Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dehydrator: Reccommendations?
Posted by: nadiarafi ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:20PM

Hi:

I am looking to buy a dehydrator...and it's my first foray into raw food so I want to start small and now spend more that about $40...any suggestions?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dehydrator: Reccommendations?
Date: February 27, 2008 04:32PM

This was my first dehydrator... you can find it a good $10 to $15 cheaper at Target and on ebay sometimes. It doesn't have the capacity of the Excaliber models but it gets the job done (particularly if you are only using it for one or two people.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 27, 2008 06:12PM

You can always do the good eats low-tech/no-heat method. Buy 3 or 4 cheap paper air filters and a cheap box fan. Lay your food in the slats....stack the slats...and bungee the whole works to the fan. Air dry on medium-high for 24-72 hours or until fully dried. Low temps and good eats. Haven't tried it myself yet though. Maybe next weekend for my mom...

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: February 27, 2008 09:55PM

I've been trying to save up for a 9-drawer Excalibur for months and still have nothing saved toward it, so now I'm thinking I might want to go with the 4-drawer. I know it is a lot less capacity but in addition to being half the price I noticed it uses less wattage when running. (Electric bills run HIGH in my part of the country -- where it even got up to 92 degrees day before yesterday!)

Anyone know anything about electric usage? Do you think the 4-drawer would indeed be cheaper to run or is it just a matter of a few cents???

4-tray has a 4" fan - 200 watts

5-tray has a 5" fan - 400 watts

9-tray has a 7" fan - 600 watts

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 10:02PM by Avocadess.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 09:58PM

For the price of a 9-tray Excalibur you could probably buy a stainless steel model by another manufacturer. All that plastic makes me nervous.

Posted by: Avocadess ()
Date: February 27, 2008 10:04PM

Do you know of other brands of dehydrators with temperature controls under 118 degrees?

Plastic at such lower temperatures does not bother me though.

I worry about stainless steel getting into my food too -- has nickel and cadmium! Though that might not be a problem with a dehydrator.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:07AM

Yikes! Nickel and cadmium. Oh man, what a choice. That or plastic. I give up. I'll just have to eat raw, fresh food. smiling smiley

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:12AM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yikes! Nickel and cadmium. Oh man, what a choice. That or plastic.
> I give up. I'll just have to eat raw, fresh food. smiling smiley

Good choice, I'll second that. smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables