Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Where do you buy your produce?
Posted by: kiki_day ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:29PM

I'm curious to see where everyone does their normal produce shopping? Is it from the farmers market? Does your farmer's market last year-long? Grocery store? Local farm? And how are the prices? Do you feel like the prices are below average (a steal!), average or obviously too high?

In Milwaukee, I just go to the local grocery store until June when the Farmers Market opens again. Prices are so-so, the organic spread is more expensive but cheaper at say Pick 'N Save than Whole Foods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Where do you buy your produce?
Date: February 27, 2008 04:34PM

I buy from farmers markets, food co-ops, Whole Foods, Wild Oats and occasionally Trader Joes. The first two, not surprisingly, have the best price 9 times outta 10.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: kiki_day ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:37PM

What is a food co-op?

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 27, 2008 04:39PM

Food here in Minneapolis (within the city) is spendy. I have a co-op near my house but it's small and the variety isn't there. Whole Foods is the most expensive grocery store in the Cities. We have farmers markets here but they're known as "The Asian People Who Buy Food Wholesale From The Same Vendors And Sell It Themselves Market." It's the same stuff as in the grocery stores, but it is a bit cheaper. Very, very, very, very little of it is farm/home grown.

Date: February 27, 2008 04:41PM

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 27, 2008 06:03PM

From the produce stand across the street. They bring me in whatever I want from the Florida State Farmers Markets every Monday and Friday. It's all good. Beyond that, I just buy from local stands and vendors.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 27, 2008 09:00PM

This time of year most of my produce comes from a local co-operative market. In the summer I'm a member of a CSA (I join a farm for a season and then get a share of the harvested produce all season) and most of the rest of my produce comes from our farmers' market. I also go to u-pick fruit and berry farms and freeze a lot of that for the winter. I sprout all year (especially in the winter) to supplement, and this year I will have a yard and hope to get into gardening.

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 27, 2008 09:21PM

Sunflower Market mostly(I think they are only in the west). They don't have the selection of Whole Foods but are much less expensive. I hit them up for everything I can and then go to Whole Foods for the rest.

Date: February 27, 2008 09:24PM

Posted by: davidzanemason (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 12:03PM

From the produce stand across the street. They bring me in whatever I want from the Florida State Farmers Markets every Monday and Friday. It's all good. Beyond that, I just buy from local stands and vendors.

-David Z. Mason

I'm not jealous at all, David. Nope, not at all. :::sniff:::

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 09:30PM

In the summer, I shop at farmer's markets--but I do have to avoid the ones that resell conventional produce. The Midtown Farmer's Market is one that is local-only (Minnesota/Wisconsin).

Now, I shop primarily at a few different co-ops, and the produce center in this place called "Global Market" which is an indoor market with food places from around the world. They often have sales on organic produce and will sell the stuff about to go bad for really cheap. I just ate 5 oz of organic spinach for 50 cents from there. I also do CSAs in the summer and am considering ordering from Robert is Here in FL.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: February 27, 2008 09:59PM

When available, farmer's markets. When not... Trader Joe's, Costco, Wholefoods... anywhere really. Just depends on my mood and money available.

Date: February 27, 2008 10:07PM

Posted by: rost0037 (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 03:30PM

In the summer, I shop at farmer's markets--but I do have to avoid the ones that resell conventional produce. The Midtown Farmer's Market is one that is local-only (Minnesota/Wisconsin).

Now, I shop primarily at a few different co-ops, and the produce center in this place called "Global Market" which is an indoor market with food places from around the world. They often have sales on organic produce and will sell the stuff about to go bad for really cheap. I just ate 5 oz of organic spinach for 50 cents from there. I also do CSAs in the summer and am considering ordering from Robert is Here in FL.

I need a car. I lived in Europe for so long I never needed one. Since I moved back to the states from Ireland, seven years ago, I never needed one. I live and work downtown and the buses go pretty much wherever I need to. But, I'm starting to want more freedom, so.....

Date: February 27, 2008 10:23PM

Simple Living--Get a car? Nooooo! I am totally car-free. I have never had a car. I bike everywhere, it is cheap and easy. I am going to bike over to the Mississippi Market right now (a co-op in Saint Paul) and I live in Minneapolis. If I can do it, you can, too! I bike and walk to all these places I'm talking about. Most everywhere I go is just a few miles from my house, or even downtown, and sometimes I make a longer trip for fun/variety.

Date: February 27, 2008 10:47PM

Posted by: rost0037 (IP Logged)
Date: February 27, 2008 04:23PM

Simple Living--Get a car? Nooooo! I am totally car-free. I have never had a car. I bike everywhere, it is cheap and easy. I am going to bike over to the Mississippi Market right now (a co-op in Saint Paul) and I live in Minneapolis. If I can do it, you can, too! I bike and walk to all these places I'm talking about. Most everywhere I go is just a few miles from my house, or even downtown, and sometimes I make a longer trip for fun/variety.

You're insane. Not really, I'm just jealous and lazy. LOL

I am starting to miss the freedom. Especially when I need larger/heavier items. (Currently need a new desk.) But, I agree with you. I don't want to have a car if I don't have to have one. I love the freedom of owning very little. (I gave away three-fourths of my kitchen!)

As far as biking goes, I'm a writer. Exercise is something we're not familiar with. I do my one sit-up a day. When I wake up in the morning, that's half. When I go to bed at night, that's the other half! People tell me I have the body of a god. Too bad it's Buddha... (I'm just kidding there - I do have some weight to lose, but I'm not obese or anything.)

I tried riding bikes before. Those seats are just not comfortable! I'd like to be able to ride bike everywhere, but I'd have to build up a lot of endurance first. I do intend to start exercising, but riding a bike everywhere will take time. It's a goal of mine though.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 28, 2008 12:33AM

Simple Living Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried riding bikes before. Those seats are just
> not comfortable! I'd like to be able to ride bike
> everywhere, but I'd have to build up a lot of
> endurance first. I do intend to start exercising,
> but riding a bike everywhere will take time. It's
> a goal of mine though.

I have a car and a bike but I use the bike more then the car. I have a city bike that I took the seat off of and got a really comfortable one that makes riding a pleasure. I also got some of those high rise handlebars that let you ride sitting up. I like to get out and ride daily or as often as possible weather permitting because it feels great to get out and the exercise feels good, also it is economical what with the price of a barrel of oil recently going back up over $100. I have a small luggage rack on the back of my bike and some bungee chords and when I return from a ride there is frequently produce hanging off the back. smiling smiley

Posted by: brokenbrooke ()
Date: February 28, 2008 01:37AM

to david zane mason...
i too live in florida(north florida) do the florida state farmers market have a website/ i saw it on my way back from a business trip but have been unable to find any info. maybe i'm looking in the wrong spot. help please... i have a farmers market in jackosnville(the oldest in florida) but they according to some of the dealers i talked to there are no longer organic vendors there>>> help please!!!!
thanks brooke

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:07AM

Hmmm...he goes to the Tampa Wholesale markets. Here's the link to some contact info:

[www.florida-agriculture.com]

And here's the Florida list:

[www.florida-agriculture.com]

-Hope this helps.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Date: February 28, 2008 02:34PM

Simple Living Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried riding bikes before. Those seats are just
> not comfortable! I'd like to be able to ride bike
> everywhere, but I'd have to build up a lot of
> endurance first. I do intend to start exercising,
> but riding a bike everywhere will take time. It's
> a goal of mine though.

I have a car and a bike but I use the bike more then the car. I have a city bike that I took the seat off of and got a really comfortable one that makes riding a pleasure. I also got some of those high rise handlebars that let you ride sitting up. I like to get out and ride daily or as often as possible weather permitting because it feels great to get out and the exercise feels good, also it is economical what with the price of a barrel of oil recently going back up over $100. I have a small luggage rack on the back of my bike and some bungee chords and when I return from a ride there is frequently produce hanging off the back. smiling smiley

I need to make this a goal for me. Truth be told, I've tried the whole exercise fad (LOL) in the past but I never did get to the point where it felt good. True, I wasn't exercising properly or long enough... imagine that. I would love to get to the point where exercise is invigorating.

I'm third guessing my previous second guessing about starting a blog of my whole experience. Seriously, when this works for me, I will be the poster boy for raw foods. 180* difference.

Date: February 28, 2008 02:55PM

When I started bike commuting, I was totally out of shape. I walked sometimes, that was it. But I just kept doing it. And when it snowed, and it got cold, I just put on layers. My balance improved. Think of it as modern-day hunting/gathering--bundling up and going on an adventure to go get your food. My friend got a trailer for his bike so he could haul things around, and for when he goes dumpstering. It could be a great part of your shopping experience.
I am lazy, but there is no other option. It's not like the gym, I can't just decide not to go. I need to go where I need to go. Food isn't enough for health, you could think of this as an adjunct. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Also--biking will free up money for all that organic produce. I love organics because it's better for the land, too smiling smiley

Posted by: brenna ()
Date: February 28, 2008 03:18PM

I should also mention that I have become sort of the crazy citrus lady in the neighborhood. We have an orange tree, but the rest of our citrus trees are just planted and have no fruit so far. I bug my neighbors and in laws to let me pick grapefruit, tangelos, lemons, limes, and tangerines from their tree. Most people have more than they can eat and don't mind at all. Free fruit is definitely the best way to go.

Date: February 28, 2008 03:24PM

Oh yes, I did that in the summer--free fruit gathering. In Minnesota, I would gorge on Juneberries and mulberries and black and red raspberries (though last year was a bad season for raspberries). Also, pears apples plums and we even found wild grapes and cherries. All found in the city! You just have to explore and keep an eye out, especially by more wild areas. Walk around randomly.

Sadly I will be gone for Juneberry and mulberry season this year, forever. I think it starts mid-June-ish.

Date: February 28, 2008 03:54PM

My goal with eating raw isn't to become a guru, a shaman or for spiritual enlightenment. I just want a healthy way to grow old, as disease free as possible and stay active. Unfortunately, that means exercising! There's no way around it. Going 100% raw is 100% easier for me than this!

I don't mean to make myself sound like a slob. People don't gape at me and point or anything. I'm just your average joe. It's just that I've never gotten much exercise other than walking and hiking/canoeing/camping a few times a year.

My goal will be to reward myself with a brand new mountain bike after one year at this. Until then, I'll exercise and walk. I have no desire, fit or not, to ride a bike in the winter!

Date: February 28, 2008 04:55PM

Mountain bikes are super comfortable, but sooo slow and heavy. I say this only as a lazy person, to let you know, you have to do more work to go the same distance and it will still take you longer. Unless you are biking in the mountains, of course winking smiley I have always had roadish-hybrids, or now a road bike with upright handlebars (I sacrifice a little speed for comfort).

Date: February 28, 2008 05:06PM

I just know that 10 speeds are out of the question. What the heck were they thinking with wheels as thin and a super model?

The only other bikes I know of are the mountain bikes and the Mr. Rogers Neighborhood bikes with the bells and baskets. I'll have to research bikes before I choose one. Comfort will have to be a priority. (Seriously, what were they thinking when they designed those seats?)

Date: February 28, 2008 08:28PM

Most people I know that bike a lot have single speeds. They have less parts to break and get salt and dirt stuck in them, so are more reliable. You could do the Mr. Roger's bike (cruisers), they are very comfortable. But they can take 50% longer to get somewhere, seriously!

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:32PM

OP, i get my produce from a local farmer's market, scouring the stalls for organic produce. In addition, I go to 2 organic shops which are very expensive and spend too much there and need to spend much less. I also go to the grocery store to buy fiji water and a few other items such as cleaning products (white vinegar, bi-carb soda, borax, powder, washing soda) etc.
I've been getting pears, plums, apples, peaches, Isabella grapes and blackberries free!! thanks to my mum's trees, a local tree I found and a couple of friends who have more than they can eat on their trees smiling smiley I also sprout and have a veggie garden with tomatoes, capsicum, spinach, squash, zuchini, some lettuce, shallots and herbs.

I'm dreading doing the winter on raw. (btw, I live in Australia)

Date: February 29, 2008 12:32AM

Posted by: Grayzie (IP Logged)
Date: February 28, 2008 04:32PM

OP, i get my produce from a local farmer's market, scouring the stalls for organic produce. In addition, I go to 2 organic shops which are very expensive and spend too much there and need to spend much less. I also go to the grocery store to buy fiji water and a few other items such as cleaning products (white vinegar, bi-carb soda, borax, powder, washing soda) etc.
I've been getting pears, plums, apples, peaches, Isabella grapes and blackberries free!! thanks to my mum's trees, a local tree I found and a couple of friends who have more than they can eat on their trees smiling smiley I also sprout and have a veggie garden with tomatoes, capsicum, spinach, squash, zuchini, some lettuce, shallots and herbs.

I'm dreading doing the winter on raw. (btw, I live in Australia)

Grayzie, you're the gray-test! You reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask but could never remember.

*****How does everyone clean their produce?*****

Sounds like you have a great set-up there, Grayzie. Nice variety and avaialability!

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:57AM

I cart tank water from my mum's and when i need to wash I use that. However, I try and buy organic so only need to wash dirt of lettuce etc.
I think my naturopath recommends diluted Dr Bronner's Sal Suds, i can't find it in my notes, but i think that's what it was.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 29, 2008 01:52AM

Farmer's market and I try to stock up. There are so many in Miami. During the week I will eat supermarket fruit

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables