Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Memory Lane <insert theme song here>
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:26AM

I'm in a mood and thought we could have some fun!

-- How long have you been a raw foodist?

-- What was the last cooked meal you had?

-- What's your bestest, most favoritest raw meal you ever did have in the whole entire world?

-- Fess up, not all raw food is so good it would bring Jesus back early. What's your least favorite raw food?

-- What's your funniest or most embarrassing raw food moment?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Memory Lane <insert theme song here>
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 27, 2008 02:30AM

-About 8 years.
-Dunno...probably a bean burrito
-Hmmm....probably a bean burrito...no kidding!
-Probably grapefruit.
-Probably the time I smashed my hand instead of a coconut.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: February 27, 2008 04:09AM

Haha you crack me up Simple Living!

On and off for about a year but steadily for the past couple months.

Broccoli steamed lightly for 30 seconds (which I eat occasionally)

-- What's your bestest, most favoritest raw meal you ever did have in the whole entire world?

My coconut noodles in a thai peanut sauce or my chocolate cherry "cheese" cake.

-- Fess up, not all raw food is so good it would bring Jesus back early. What's your least favorite raw food?

Eggplant! Can. Not. Stand. It.

The biggest mess I ever had was when I was making a smoothie and didn't have the top of the blender on properly. It went everywhere... all over the kitchen, me and my 13 year old Rott who was not amused at all.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Date: February 27, 2008 04:36AM

Just because I think a person ought to participate in their own posts, I'll give these questions a right go.

T minus four days and counting! (Come March 1st Emeril can kiss my BAM!)

I envision it to include mashed potatoes and M&Ms. Separately, off course! (hmm... or maybe not...)

Simple, pure, farm-fresh strawberries.

Onions! I hate onions with a passion that burns deep within my soul and has the red hot intensity of 2,000 burning suns. Their ooky.

I look forward to this moment in my future. I can see myself mistaking a puffer fish for durian or scaring the colonic practitioner into five years of therapy when a stream of salmon flows down the glass tube. It's so hard to say, the possibilities are simply endless.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 27, 2008 05:10AM

Oh wait...raw meal....I used to love my stuffed mushroom caps and marinated sprout salad.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 27, 2008 06:14AM

Simple Living Wrote:

> -- How long have you been a raw foodist?

Since mid-July of 2007.

> -- What was the last cooked meal you had?

Another bean burrito fiend fesses up! (i still dream about them...)

> -- What's your bestest, most favoritest raw meal
> you ever did have in the whole entire world?

i love to hack into a fresh green coconut with my big machete, drink the water, and eat the meat out with a spoon.

> -- Fess up, not all raw food is so good it would
> bring Jesus back early. What's your least
> favorite raw food?

Lol. definitely one of my terrible nut pates. i can't master it, and its not for lack of trying. i eat them out of pure stubbornness, but they really suck. my problem is i cannot stick to a recipe to save my life. i always have to add SOMETHING else.

> -- What's your funniest or most embarrassing raw
> food moment?

i bought an unidentified bright green bok-choi looking thing at the local farmers market, and made a green smoothie with it that tasted like wasabi and bananas. i let my 5 year old daughter taste it first, and she remains VERY skeptical about my smoothie skills. i am not forgiven. she dips her pinky finger in them now and tries them with all the enthusiasm of a royal taster to a very unpopular king.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: February 27, 2008 08:38AM

I'm glad you're here simple living, You've started some wonderful threads.
>
>
> -- How long have you been a raw foodist?

July 2007
>
> -- What was the last cooked meal you had?
I had a few bites of some cooked food on Christmas, but the last full meal was some Asian style steamed fish with veggies and rice. It was at my mom's 70th birthday last December... I didn't finish the fish or rice, it just didn't sit well in my tummy anymore.
>
> -- What's your bestest, most favoritest raw meal
> you ever did have in the whole entire world?

The first time I made a pine nut saffron sauce, I had grand plans to incorporate it into an elaborate feast, but it tasted so good that I just sat there with a half a dozen heirloom tomatoes and just kept dipping until it was gone. Either that or freshly made pineapple-passion fruit sorbet, eaten out of the vitamix with a spoon.
>
> -- Fess up, not all raw food is so good it would
> bring Jesus back early. What's your least
> favorite raw food?

My least favorite raw food is directly related to my funniest raw food moment, so see below.
>
> -- What's your funniest or most embarrassing raw
> food moment?

Last Saturday night was the second day of the 10 day, liquids only, portion of my cleanse. I looked in the fridge and didn't want to waste some of the food that would have gone bad, so I decided to juice it. ...tomato, red pepper, romaine lettuce, celery, a personal sprout mix (wasabi, basil and broccoli)... I should have stopped there, but I decided to add 3 sizable kohlrabi. This made about a quart of pretty funky juice. I convinced myself that it didn't taste as bad as it smelled and I was able to drink the whole thing. Shortly afterwards I was taking a hot detox bath with several fragrant essential oils... but a few minutes into the bath, with my nose only inches above the oil filled water, I started to notice a very strong foul odor. ...and it wasn't coming from me... at least not at that point. It became so strong that it overpowered all of the yummy oils and thrust me into the realm of evil aromatherapy. I ended up cutting the bath short and discovered that the pulp from the kohlrabi had undergone some sort of quantum funkification and was the source of the febrile miasma that had toxified my detox bath. I decided that I couldn't even subject the worms in my compost to such torture, so I double bagged, buried it in the outdoor trash bin and tightly closed the lid. After several hours I was able to exorcise the evil aroma with enough incense smoke to set off the smoke detector...(which I did). The next morning my landlady was frantically searching through our hedges and flowerbeds. She thought one of the wild neighborhood chickens had laid an egg that went rotten and broke somewhere. I quietly grabbed the offending bag of funk and ditched it in a construction dumpster on the way far other end of the street.
Moral of the story... don't drink the juice if you can't stand the pulp.

Wow that was a long story.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 27, 2008 03:46PM

ROFL... alright, you win!

Posted by: Dulset ()
Date: February 27, 2008 05:14PM

Started Oct 2006

The last meal I cooked for myself with spices oils etc? Cauliflower curry?

Brown rice and broccoli?

All you could eat local papaya and passion fruit (every day for breakfast on vacation in Punta Cana last winter).

Green smoothie older than 45 mins.

Brought a salad dressing to a potluck which looked like vomit. I was supposed to blend in orange juice from 4 oranges not 4 whole oranges.

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 27, 2008 08:52PM

7-8 months

Just last Friday. My parents offered to take me out to dinner to celebrate my purchase of a house (I'm very excited), but my mother was not willing to go the the raw food place. In fairness, our raw food restaurant is a hole-in-the-wall with a very limited menu, but at least we have one! She is vegan, so the place we went to was vegetarian with good vegan support. I got a glass of organic wine and a Thai-themed green salad with baked tofu and some kind of noodles on it.

Probably the lasagna from Raw Food, Real World. I don't make it much because it's really fatty and unless the ingredients are in season it costs a fortune to shop for. (I do cut the pine nuts and olive oil down, though.)

Once when I was making a green smoothie and pulling greens semi-randomly from the fridge I grabbed a small handful of my homegrown mustard sprouts. Mustard and blueberries are not a match made in heaven.

One day at work I noticed some of my co-workers wandering around the office trying to track down a smell which they supposed to be some kind of gas leak. Later they concluded that the smell was some of Ani Phyo's Brazil-Broccoli Mash which I had brought in and was munching at my desk. Nearly a month later I mentioned the incident to my parents, and my father told me, as though speaking to a dim-wit, that of course broccoli smells like gas. Stupid me.

Another time made the mistake of bringing kimchi to the office and eating it in the staff lounge. That really smelled up the room and got a number of comments. The best was when a woman walked into the room, sniffed, and said, "It smells like really good cheese in here!" I haven't eaten kimchi in the office since then, but about a week later another co-worker told me, "You know, every time I see you now I think of kimchi!"

MauiGreg, I want to hear about the pine nut saffron sauce. Where is the recipe from?

Date: February 28, 2008 04:38AM

Forgive me for bumping this thread just once before it disappears into page 2. I was really enjoying everyone's comments. It's kind of nice having a thread on the lighter side from time to time.

Besides, I'm curious about Greg's Pine Nut Saffron Sauce, too!

Date: February 28, 2008 11:39PM

hmmm, are you guys sure you want the saffron sauce recipe and not the kohlrabi juice recipe?

anyway, I made up the pine nut saffron sauce recipe, but the problem is that I never write things down and even if I did, I probably wouldn't make it exactly the same again anyway. When I use recipes from other people it's usually to get conceptual ideas of how something is made and then I wing it. This works great now that I don't cook...it didn't work so well for baking where you actually have to measure stuff.

The basic idea for the saffron sauce is:

About a cup of pine nuts soaked (I think I used macadamias once instead)
about 1/2 gram saffron ground in a mortar and pestle
1 clove of garlic
pinch of Celtic sea salt and black pepper
enough green coconut water (or filtered water) to blend smooth.

I made this before I had a Vita-mix. Pine nuts are so soft that even a lame blender will make them really creamy.

This sauce is very subtle so you don't want to overpower it with any other strong flavors. There are some pictures of it in the "pictures of your food" thread.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: February 29, 2008 12:21AM

MauiGreg,

Do you have a guest room? smiling smiley

Date: February 29, 2008 12:53AM

Unfortunately no. I live in a pretty small one bedroom appt, but luckily i live in maui so I don't spend that much time indoors. I am planning on looking for a place a little further in the country with a bigger yard so that i can do more than just container gardening, sprouting and wheatgrass growing.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Date: February 29, 2008 01:09AM

MauiGreg, I hope you know I was joking! I would never ask a question like that seriously. It's just that some of the recipes you've mentioned sound so good, I thought you must be a good cook! Hmmm... going to have to come up with new terminology, "Cook" doesn't work anymore. I guess we all just got upgraded to Chefs!

I was just hoping to eat at Chez Greg's sometime. winking smiley

Date: February 29, 2008 01:31AM

well my friend, if you (or anyone here) makes it to Maui, I'd love to share a great raw meal...even if it's just an organic field ripened pineapple.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 29, 2008 02:11PM

SINCE 2003
CHICKEN WINGS AND CHINESE FOOD CLEAR NOODLES

AVOCADO/LEMON/DATE/CAYENNE DRESSING ON BUCKWHEAT SPROUTS OR TAHINI DRESSING AND BUCKWHEAT

MUSHROOMS AND OTHER ROTTING FUNGUSES

MAKING A RAW FOOD CAKE FOR CHILDRENS PARTY THAT WAS FILLED WITH THAI COCONUT SHELL ;#

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 29, 2008 05:56PM

MauiGreg, thanks for the recipe. It sounds simple enough. With a high power blender there shouldn't be any need to crack out the mortar and pestle, either. It sounds like it would be a great sauce for a diced cucumber salad or just scooped up with slices of cucumber and bell pepper.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 29, 2008 10:32PM

-- How long have you been a raw foodist? That is a work in progress. I've been slowly transitiong over the past 3 months.

-- What was the last cooked meal you had? Rice and kidney beans last night(I'm very addicted to kidney beans!)

-- What's your bestest, most favoritest raw meal you ever did have in the whole entire world? It's simple really - I bought a giant cut fruit plate and veggie plate at Whole Foods and my niece and nephew and I sat around for two hours for lunch and just ate until we were all full and very messy. My niece had blackberry juice dripping down her face and my nephew had watermelon in his hair.

-- Fess up, not all raw food is so good it would bring Jesus back early. What's your least favorite raw food? Onions. Are. DISGUSTING.

-- What's your funniest or most embarrassing raw food moment? I shaking up a smoothie in my jug and I guess I didn't have the lid on right. It splattered all over my kitchen and work clothes. I was very late for work that morning.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables