Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mandoline & turning slicer questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:58AM

Researching mandolines/turning slicers and had some questions:

What is the difference between the horizontal vs. vertical turning slicers? Do you have a preference? (I’ve been looking at Benriner ones.)

If I get a turning slicer, will I find a mandoline still useful? And, any opinion between Benriner smaller vs. larger size? How about straight vs. v-shaped blades?

Any other general thoughts/opinions regarding these tools would be much appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mandoline & turning slicer questions
Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:24PM

sprout

The Benriner horizontal turning slicer has blades that are approximately 50% thicker than does the vertical slicer..This means that the prongs on the julienne blades are much less prone to bending..The horizontal slicer will accommodate a larger diameter piece of veg so that more end product can be produced before needing to insert a new piece..The horizontal slicer has a longer throw which also allows for more to be produced before refilling..It is aimed at professional kitchen use so that it is better built than the vertical..This is a relative difference, as neither tool can possibly compare to the French Bron Le Rouet horizontal turning slicer which costs about $350.00..The horizontal slicer is more stable than the vertical slicer..I own the horizontal Benriner..

I've used about 10 different mandolines..They all work well to one degree or another..I own the French Bron mandoline & the large Benriner mandoline..The Benriner mandolines are a Best Buy, IMO..For the high cost of a mandoline with built-in legs, one can purchase the large Benriner mandoline & 15-30 sets of replacement blades..SHARP blades are the KEY to any cutting tool, especially mandolines..Excessive force can lead to very severe cuts..I recommend to ALWAYS wear a cut, or safety glove when using a mandoline..

Check out the Sani-Safe Cut Resistant Gloves at Ka-Tom Restaurant Supply..They come in small, medium, large, & extra-large sizes..

[www.katom.com]

Good Luck!!

Bruce

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 03, 2008 08:02PM

Wow, thank you for your intelligent & impressive response. Agreed on the safety glove.

Follow up question if you don't mind - where did you purchase your Benriners?

Sprout

Posted by: baltochef ()
Date: March 05, 2008 04:51PM

sprout

I do not recall where exactly I purchased my Benriners..

At the time I searched the web to find the best deal, & went with that..

Good luck..

Bruce

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 05, 2008 08:23PM

i found my best price on a benriner slicer at www.sharpknives.com

mandoline: [www.sharpknives.com]

horizontal turning slicer:
[www.sharpknives.com]

i got the cooks help upright spiral slicer, and i like it awfully well. i'm sure the horizontal one is nicer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables