Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

RAW FOOD BAR
Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 28, 2008 03:34PM

I got a raw food bar at the whole foods store and ate it this morning.
the ingre. dates, cashew butter, org raisins, cinimon, raw rice,
it said raw, cold pressed, no preservitives, vegan, and blah blah blah its good for you stuff,.
anyone else eat these?
really are they considered raw if they are already packaged?
I know its up to me to listen to my body and make my personal decisions but just want to know what you guys think about these food bars,,,,

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: RAW FOOD BAR
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: February 28, 2008 03:47PM

Those raw food bars make me thirsty and dehydrated. For many people just starting raw, they are not bothered by this feeling. But for me, its a sign that this food isn't good for me. A sign that a food is good for me is I can eat all day for all my meals, and I don't feel bad at the end of the day.

Posted by: rost0037 ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:09PM

Maybe good for transition, bad later on. Very good for a SAD eater who normally eats french fries and hamburgers. The good or bad is contextual. Let it happen naturally.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:11PM

Right. I agree with Bryan. I find fresh, raw, well hydrated plant foods to be optimal for me. Of course the fruit I eat fits that bill. According to an individual's plan, if any condiments or processed foods help move them toward THEIR raw food goals....and more lifetime fresh, raw plant food intake...then I say go for it.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:17PM

Personally, things like raw food bars are out for me. I wouldn't be opposed, at some point, to try making my own (just for fun and experimentation), but the more I research this, the more I'm finding that I want to keep things as simple as possible - for the most part. Making beautiful recipes has it's place and I want to incorporate some fun into my lifestyle, but I'm more interested in simple living. Hey, that would make a great screen name! smiling smiley

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: February 28, 2008 04:18PM

I think its self explanatory.

Posted by: stoner ()
Date: February 28, 2008 05:07PM

Thanks guys... i have to say it did not fell as good eating it as if i were to home make something..

.........living to tell a tale of a life it self........

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: February 28, 2008 06:23PM

One of the concerns I have about eating raw food bars is that they are stale compared to fresh raw natural foods. The stale aspect concerns me because of the destruction of the nutrients due to oxidation occurring in the exposed surfaces and then being stored in a package where further oxidation occurs. I like to eat my raw foods fresh and natural with as little oxidation as possible. If the raw food bars are made fresh and consumed fresh then they won't be oxidized.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2008 06:35PM by EZ rider.

Posted by: Leesah ()
Date: February 28, 2008 07:02PM

Although I agree with everyone (that the Organic Raw Bars are probably not optimal), I eat them all the time! Especially the chocolate coconut bar...It reminds me of a healthier version of a candybar. Of course, I'm transitioning so I may wean myself off them later. I also find they are a good way for me to try and boost my caloric intake (as I just can't lose any more weight...people are harassing me).

Posted by: claire ()
Date: February 28, 2008 08:10PM

I like the raw food bars, but for me the problem is they just don't fill me up at all...I could eat four or five at once and they're 300 calories or so each! And they're expensive. I tried them, realised I liked them a bit TOO much and stopped buying them smiling smiley

Claire

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 28, 2008 08:54PM

I don't mess with them, they look like candy to me but more expensive. Does anybody really believe that one of those bars is anywhere near as good for you as a big leafy salad? I doubt it.

No shortcuts. Clean and chop and chow down on good fresh juicy things for the most part.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: February 28, 2008 11:30PM

> A sign that a food is good for me is I can eat all
> day for all my meals, and I don't feel bad at the
> end of the day.

i like that advice, i'll remember that!

Posted by: mrdc ()
Date: February 29, 2008 12:39AM

i used to eat lara bars...loved the apple pie.
hated the cost.
then i bought raisins dates apples walnuts and cinnamon and made my own.
easy to make and WAY better than the bars.

just mix the raisins and dates (mush them up first)
then chop up and apple, and walnuts, put them on top
put cinnamon on top of that and roll it up. yummy

enjoy

Posted by: Lightform ()
Date: February 29, 2008 04:34PM

I agree with the first few posts.. I think its something that people loose as they get more and more into the foods that make them feel good as opposed to those that they feel good about eating.

Posted by: GypsyArdor ()
Date: February 29, 2008 06:03PM

I like some packaged raw snacks, but the lara bars always give me a headache for some reason (I'm guessing because they aren't organic?).

XOXO

Posted by: frances ()
Date: February 29, 2008 06:52PM

GypsyArdor It may be the bar's low moisture. Dehydration is a common cause of headaches and those things are large enough to cause some dehydration if not eaten with liquid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables