Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

chopped salad
Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:55AM

anyone here a fan? I LOVE them, but haven't found an efficient knife or tool to make them easily. Any ideas, suggestions? The current knife I have makes mush. How about the food processor? Too chopped? What is the best knife?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: chopped salad
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:05AM

Hmmm...a good heavy chef's knife would work. You could just lever it until you achieved the consistency you want. Alternately, I always preferred a good long, heavy bread knife to just carve my fixins however fine I wished. You COULD use a food processor I'm sure....depending on how much cleaning you want to do. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:15AM

I have always had a fear of sharp knives so I don't own any. I just use a typical small serated steak knife, the kind that comes in individual servings of silverware sets. It takes time to shred finely so I usually cut in bigger chunks.

Using the food processor on the "slicing" side of the blade makes it too fine for my liking, although I use it sometimes for carrots and other vegetables. And as David mentioned, it's just extra things to have to clean up.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:46AM

i have a terrific knife from The House Of Knives in vancouver, a lovely gift from my littlest sister. i can chop anything with that monster.
did you know that you're more likely to cut yourself using a dull knife than a sharp one? it's true.
henkle is a terrific knife maker. expensive, but less money than a stove so there you go.

you know, using a food processor with just fruit and veg isn't too much of a clean up, i just rinse it right away and i'm done. so long as i didn't use any onion or garlic tha tis!
but i don't like how they chop actually so i only use the knife for that.

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: March 02, 2008 05:28AM

good sharp knives make your life easy. you don't need a whole set of really nice knives, just a chef's knife and a paring knife. i've had my henkels knives for 20 years, and don't see why they wouldn't last me another 20+. i can chop up a salad right quick!

the chef's knife is the workhorse of my kitchen. i recommend a 10" over an 8" since a longer blade makes cutting jobs go faster (more blade to do the work). keep it sharp! a sharp blade prevents accidents because it slices without struggle. your chefs knife should be heavy and well balanced and feel good in your hand. carbon steel holds an edge a lot longer then stainless steel.

Posted by: Grayzie ()
Date: March 02, 2008 09:43AM

i have an awesome grater that is so quick and easy to do almost all veggies. I have knives as well smiling smiley

Posted by: veggiefreak ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:12PM

i wonder if I can get one at bed bath and beyond - or do I need to order the henkle knives? I am going to attept it again at lunch, but might run out earlier for a good knife. I have everything else I need, even a huge bamboo cutting board that I love. Just missing the tool to cut on it with.

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: March 02, 2008 01:49PM

I have a Wusthoff butcher block set that is completely awesome. I bought a Henkle cleaver for my coconuts. I used to use my chef's knife but I like the cleaver better. I keep everything razor sharp.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2008 02:08PM

veggiefreak, if you go on the website you should be able to find a list of places near you that sell them. you can call the company and ask that question too, or call your local store and ask them directly. save yourself some time running around.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables