Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Slow or quick exiting?
Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: February 28, 2008 01:24AM

I would love your opinion, everyone, on whether avacado would be considered to be a slow or quick exciting (quickly digested) food. I know that technically it is a fruit, but it is also a fat, and fats take longer to digest. I know of one expert who says to forget about the fat - avos digest fast...

I also vaguely remember someone posting an approximate list of digestive times for several foods, but haven't been able to find it again. If someone would help me with the link for that or point me towards similar information I would be most grateful!

Thank you!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slow or quick exiting?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:10AM

My own experience is that it seems to digest rather quickly - although most of the websites I've looked at seem to indicate 1-2 hours. I tend to go on the safe side and wait the 2 hours. This is not a problem....since a meal of avocados DOES fill me up that long! LOL.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:22AM

I have found both avocados and bananas to digest fairly fast and well. I like to eat 2 to 4 bananas as a meal and follow it with 2 avocados as another meal a little later to Knock Out appetite very effectively.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:50AM

Fats take longer. I would say slow.

Posted by: Soraya ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:11PM

Thanks for all your answers! Arugula, how long would you say it would take to digest?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 28, 2008 09:14PM

There's actually more to it than that (isn't that usually the case) than my sweeping statement. It depends on your habitual intake (are you used to high fat diets, if so your transit time will not be much slowed by a high fat meal) and your dietary fiber intake (high fiber = reduced transit time).

It can be 8.5 hours or less for a low fat high fiber meal if that is what your gut is accustomed to or 30 hours or more for a low fiber high fat meal if that is not what your gut is accustomed to. You have probably read many complaints here of 80-10-10 types (high fiber, low fat) feeling upset and sluggish after rich high fat gourmet condensed low fiber meals at raw restaurants.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:02AM

For me, quick is watermelon or other melons that leave the stomach in 15 to 30 minutes. Avos are relatively quick at 1-2 hours when compared with a hamburger or a bowl of rice. For myself, if I eat avos, I typically won't eat a sweet fruit until 4 or 5 hours later. But I might eat some citrus or acid fruits after 2 hours or so.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 29, 2008 03:28PM

HMM I WOULD SAY AVO IS LIKE ANY OTHER FRUIT, IT IS HEAVIER BUT IT DIGESTS ITSELF. I CANT SAY FOR SURE, BECAUSE THIS IS KIND OF THE UNKNOWABLE UNLESS YOU HAVE AN XRAY AND IT DEPENDS ON WHAT ELSE YOU HAVE OR HAVE NOT IN THERE

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables