Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

b 12 and zinc
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 03, 2008 10:05PM

hey guys, have been raw for a month and learning learning learning. one of the things i read stated that a downside to raw is you don't get enough b12 or zinc in your diet and it would affect your immune system, leading to colds, flu, etc... What do you guys do to supplement that part of your diet. Do you take supplements, are there f/v out there that have them, what do you all suggest. Thanks and hope your having a killer day. Damon

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: b 12 and zinc
Posted by: brenna ()
Date: March 03, 2008 10:16PM

I know a lot of people don't do it, but I supplement and am pretty happy with it. I am pretty new to raw though, from what I've read a lot of people here started off with supplements and then slowly phased them out.
I'm pregnant so I take a prenatal, but before that I only supplemented B12. If you balance your diet you should be able to get enough zinc I believe.
Do what feels best for you. It's easy to find a vegan multi vitamin, obviously it won't be raw though. I generally suggest supplementing until you've fully researched and have a balanced raw diet. I found that in the beginning my meals were not balanced at all and as I'm learning more about raw foods I'm getting much better at that.
I'd recommend putting in everything that you eat on a site like fitday.com or nutritiondata.com for a while to make sure you are getting a balanced diet.

Posted by: MauiGreg ()
Date: March 03, 2008 10:38PM

b12 is the only supplement I take on a regular basis. I'm not dogmatically opposed to the use of supplements if needed.

Aloha Nui Loa,

Greg

A great many people think they are thinking when they are really rearranging their prejudices. - William James

There is no pill that can be swallowed,
There is no guru, that can be followed, - Michael Franti (Pray For Grace)

The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion. - Albert Camus

Posted by: cpak ()
Date: March 03, 2008 10:48PM

I thought you could get B12 from spinach and almonds.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 03, 2008 11:28PM

Yeah, if they are contaminated with animal matter or manure. Not very likely in the USA or any other Westernized country.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: March 04, 2008 12:04AM

Too late to edit above so I wanted to add this, I am a teensy bit skeptical about the RDA for zinc ever since I read an abstract stating that "normal" zinc levels were pathogenic in dyslipidemic (abnormal blood fats, a marker for heart disease risk) men (which is normal and usual, these days).

So maybe it's set too high for optimal health.

Can't say for sure. I just have some skepticism now.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 04, 2008 12:38AM

Ive been getting great levels of zinc, if you want to check out my fitday public account (from my blog page). i also get b12 from nutritional yeast but i think it's best absorbed sublingually (for anyone, omni or otherwise), so i take a b-12 supplement.

[utopiankitchen.wordpress.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables