Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

If you only had 3-6 months to live?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: February 27, 2008 12:53AM

This is just an analogy. Kind of curious what people would choose.

If you only had 3-6 months to live possibly, would you still eat all raw? Or would you eat whatever you wanted to eat, whenever you wanted, regardless of whether it is raw or not, or whether it is all that healthy or not?

Perhaps, say it was that you had to have this lifesaving surgery to be scheduled in 3-6 months and there was a high risk of not making it through the surgery. So, what you eat could not save you, and you don't know 100% that you will not make it. Yet you also seriously do not know if you have more then 3-6 months. Would you still strictly resist your cravings for cooked foods?

Or say even it was that you knew ahead of time that in 3-6 months, someone was going to attack you and try to kill you, yet you don't know if they will succeed. You just know that it will happen and that you very well might not have that much time left. Through a premonition you believe in or whatever. How would you live your life differently if different at all?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If you only had 3-6 months to live?
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:00AM

You know, I really don't think food would be that high on my priority list if that were the case.

I think I'd be more focused on making other people happy, rather than what I eat or wear or where I go or what I read or listen to.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:05AM

Yes.
No.
I don't crave cooked food.
Not differently, but more.

"It's not the years in your life but the life in your years that matter."

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:08AM

Its worse than you say! LOL. I only have THIS MOMENT to live! winking smiley

-Yes. I'd still eat raw. All you ever have to do anything is NOW. All else is a fictional story that may or may not happen anyway. I make every decision as if the process would have to last forever. If I finish sooner....well hey!

-There's no need to 'resist' poor food choices if they are absolutely incompatible with my goals. And my passionate goals/dreams do not change. Whether I have 50 years, 6 months, or just 1 moment. I don't stop drawing a beautiful picture....even if they threaten to take away all my paints....since I'll always find SOME medium. smiling smiley Just my thoughts / opinions.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:42AM

I'd remain a raw foodist (75% or more raw).
I agree with others - all you have is now, the present, anyway! smiling smiley

I have been wanting polenta lately, maybe I will make that soon, now that you speak of cravings. I haven't had a cooked meal in weeks. But I'll probably have raw corn first to see if that satisfies me.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:48AM

davidzanemason Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Its worse than you say! LOL. I only have THIS
> MOMENT to live! winking smiley

lol. actually, its BETTER than you say! i only have to be happy and vibrant and alive and awake and make the very best choices for myself in THIS moment. how easy is that?

i wouldn't want to spend my last 3-6 months feeling blunted, depressed, tired, irritable, or sick. i would eat raw til the very end, so i could be my best self, and enjoy my time, and have as much energy as possible to devote to my friends, family, and activities that i enjoy. eating raw makes me feel like MYSELF. the authentic me, as i was meant to be, not some energetically-depleted shadow of myself.

for the surgery question, i would certainly know that having the strongest possible life force and immune system would set me up for the very best chances to live. so i would strive to do whatever i could to strengthen my body and my energetic reserves for that experience, without anxiety or fear.

re: the attacker. i might take a self defense class! that would be fun. but i would probably just spend lots of time hanging out with my daughter. and i'd try to catch all the sunsets.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:01AM

I love raw food, so I'd still be raw....

I'd spend every moment I could, with my daughter & my grandchild (shes pregnant) & her family, my son, mom, fiance and friends.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:44AM

Hearing some nonsense like an "end of my life" diagnosis would motivate me to improve my health even MORE, to the point of taking a crash course in martial arts and knocking some sense back into those doctors while rubbing that diagnosis in their faces!

Actually, I'd probably be unnerved... but motivated to do all I could for myself, nonetheless. My mom died from cancer some years ago, or rather the chemo--and the worst memory I have was taking a walk with my dad one day, and he talked about the inevitability of the situation to me, basically saying there was no hope. I couldn't believe how he had given up. It was rough for everyone, and I can't judge where he was at the time... just wish I had known more. And, it's always been my virtue and my vice--I'm stubborn, I won't EVER give up. >8)

I'd rather keep a clear head on raw, if I could, than be confused and disoriented on any kind of drugs/foods/whatever for my last days.

I definitely wouldn't go down without an ULTIMATE BATTLE. Especially now that I feel like I know the "rules of the game"--the nature of sickness not being entirely out of our hands, etc.

I would also empty my bank accounts, get to the Caribbean, visit all of my friends no matter where they live, spend some time with my dad, and a LOT of time in meditation (just in case I must leave the body).

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:59AM

Being that I'm just about to start my raw food life, if I found out I only had three to six months to live, I'd still start down this road.

I'm so ready for this I could just quack. For months, I've been so sick of food. Nothing ever really sounds good to me anymore. I feel so weighed down and bloated when I eat that I often have breakfast and nothing else but water and coffee/tea the rest of the day. Even so, I still don't lose weight because I have no energy to exercise.

Within the next day or two, I'm considering starting a daily blog with pictures and video of my adventure. It would be partially for accountability to whoever stumbled onto my blog, but I can't imagine anyone being very interested in it. I can't decide, but I'll have to in the next day or two since I'm starting in four days! Either way, I'm still going from SAD to 100% raw on March 1st!

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 27, 2008 03:32AM

My answer is identical to Maui_Butterfly's.

I really feel so much more alive and present while consuming raw, I can't imagine spending my last days feeling dull, foggy-headed, and unwell.

Anyway, there is no such thing as death since this is all an illusion. ;-P

Love,

Wendi

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 27, 2008 08:52AM

I would stay in the now and eat the way I do, because it is what I truly love.

However, if I absolutely knew I would die in a few months, I would definitely max out all of my credit cards buying all of the most delicious and expensive organic fruits and veggies that I often cannot afford.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 27, 2008 09:25AM

The raw foods have such an alive taste that I have no desire to eat anything else for my next meal or my last meal and all the meals twixt.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: February 27, 2008 11:11AM

I won't lie ... I'd be tempted to eat french fries. I have not had them in about three years but I remember loving them. I used to say that if I had a last meal and I was on death row I would have a last meal of french fries. Not regular shoestring but thick steak fries ... or crinkle cut.

A bushel of really good apples with a big bowl of sweet and spicy powdered cinnamon would be a contender in the death row scenario.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: February 27, 2008 11:23AM

Posted by: Azura Skye ()
Date: February 27, 2008 01:42PM

I'd like to say that I'd be certain I would eat just raw food - but it all depends on my mind set in those last months!
Sometimes I feel like eating cooked food, and I do - then sometimes I feel cooked food is nothing.
At this moment in time, I have been eating cooked food - but now I have had enough of it, but I'm in a vulnerable state.
If I had about a year of having good mental strenght then I don't think I would go for cooked, but if I had been having a shakey mental time then I would probably crave lots of cooked.

--------------------------------------------------

[www.azurastorch.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: February 27, 2008 11:31PM

Well I think this question is being posed to people who are being deliberate in at least one of their major life choices so its not a case of, if you had the choice would you be as you are... we are doing this BECAUSE it is our choice smiling smiley

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 28, 2008 12:35AM

What if the question was a bit different? What if you were going to eat your final meal and die immediately after the final bite?

I think I'd eat cooked Indian food, but I wonder if it would still taste good to me after so long without it? :-P

Love,

Wendi
XOXO

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 28, 2008 03:30PM

If i only had 3-6 months to live....
as far as food is concerned..
I would buy the most expensive dehydrator and blender and get as much raw food as i could. i would make it a point to travel to as many raw restaurants as i could. I am passionate about raw and that wouldnt change just because i was dieing. I would like to go knowing that i took care of my body even in my last days,
Other than food... i would quit working, travel to places, sit and do yoga no matter who is watching.i would enjoy the world and think positive. I would go to a stage and dance whatever dance i wanted. i would be free, i would not worry. I would read the bible. i would live everyday as if it were my last.
cooked foods does not even cross my mind......personally i had a bad experance with SAD food, i hated the way it made me feel....yet i wanted more and more,... if i were going to die,.i would not want to feel like that in my last days.

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Date: February 29, 2008 03:31AM

Stephen Levine wrote a book called, "A Year to Live: How to Live This Year as If It Were Your Last."

[www.amazon.com]

I suspect most people die just about the same way they live. The key is, to live. Really live. That's where most people get stuck.

Date: February 29, 2008 07:24AM

I suspect the majority of people never get off the dime and start living. They pass another day and then another birthday without ever making any commitment moves to eat better and to exercise more and to enjoy more and to worry less.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 29, 2008 08:39AM

i like what lee says

yeah, the key is to really live

umm... i think i have some experience in that department LOL smiling smiley

i'll just continue to have a blast... the reason why i would want to continue the raw path is because i think the spiritual body and the physical body are inextricably connected ... in some invisible way... so that what i do in this lifetime will follow me into the next mystery

and in that case, i would like to have my spiritual body as strong and heightened as possible to be ready for the NEXT adventure

well, if there is no next adventure

i'm cool with that too

i could use a little nap smiling smiley

Date: February 29, 2008 08:55AM

Since going all raw it feels like I have reconnected with the life force and I feel alive again.

Date: February 29, 2008 09:58AM

hi EZ rider

i like what u said

it is true

sometimes it feels like a big floodlight just keeps going off in my head

everything loooks so bright and vibrant

like technicolor

and i wonder if everyone else sees the same things i do

but its hard to point out mundane things and say " WOW.. look at THAT"

and someone will just say.. all i see is the ground

what's the big deal?

and i see majesty

growing right underneath my feet

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 29, 2008 10:08AM

i don't know, to be honest. I think, like others have said, i'd focus on my family and on eternity, not on my food. Which I try to do now anyway.

Date: February 29, 2008 10:23AM

Grayzie Wrote:
> i don't know, to be honest. I think, like others
> have said, i'd focus on my family and on eternity,
> not on my food. Which I try to do now anyway.

I agree with you but why does it have to be one or the other ?

Posted by: greenpower ()
Date: February 29, 2008 09:37PM

I would STOP eating, and take some time off...... smiling smiley Serious...

But if I would give myself a chance to survive those 3-6 months, then I would do the Incurables Program of Dr Christopher or of Schulze. This program has saved so many lives, why would it not save mine?

Greenpower

Visit my website and my blog!

[www.natureshealingsecrets.com] (closed on Sundays)

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 29, 2008 10:25PM

I'd quit my job, move to an island somewhere probably and eat all the exotic fruit I could. And if I wanted some cooked food I would eat it and not worry about it. If I knew FOR SURE that I was going to die and there was NO way around it.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 29, 2008 10:37PM

brenna Wrote:
> I'd quit my job, move to an island somewhere
> probably and eat all the exotic fruit I could.

oh gosh, that's what i DID! i must have known FOR SURE that i was going to die someday, and there was no way around it. smiling smiley

Date: February 29, 2008 11:14PM

..hmmm..

Date: March 01, 2008 06:18PM

EZ rider said, "Since going all raw it feels like I have reconnected with the life force and I feel alive again."

Absolutely. I never felt fully alive while filling myself with dead food. After meals, I was tired. Before meals, I was anxious or irritable. I thought I liked some of what I was eating but it didn't give me what I really needed to continue on the journey...

If I really, really wanted to eat dead food, I'd be doing that now. I wouldn't wait until I had a death sentence handed to me by a doctor, a judge, or God.

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables