this make sense? No matter what the article says, I don't think a few nibs periodically are going to hurt anyone. If you gorge on it, of course you'll have problems. But, if you gorge on spinach you'll have your share of problems there, too.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 26, 2008 08:54PM

I've certainly never felt bad after eating it!

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Date: February 26, 2008 09:00PM

Posted by: Utopian Life (IP Logged)
Date: February 26, 2008 02:54PM

I've certainly never felt bad after eating it!

That's the thing about chocolate/cacao. 14 out of 10 people surveyed like it.

Date: February 26, 2008 09:03PM

Simple Living Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Posted by: Utopian Life (IP Logged)
> Date: February 26, 2008 02:54PM
>
>
> I've certainly never felt bad after eating it!
>
> That's the thing about chocolate/cacao. 14 out of
> 10 people surveyed like it.

I don't find the rawlife "health article" to be very eloquent.
Besides, I don't eat cacao for my health; it's for pleasure. I'd be more concerned about people who eat foods that are "proven" good for them 95% of their intake but then worry so much about a little cacao which might have mold and insect parts (hello, what do they think is in vegetables?!)

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 26, 2008 09:08PM

sorry should do searches before I post - but haven't managed to find anything - guess I'm rubbish at doing searches

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: February 26, 2008 09:11PM

It seems everyone has a different reaction to cacao. The only way to know is eat it and see how you feel. I eat a fair bit of cacao and I feel great! Occasionally I will eat too much and not feel too good (although I'm still not sure if that is the cacao that has a bad effect on me or if it's too much agave).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 26, 2008 11:15PM

i can't use the search function either, i just scroll through the older pages until i come across what i want.

here's one discussion

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

and one more

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

and another

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

another two

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 11:19PM by coco.

Date: February 27, 2008 01:43AM

It's funny that this post was made today because I just made my usual truffles (a small serving of cacao, stevia, agave, vanilla, and hemp or other nuts/seeds) and I added water to the cacao to help grind up the nibs and that was a HUGE mistake. It was the worst thing I have tasted in a long time and turned my stomach. I will NEVER do that again, not only because I wasted about $15 worth of cacao, but because I wanted some chocolate and now I don't want any. sad smiley

Date: February 27, 2008 02:17AM

Date: February 26, 2008 07:43PM

It's funny that this post was made today because I just made my usual truffles (a small serving of cacao, stevia, agave, vanilla, and hemp or other nuts/seeds) and I added water to the cacao to help grind up the nibs and that was a HUGE mistake. It was the worst thing I have tasted in a long time and turned my stomach. I will NEVER do that again, not only because I wasted about $15 worth of cacao, but because I wanted some chocolate and now I don't want any. sad smiley

I hate when that happens! You get your taste buds set on something wonderful and it gets destroyed right in front of your eyes! Bummer for you! I think Shakespeare said it best when he said, "That sucketh!"

Date: February 27, 2008 03:34AM

I had to eat a pear and a salad to get the taste out of my mouth. Thank you for the sympathy! grinning smiley

Date: February 27, 2008 04:09AM

Date: February 26, 2008 09:34PM

I had to eat a pear and a salad to get the taste out of my mouth. Thank you for the sympathy! grinning smiley

Sympathy comes easy when you understand having your taste buds set on something particular. I'll never forget in 1992 when I was living in California. I had a hankerin' for Hagendaaz Chocolate Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. I drove to the local 7-11 for a pint but they were out. I drove to another one and they were out. I drove around and around until I finally, finally found one - 33 miles later! After that, I couldn't find it anymore and went berserk! I wrote to the Hagendaaz Company and they sent back a very sympathetic letter saying they stopped making it and included a gift certificate for a free pint of ice cream. Fourteen years later, I wrote back to Hagendaaz, enclosed their certificate for the free pint of ice cream and asked them if they had considered bringing it back as a classic. I got a response a week later. I letter signed by several people on the Hagendaaz staff saying that one of the guys there remembered me and said they kept my letter all those years just as I kept their certificate for a free pint of ice cream! (I told them I would only redeem it for the Chocolate Chocolate Chip!) LOL They apologized again and said that they doubt they'll ever bring it back. This time, along with my coupon for a free pint, I got a 50 cents off coupon! My, how the times have changed!

So, yes, I understand the craving!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 04:10AM by Simple Living.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:32AM

cacao is very addicting. Hey I wondered why anybody hasnt scammed everyone with raw coffeebeans or something

Date: February 27, 2008 04:37AM

I guess bananas and kale are addictive, too, considering how much I eat per day (much more than any cacao).

Date: February 27, 2008 04:41AM

Oops... too late to edit my post (2 above) but I meant to say "Chocolate Chocolate Mint" ice cream.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 27, 2008 06:53AM

hey utopian life

i agree with the kale thing

it can get pretty addictive

that stuff tastes like heaven to me

love the taste, love the texture love everything about it

la v eronique

kale addique

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 27, 2008 07:55AM

kale juice with a hint of lime is a delicious nectar!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 27, 2008 12:53PM

> That's the thing about chocolate/cacao. 14 out of 10 people surveyed like it

What does this phrase mean??

Date: February 27, 2008 02:22PM

Posted by: VeganLife (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 06:53AM

> That's the thing about chocolate/cacao. 14 out of 10 people surveyed like it

What does this phrase mean??

It's a quip. A joke. It's just a funny way of saying that everyone loves chocolate! (Yes, I understand there are a few in the world who don't.)

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 27, 2008 03:08PM

I have 10 Raw Cacao Beans (whole) in my Fruit Smoothies. It gives it a nice flavor, without overpowering it......WY

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:04PM

I stay away from cacao because in the past chocolate has been extremely addictive for me and it causes me to have heart problems. I love, love, LOVE the stuff, however. I loved it as dark as I could get it, so I'm thinking I'd fall in love with raw cacao very easily. I'm often tempted to try it, but I'm afraid I'd spiral out of control. So, I stay clean and sober. :-P

Love,

Wendi
XOXOXO

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:07PM

suvine Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> cacao is very addicting. Hey I wondered why
> anybody hasnt scammed everyone with raw
> coffeebeans or something

it won't be long now,i think... [www.foodnavigator-usa.com]

Date: February 27, 2008 08:05PM

The Soy Delicious Purely Decadent line has some good chocolate ice creams that are at least vegan, of course not raw.

Date: February 27, 2008 08:13PM

Date: February 27, 2008 02:05PM

The Soy Delicious Purely Decadent line has some good chocolate ice creams that are at least vegan, of course not raw.

May I recommend the Peanut Butter Zig Zag? Most excellent! But, I've had my last one. You know what? It's okay though. I really don't/won't miss it.

Posted by: Mauigirl206 ()
Date: March 12, 2008 09:47PM

that food navigator site is great! thanks for sharing that

Jenna

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables