Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cold Showers!
Posted by: Baby ()
Date: March 01, 2008 12:26AM

Does anyone here take cold showers instead of hot? I read about it maybe a month ago, and it seemed to make perfect sense to me. I've been doing it for the past month and I will never go back to hot or even warm water. Hot water always left my skin dry and itchy, and I was always tired after the morning shower. Now my skin is feeling much better, and instead of being tired and hung over in the morn, I'm energized and ready to go. Cold water seems like a very natural thing.

Here is an article on the topic

[www.associatedcontent.com]

Here are some testimonials from another site,

"1/24/2008: Jacob Witherson from Raleigh, North Carolina writes: "I began taking cold showers 2 weeks ago. Needless to say, they make me feel incredible, like I can touch the sky. No joke. I usually take them at night but I had a state test today so I decided to take it since I've read on here it boots energy and concentration (I get distracted and tired really easy) and it turned out to be true. They also make me sleep like a baby, where before I had insomnia. As 2 others mentioned, it makes you hair really curly (I have extremely curly hair, even with warm water) but they get less frizzy than they usually do. I would reccommend these to anyone as they do help. Word of advice, I purchased one of those shower heads that have the metal cord thing so you can hand hold it to spray parts of your body. This helps a lot as you have more self control over doing it and dont instinctively move out of the water, you are forcing yourself to do it. Awesome remedy, thanks much!!"

"12/14/2007: Kathryn from Melbourne, Australia writes: "I had a terrible rash under my armpits a couple of years back now. I tried EVERYTHING! I remember it would flare up and the itch would increase 10-fold when I had hot showers. It got that bad that the skin had broken. In conjunction with a honey based cream and using bicarb. as a deodorant, the cold showers bought IMMEDIATE relief. With the water directed into the armpits, the itch would go straight away. Most certainly, the hot/warm water did 'something' to stimulate the bacteria (or whatever!) that was present. Thanks for such a wonderful site; I've been a long time reader and always visit whenever ailments inflict me or my family. ACV and H202 being my favourite remedies!!"

"10/01/2007: Steve from Santa Rosa, CA writes: "I have been taking cold showers for about a month. I also started a self massage with almond oil, especially on scalp. Hot showers and baths now feel like they drain energy. I take cold showers in the morning and at night. My hair and skin look and feel wonderful! I will never take hot showers again, unless I am coming out of a cold lake or something."

There are many more interesting experiences on this site.. [www.earthclinic.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cold Showers!
Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 01, 2008 01:09AM

Maybe a few months down the road I will find those special powers inside myself. But until then...

*shiver*

Maybe I'll practice in the summer! >.>

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 01, 2008 02:08AM

I've been dry brushing my skin each morning and night and i follow it with a hot shower, but I always end the shower with alternating hot and cold... ending it during the cold cycle for as long as I can stand it. it does feel great, but I can imagine if I was still living in Vermont, during the winter I'd have to be awfully motivated!

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Date: March 01, 2008 04:48AM

It just wrecks my entire person if someone flushes and the water goes cold for a moment.

But I suppose, at some point, it would have wrecked my person if you took away my alcohol/fried foods/sleep until noon/chocolate bars...

I've been dry brushing, too, and I'm too much of a wimp to switch the water temperatures! >.<

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 01, 2008 04:51AM

smoochies for my baby, hey girlie!

cold shower=very unhappy coco. i am always cold so forget that noise. it's one of those "good for you" things that i just ain't doin'. it's practically coco soup when i bathe, bubble bubble, boiling Hawt!

i don't mind a cool shower in the middle of summer but that's as far as i'll go.

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: March 01, 2008 04:56AM

I have started to end my showers with cold water for about 20-30 seconds, I may just increase that, thanks!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Berlinpathos ()
Date: March 01, 2008 05:33AM

I live in Arizona, so cold showers are a summertime treat... after the first few minutes the water gets warm from the pipes that aren't directly under the houses, haha.

Posted by: TigerDak ()
Date: March 01, 2008 10:00PM

Boy I haven't been to this forum in ages. Baby, is that you?

You really want me to take cold showers? Don't you know that men shouldn't do that? winking smiley

Date: March 01, 2008 11:34PM

holy mac, peeps are coming out the wood work all over!

yo TD, how's thangs?

Posted by: TigerDak ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:23AM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> holy mac, peeps are coming out the wood work all
> over!
>
> yo TD, how's thangs?

Things are good in my neck of the woods. Just chillin' like a villain.

Posted by: Baby ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:28AM

Hey ya'll!

Coco, sup girl! Tiger how's it hangin?

You guys are all such sissies, afraid of a little cold water.

Fle4life and MauiGreg, I was doing the hot/cold thing for a long time as well, but to tell the truth, wasn't feeling any kind of results. I think fully cold is the trick. Although I didn't get into the super duper freezing water right away. At first I started with just luke warm, and now have progressed to a nice crisp cold. I still have a while before I get to butt ass freezing. I typically start at cold and the last few seconds will blast the ice cold, it feels great. I have, out of necessity, taken 2-3 warm showers while doing this experiment, and I just felt gross, hot and tired. I actually feel a lot cleaner with cold water, it's very strange, I thought it would be the opposite.

Also, inspite of what may seem, I'm much less cold. In fact I'm almost never cold anymore. I'm not cold at home, nor outside. I don't feel constantly uncomfortable, either too hot or too cold. I just feel...comfortable....and it feels good.

C'mon people, get with it, nature's water is cold.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: March 02, 2008 12:34PM

It is nice, I been fasting now a week-- took a hot/cold alternating shower last night, mainly because I was freeezing!

Tonight I will suck it up and do the cold shower!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Raw since March 2007

http://rawveganlondoner.blogspot.com/

Date: March 02, 2008 02:03PM

d'oh! i'm cold just reading about it!

you'd love my mama, right into the cold lake as soon as weather permits and until it gets frosty out. i don't even put my toes into that brr chilly!

Posted by: sebzzz ()
Date: March 04, 2008 11:03PM

I've been on a raw diet for two months now and started to feel really good a couple of days ago until I took a cold shower.

I seems it put me right back to detox and now I don't feel bad, but I need my long nights back and I'm not feeling wonderful like I was before the shower.

Well, hope to feel great again soon!

Date: March 04, 2008 11:08PM

I took a considerably cooler shower today, and gave myself a big pat on the back for it. tongue sticking out smiley

It was nice when my head was under the water, and wasn't quite as bad as I thought. Baby steps...

Anyway, supposing there is an apocalypse in 2012 or something, hot water heaters might not be an option, so this is just survival training for a wider variety of climates/circumstances...?

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 05, 2008 04:11AM

i've been trying to end on a cold note in my showers... brrrrr... i'm such a wimp! but my hair is definitely curlier. now i just have to decide if that is good or bad.

or not!

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 05, 2008 05:23AM

I don't know about it being Nature's way..'cause some of those Island retreats have very warm ocean waters.

I love my hot baths..just so relaxing, but I have been doing the warm/cold pulsing afterwards to rinse off and to get my thyroid going..as they say that helps. I do like cool baths in the hot summer but that was in SoCal..so I don't know about Portland..maybe in August!

I might give it a try though, as an experiment..would doing a cold shower every morning for say 7 days in a row be enough to give it a fair try? Or would it take longer to say one way or the other about the energy thing?

If I hate them, but know they will end after the time trial..I might actually be able to do it for 1-4 weeks. It's spring..it won't kill me anyway..not like it would in winter heresmiling smiley

Love,
Prism

Posted by: flex4life ()
Date: March 05, 2008 07:55AM

I'm slowly building myself up to a full cold shower. Now i start the water at luke warm, then cool, then cold for 10 seconds (makes me roar like a lion for some reason).

thanks, this is excellent therapy!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: dinesh75 ()
Date: March 05, 2008 03:26PM

I live in the DC area and take cold showers all year round, be it winter or summer. Of course, in summer it's a treat! In winter, the cold water is really uncomfortable, and the shower is really short! But once I come out, I feel really warm and feel my skin responding to the stress and I feel great. If I go out in the cold, I don't feel that cold!

If I am sick, I just take a lukewarm/cool water shower.

Posted by: EnlightenmentNow ()
Date: March 05, 2008 04:49PM

A perspective (or few):

If you've ever cleaned out or changed a hot water heater (the tank style), you see all the metallic gunk and rust-like buildup inside there. Hot water is definitely "dirtier" in that way and can especially be so if you are at the end of the tank. I consider this if I am cooking with, drinking, or showering.

Another perspective.....cold water is somewhat less "chaotic"....

...I know...it sounds weird, but water has a lot of "special" properties that we may not ever really understand. I recommend wikipedia-ing "water" sometime - fascinating. Its properties are pretty much responsible for life....the fact that when water freezes it is actually LESS dense than the liquid form - very odd indeed.

If you've seen "What the bleep do we know".....you've seen how water is receptive to the consciousness around it,.....the energy fields.....and it can kind of...absorb those and hold it like a battery, so to speak.

So, it probably depends on.....the water source, mineral contents (himalayan stream, reverse osmotic filtration,distilled?), how you boil (gas, electric, wood camp fire? type of pot, surrounding conditions), the state of the starting cool water (for either cool or hot scenarios)(stagnant? in the sunlight? bacteria? sitting in toxic pvc pipes?...)

....oh, dear god....so so so many factors. Not easy questions....but I know this......for me....before and after a really hard workout, a hot shower is nice to loosen things up.

Love,
Paul

[www.oneillpaul.com-a.googlepages.com]

Posted by: pradiata ()
Date: March 05, 2008 05:34PM

I've long been a cold-hands-and-feet, hot-hot water loving person, but I've been surprised the last couple months how good alternating cold-warm water at the end of the shower feels. Maybe I'll try a whole cold shower.

You can get used to anything, though. When I was sailing around the southern end of South America, we would bathe on deck with buckets of sea water - with icebergs floating alongside. And boy-o-boy did we feel lively after that!! lol

- Emily

Posted by: sagebush ()
Date: March 09, 2008 05:00PM

i dont have a shower, but would a jump into the tub full of cold work?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: March 09, 2008 05:08PM

I tried to do it, and I couldn't make myself get into the cold water shower. I can do the cool to cold though after I am in for a while, but I just love my hot baths too much right now!

I had to take very cool baths sometimes in SoCal but I'm in Oregon now and it's not summer and I don't get those hot Santa Anna Winds blowing thrusmiling smiley

Maybe in the summer I'll give it another try.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables