Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sprouted oats & wheat?
Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: February 28, 2008 05:25AM

what would you do with sprouted oats or wheat?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sprouted oats & wheat?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 28, 2008 12:35PM

Some just add them to salads. Some mix them into various recipes. Others grind them in a coffee grinder or food processor to make a paste...and then dehydrate them in thin sheets. I've done both....and neither seemed like an optimal food to me....after many tries.....so now I eschew them. Just my experiences.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 28, 2008 01:15PM

What to do with Oats and Wheat? You don't have to sprout them....just soak them and add them to Green Smoothies. I've experienced that Wheat Sprouts are very 'sticky' and difficult to chew.......WY

[www.rawbakery.com]

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:51PM

In Mexico, they make "atoles" with oats or corn flour--basically smoothies with milk and sugar and maybe a banana (? I am not Mexican). I think a smoothie with a banana, date, and maybe nut milk would be good with oats.

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 28, 2008 02:55PM

Grains are the one area I'm still a little sketchy in, in regards to the raw life. I cooked grains regularly. Love 'em! How do raw foodists usually use grains? Which do you sprout and which do you just soak?

Date: February 28, 2008 03:14PM

I occasionally add mine to smoothies but mainly I just soak it overnight in water, drain and add nut milk, dates and spices. I typically only eat this during the winter months though.

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:49PM

Posted by: TheCoconutChronicles (IP Logged)
Date: February 28, 2008 09:14AM

I occasionally add mine to smoothies but mainly I just soak it overnight in water, drain and add nut milk, dates and spices. I typically only eat this during the winter months though.

I really enjoy grains and can't imagine not eating them. The way I describe the raw life to the few friends I've told about it is: I eat God-made food instead of man-made food. I'm of the personal belief that if it's a natural food, it's good for you. Grains are included, but I had no idea there were ways of eating them without cooking them. Soaking them softens them enough to be enjoyable enough to eat? Remarkable. And I never would have thought of sprouting them.

If anyone is willing to clarify something for me with all of this:

Which grains and legumes do people generally sprout?
Which grains and legumes do you just soak?
Which grains and legumes either don't work for soaking/sprouting and aren't worth the trouble?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 28, 2008 08:57PM

Some people make sprouted wheat bread, when the sprout gets to be about 1/3 as long as the grain, you put them in the food processor and process until you get a thick paste but all the grain part has to be ground down otherwise it turns into little rocks in between your teeth. Then you shape into patties and dehydrate.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 29, 2008 11:06AM

something to think about... grains are a pretty recent addition to the human diet. many people are sensitive to them, cooked or raw, and find that eliminating them from their diets helps with weight loss, mental sharpness, energy levels, etc. when you consume grains, they ferment, forming acetic acid, stimulating the adrenals and messing with the thyroid.

just a theory, but something to check out for sure. i don't feel good when i eat grains, cooked or raw. it is tough to conceptualize life without them when you first dive in to raw foods, because they ARE such a huge staple. (former tortilla and rice-aholic, here, so i know of which i speak...) but there are all kind of transitional foods that mimic grains (mostly nut recipes), and i have found that phasing those things out becomes pretty easy (particularly since i don't have a real dehydrator and a freakin' tiny package of raw crackers is $7!!!! i can phase that out pretty quick, believe me!) smiling smiley

i'm just getting in to sprouting, so i might try to sprout some grains and legumes and see how it goes. i don't really like to take anyone's word for anything, i like to check it out for myself. i encourage you to do the same, but be open to the results. there were many things i thought "i could never give up X" but i have proven myself wrong on that score so many times in the past 6 months that i realize i should just quit saying it about ANYTHING. (even my beloved red cabbage!)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables