Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dry skin
Posted by: lovekk ()
Date: February 27, 2008 07:16PM

I have been raw for almost a month and I absolutely love it. I've never liked the kitchen, but can now stay in there all day preparing "gourmet meals". I did not have any health problems to cure, but I do have extremely dry skin. I have always had to use a prescription lotion to help curb the cracking as well as not taking baths/showers daily, opting for a sponge bath every other day because the water seems to make it impossible to keep oil in my body. I thought going raw and eating "good fat and oils" would help from the inside out. But so far, no such luck. If raw foods can help cure cancer, surely it should be able to do something about dry skin.
Can anyone HELP????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dry skin
Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 27, 2008 07:29PM

Welcome to the forums lovekk!

Your skin will take time to detoxify and adjust to your new lifestyle. It's not a quick process, but it is one that you're in control of. You can detoxify as quickly or as slowly as you want to.

To help your skin, be sure to drink plenty of clean water throughout the day. In the cold weather season skin dries out naturally anyway.

One way to really hydrate your skin, and make it as supple as a baby bum, is to get a colonic. It flushes you out and hydrates the skin like nobody's business! I'll admit that I haven't had one yet, myself, but this is the testimony of several people here (and elsewhere) that I've heard.

Again, welcome!

Date: February 27, 2008 08:44PM

Thank you, its a joy to have other raw foodists to commune with.

I do drink lots of water and have had many, many colonics. I love them. When you finally decide to get your first colonic, you'll wonder why you didn't start years ago.
I live in Las Vegas, which is extremely hot and dry and I'm sure doesn't help any. I guess it's just a waiting game then.
Whether my dry skin goes away or not I'm raw forever!

Date: February 27, 2008 09:29PM

Have you tried dry brushing?

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:05PM

I just started dry brushing, and I have ABSURDLY dry calves. They will just itch and itch and itch and itch. The brushing seems to help temporarily, but I've only been doing it for 5-6 days. My skin is adapting to the brushing more, it's definitely invigorating--I'm hoping it clears my situation, as well, but I'll have to wait and see.

I'll let you know! =)

Date: February 28, 2008 04:12PM

I haven't decided if I'll incorporate dry brushing into my routine yet or not. I don't want to be so busy doing all these extra things that it interrupts my day. I mean, a person simply can't do everything. I'd like to do it for the purpose circulating the blood though.

For some reason, both sides of my stomach have been itching a lot lately. I don't get it.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 28, 2008 05:29PM

if i were having that problem, what i would try is:
* oil pulling
* dry brushing
* neem oil
* neem herbs taken internally
* coconut oil
* kukui nut oil -- i used to work in a store that sold this hawaiian oil, and people from around the word would call to order and reorder it, saying it was the only thing that helped them with excessive dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, etc. we'd get unsolicited testimonial letters and emails, too. i used it during my pregnancy to avoid stretch marks, and it worked, i have none.

good luck!

Date: February 28, 2008 05:50PM

Posted by: maui_butterfly (IP Logged)
Date: February 28, 2008 11:29AM

if i were having that problem, what i would try is:
* oil pulling
* dry brushing
* neem oil
* neem herbs taken internally
* coconut oil
* kukui nut oil -- i used to work in a store that sold this hawaiian oil, and people from around the word would call to order and reorder it, saying it was the only thing that helped them with excessive dry skin, eczema, psoriasis, etc. we'd get unsolicited testimonial letters and emails, too. i used it during my pregnancy to avoid stretch marks, and it worked, i have none.

good luck!

Would you do all of these? If not, which one do you recommend most? New words for me to research - neem and Kukui nut (Sorry, I love learning!) If I ordered the kukui nut oil, how long does it keep?

Date: February 28, 2008 08:30PM

Yes I have been dry brushing for about 2 weeks once a day, maybe I should increase it to twice. It has not helped thus far. I have also began self massages once a day using coconut oil all over my body, but that hasn't helped either. I will try the oils that maui butterfly suggested.

Date: February 28, 2008 08:30PM

what is oil pulling?

Date: February 28, 2008 08:41PM

lovekk if you do a search for it you will find quite a few really great threads on the topic.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 28, 2008 09:35PM

Moving to a hot, wet climate will help.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:19PM

I have chronic excema and while being on a high raw diet for 3 months I have experienced other benefits (chiefly more energy and significant weight loss), my excema is still rampant. I think skin takes a while to heal and it just takes patience.

Date: February 28, 2008 10:24PM

Posted by: arugula (IP Logged)
Date: February 28, 2008 03:35PM

Moving to a hot, wet climate will help.[/quote]

The exact opposite of what I enjoy! I don't mind wet. I lived in Ireland! But, I can't bear the heat. I'm sweet. I melt.

Grayzie, I hope you find relief soon! That has to be very difficult for you. Have you tried an ayurvedic practitioner?

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 28, 2008 10:34PM

Simple Living, what is an ayurvedic practitioner?
I've been on a naturopath's program for 3 months and she has directed me towards this raw lifestyle along with other supplements and herbs and stuff. So I am running with her and trusting her (trying to anyway smiling smiley )

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:03PM

re: which one? i already do the OP and the DB, and i've added neem oil to my cracked heels on occasion (i go barefoot a lot) i have noticed since going raw that my usually dry-as-a-mofo elbow skin is soft and *gasp* normal now. not sure if its the raw, the OP, the DB or the combo. my advice would be to incorporate any of those things that attracted you! if OP and DB sounds fun, add that. if you want to try one or both of the oils (maybe try one on each side of the body, that might be a fun experiment...) if that didn't work, i would go for the neem herbs -- my ayurvedic practitioner says the herbs taken internally are more potent than the oil applied externally.

kukui oil keeps indefinitely i think. i had my bottle for well over a year, and i did not refrigerate it.

re: oil pulling... my ayurvedic practitioner turned me on to it. she gave me cold pressed sesame oil, but someone on this board mentioned that curing it first works better. i'm going to check that out, too.

[www.americanchronicle.com]
[www.earthclinic.com]
[www.oilpulling.com]

Date: February 28, 2008 11:07PM

Thank you so much for that.
I will just focus on the wonderful transformations that my body "is" going thru and just oil up a few extra times a day smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:09PM

I usually don't use a lot of products on my skin, but the Talulah line is really good if you are looking for something. Also, the vegan products are labeled as such.

talulahskincare.com

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables