Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eggplants
Posted by: cpak ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:25PM

I used to love cooked eggplants and eggplant puree. I have a craving for eggplants now. I was wondering if anyone had recipes for eggplants? Yummy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eggplants
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:40PM

I am not sure that you can digest these raw, but it might be easier to get something out of them (nutrition-wise) if you blend them and let them steep in some type of acid like citrus juice or vinegar for a few hours. The anthocyanins in the skin are very good for you, well, the purple ones at least. Dunno about the white ones.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: March 02, 2008 03:57PM

Raw baba ganoush! The recipe I use is very by-sight, but you can take any regular recipe, switch out salt for sea salt, make sure the tahini is raw, and use raw eggplant. Slightly increasing the amount of lemon will take care of the eggplant if it marinates for a few hours--the only difference is, I found I needed considerably more salt to get rid of the bitterness sometimes.

But it's great, and it's given me no digestive troubles. I'll put it in a salad with some sprouts, usually.

Posted by: pakd4fun ()
Date: March 02, 2008 06:00PM

I used an eggplant in a recipe that called for it to soak for a while in salt water and then was dehydrated. It turned out good.

Posted by: rawnoggin ()
Date: March 02, 2008 06:01PM

I made a recipe of thinly sliced courgette and eggplant, marinated/topped with a sauce made of blended tomato, olive oil, sundried tomatoes, fresh herbs, dried herbs, onion and garlic and a tiny bit of salt. It was quite nice, but at the time I was going off that sort of thing so didn't enjoy it as much as I might have done a few months ago.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: March 02, 2008 06:39PM

yeaaah I made eggplant pizza ages ago.. twas nice..but im not really into veggies thesedays!

Used cashew cheeze, spinach and tomato
here they are smiling smiley

Posted by: Simple Living ()
Date: March 03, 2008 10:09PM

Used cashew cheeze, spinach and tomato
here they are smiling smiley

Er.... yeah. I need an explanation on this one! USED?????

Posted by: anuiyer7 ()
Date: March 03, 2008 11:01PM

Do you dehydrate the eggplants for this pizza? Can you please share the rceipe if you don't mind.. I am havig some friends and would like to serve this as appetizers...

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 03, 2008 11:58PM

Surprize, eggplant is a fruit, not a vegetable.

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: August 02, 2009 01:14AM

I am making raw eggplant chips....

1. Peel and sliced
2. covered in salt water to soften up (as many sites advised)
3. drained, rinsed
4. marinated in tamari and sesame oil (might use tahini next time instead or miso)
5. placed in dehyradtor at 95.

I didn't have garlic or any of the other stuff most other recipes called for and frankly alot of the spices i saw on the net were not raw or whole foods so i decided to skip them..

I have been making hummus like crazy and usually eat it on sliced cucumbers to help keep me light (hummus weighs me down). I tried to eat eggplant raw chopped in my salad, and it was NOT my thing.... so since I got these bags of eggplant for free I decided to try some different things out..

I even saw "eggplant bacon".. it had a ton of seasons on it andi'm not sure it was exactly healthy, especially given that it was imitating BACON!

Sorry if there are newer threads about this, but I didn't find any during my search! and besides, eggplant is SO worthy of bumping!

Tiffntwins

Posted by: socalvdubgirl ()
Date: August 02, 2009 04:41AM

quick tip for getting the bitterness out of an eggplant. slice it up and then sprinkle sea salt on the cut sides let them sit in a colander place a bowl underneath to catch the water that will drain out.. Pretty cool tip first time i tried it i was surprised how much brown liquid seeped out of my eggplant. After this is done you might want to rinse off the salt by the way..

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: August 03, 2009 03:09AM

Simple Living Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Used cashew cheeze, spinach and tomato
> here they are smiling smiley
>
> Er.... yeah. I need an explanation on this one!
> USED?????

I think it means, the verb, 'to use'... ie 'I used cashew cheese' etc....

not second-hand cashew cheese... I hope... cuz that would be gross :-P lol

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables